Hey guys,

My 2013 am std fender strat has a new interesting issue. When played on the A or low E string between the 15th-22nd fret, the guitar produces a really strange tremolo like effect. One guitar tech said it sounded like it was "under water." They adjusted the neck via the truss rod, checked saddle heights, pickup heights, etc and are still not sure of what the problem is. I've left the guitar w/ them for the weekend to have the head tech take a look at it. Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
I suspect some kind of phasing issue with the pickups. Does it happen on every position on the pickup selector, or just one/two?

That, or your guitar is haunted.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Lots of guitars do this.

I've noticed it on nearly all my guitars. On Strats they call it Stratitis.

Lowering the pickups can help, otherwise you just need to ignore it, I can hear it on nearly all guitars and I've had to learn to ignore it. It's normally higher up the fretboard, I've found.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Aug 30, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
Lots of guitars do this.

I've noticed it on nearly all my guitars. On Strats they call it Stratitis.

Lowering the pickups can help, otherwise you just need to ignore it, I can hear it on nearly all guitars and I've had to learn to ignore it. It's normally higher up the fretboard, I've found.

it happens on all pickup selections.

mephaphil, i think it's worse than you're assuming. it's beyond ignoring. i've never had a guitar do this before. if this can't be fixed, i would return it.
I'm pretty sure it's the oscillation that comes with strings being pulled by magnets. Stratitis.

I've had it, and still do. It might be worse on yours but it's a common issue that is generally fixed by ignoring it. Lots of people say it's part of the Strat tone.

It's like the G string warble caused by the scale length, once heard, never unheard but it's on all Strats.

Try a few others, you'll hear it on all of them.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Aug 30, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
I'm pretty sure it's the oscillation that comes with strings being pulled by magnets. Stratitis.

I've had it, and still do. It might be worse on yours but it's a common issue that is generally fixed by ignoring it. Lots of people say it's part of the Strat tone.

It's like the G string warble caused by the scale length, once heard, never unheard but it's on all Strats.

Try a few others, you'll hear it on all of them.

I don't know. if the problem persists when i get it back from the shop on tuesday, I'll post a video. to me, this is not something that i'll be able to ignore. It's not just minor tone oscillation, it sounds like a full trem pedal is switched on in a really gross setting.
Try the other strats in the shop too. If it's that bad it might be something else, but this topic comes up every now and again and its always Stratitis.

Post the video.
I have a 97 Fender Am Strat and it doesn't do what you are describing. If it can't be fixed you should return it and get a new one.
Quote by Mephaphil
Try the other strats in the shop too. If it's that bad it might be something else, but this topic comes up every now and again and its always Stratitis.

Post the video.

i'm left handed, but i've played a 2011 am standard strat in the store that didn't have this problem. it was "Special ordered" and i was told by the store that there would be no refunds :/ ....
1. Does it do it when unamplified? 2. Did you try lowering all of the pickups?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
1. Does it do it when unamplified? 2. Did you try lowering all of the pickups?

yes and yes. the "tone oscillation" is more pronounced when amped, but it's there acoustically as well--it just "buzzes" more.