Hello this is my first post on this forum since ive just decided to get into guitar,after reading some of the threads i think you all seem very knowlegable and should be able to help me,

so.....

Im going to start guitar once i get my birthday money in afew weeks which should be roughly £700 and im seriously clueless about what i should be buying with this.I would really like the equipment that i do get to last me a good few years aswell as be sufficient for more advanced play which i hope to get onto at some point.Im not in a band and dont plan to gig what so ever in the future and just plan to play in my house.

anyhow...Ive narrowed the guitar choice to either the jagstang,strat or telecaster (do any of you have more than one of these and could say which you prefer) to play sort of red hot chilli peppers/nirvana style music.

so now you know abit about me what set up should i get? including amp,cables etc with prices aswell preferably.as i said im completely clueless about what stuff i actualy need for my setup and any help will be greatly appriciated .
>Inb4 Viper 30 and a HSS strat.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
for Nirvana you'd want a humbucker in the bridge position. and single coils in the neck, or a HSH with coil tap neck and bridge would work too (no idea how common those are though)

Then with the HSS combo you have the middle and neck for chili peppers.

I really should get myself a guitar with single coils in...

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
ah right sounds good thanks.what about cables and picks? do they actualy make a differance or can i just pick up a £5 lead and a £1 pick
Picks its all about personal preference, they come in all shapes and sizes. Just get a load of different sizes/makes/types of material. Most people tend to go for Jazz IIIs.

I personally use Dunlop tortex's varies from .88mm to 1.14mm

Leads, I wouldnt go for the cheapest one but wouldnt bother with the most expensive one either. Id probs pay around £15 per lead i got, think thats a 10m one, but again it varies on what length you like

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
As Carrot has said, I would suggest a strat style with a HSS set-up. A humbucker (or a "double coil") pickup in the bridge, or farthest from the headstock, position will produce a thicker and fuller sound for stuff by Nirvana and other rock/grunge/pop stuff. With 2 single coils in it as well, you can get some "cleaner" tones for blues, pop, and lighter rock stuff. If not, you can get a guitar with 2 humbuckers (HH setup).

I'd definitely check out a Fender MiM (Made in Mexico) Strat since they play well, sound nice, and are affordable (in USD, they're like $300 used, so you should expect about the same price in pounds. New, they're like $500USD). Hell, I'll even push for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. It has two humbuckers and I've had mine for 5 years and it's been great for me. It's the first guitar I boguht with my own money (2nd ever that I didn't touch for more than a month).

For an amplifier, it depends on how much you'll have left over from the guitar. From what most of the people on here say, look into the Peavey Vypyr series (preferably the 30w or 60w versions). I played the 30w version at a local Guitar Center 4 years ago and it's a nice sounding amp and you can use it until you develop an ear for it and find "your" tone. It'll definitely do well for the first few years of playing.

I hope you do well with playing the guitar and you really enjoy. Be sure to come here asking questions, there are people who are more than happy to help out a new guy.

Edit: I forgot to mention about picks and leads/cables. A decent cable here in the states should cost around $15-20 and about 12ft is the longest it should be. Picks are more of a personal preference, so you should get a decent collection of different sizes, makes, and materials. Jazz 3's are popular, but I never used them. I personally moved on to Dunlop Nylon 0.88mm (perviously used Nylon 1.00mm for years).
Skip the username, call me Billy
Last edited by aerosmithfan95 at Aug 30, 2013,
Don't get a squier, nor get an epiphone.
If you want to buy something chinese, get yourself a guitarfetish's Xaviere.

You'll need decent (at least) s shielded mono cable with 1/4" jacks at both ends.
Y' know, the ones they use to connect the guitar to the amplifier.

I'd say no more than £3 for a 3 meters cable, but you'll indeed find some high priced one.
As long as you don't buy something complitely wrecked, you'll be good.

You'll need a guitar indeed.
For your tastes, an HSS (humbucker, single, single, meaning the bridge pickup is a humbucker (two coils, bigger), and the other two are single coils) seems like a pretty solid choice to me.

My avatar kinda gives away the guitar I prefer, but that's just me.
Teles aren't really good for nirvana and rhcp, while though jagstangs are good for nirvana, you'll probably want a strat for rhcp, and a lot of people will tell you that a strat is the most versatile guitar out there.

A peavey Vypyr tube (the tube part means that there actually are tube in it) is also a good choice indeed, but I'd say you'll prefer a Fender Mustang III unless you don't want to play really heavy metal stuff.

You see, guitar amplifiers amplify your guitar signal, but there are ways and ways of doing so, and the main ways of doing so are tubes and transistors.
Amps implying the last ones are often referred to as solid state amps, as opposed to gas state, which refers to tubes but is never actually used when speaking here.

Also, guitar amplifiers are divided in 2 "parts", called stages.
The first is the preamplifier, aka pre or preamp, which gives the most part of the character you'll get to your sound, and amplifies enough to be appreciably amplified by the second stage - the power amplifier, aka power amp.
That stage brings a veeeeeery low level signal to an audible signal.

Tubes are usually preferred to transistor for they are warmer, are said to have a better response, and sound better when pushed into distortion.
They actually have a more "musical" sound for they distort even harmonics instead of uneven ones (or maybe it was the contrary, but you get the point), thus resulting in a smoother and more musical sounding distortion.

But don't get me wrong, it's no angels choir, it's still distortion.

I personally prefer them because they have a more dynamic distortion, so if I'm slightly touching the strings I get no distortion and said volume, while at that same amp volume I get distortion when I play harder.

In fact, SS and tube distortion sound different, and it's just up to the player to decide what he/she prefers.

To get a lot of different sounds anyway you can always use something digital.
Digital stuff is said to be lifeless, but you don't notice that too much when using it in conjunction with analog stuff and most importantly, if the digital stuff you're using is good.
Peavy Vypers', Fender Mustang' and Rolan Cubes' digital modules are good, Guitar Rig's is meh.

So anyway, if you get yourself a digital amp, aka modeling amp, you get a ton of different sounds from just one amp!
Awesome, right?
In short, yes.
They don't sound like the real thing, the real tubes, the real amps they're trying to emulate, but they get pretty darn close for a fraction of the price.

Also, a modeling amp usually has a ton of effects to play with, so you can decide what you like most and what effects to get together with your next, big, awesome amp.

So anyway, an HSS strat, maybe from guitarfetish.com, a cable, and a Fender Mustang III or Peavy Vypyr tube, depending on what you like most.
The Mustang is said to have better cleans, and it definitely doesn't do good when trying to sound like a heavy metal amp.
The Vypyr tube on the other hand has a tube output section, and it seems to be better at distorting stuff.

For nirvana and rhcp I'd say Mustang III, but maybe you secretly love Intervals so, you decide.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
you really have two options here- either get a good guitar with most of your budget and pick up a little modelling amp for home practice (e.g. vox mini3, roland microcube, both under £100), or split the money more evenly to get a pretty good guitar alongside a pretty good (probably all-valve) amp.

the advantage of the former is that it's probably best for practising at home, but the latter will let you jam/gig without having to upgrade.

regarding cables, you can get pretty good cables from the likes of award session or kabl for around £10-£15. I'm not sure there's any point in paying any more than that (even when you get to a higher level). But the really cheap tat you're liable to pick up for dirt cheap at a music store is rubbish, avoid that.

+1 on an HSS strat/superstrat. That's my answer to everything, lol, but it really is a pretty versatile setup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i would more than likely end up playing ALOT of rhcp style music with the softer sounds rather than nirvana (i know my username is confusing :p) although i would still end up playing nirvana aswell at some point.you guys seem to love those HSS's and the reviews look awesome but in a ideal world what would be the best possible guitar within the £700 range... i looked at the gretsch white falcon that john frusiante uses but yeah....a bit out of my range.
it's up to you really and depends on how much you're going to play the heavier stuff. if you really are going to play the lighter stuff 95% of the time, an SSS strat might well be a better idea.

I like the tokai stuff- you can get an MIJ tokai for around £500 if you're lucky (they're SSS). Fretkings are quite nice, too (the blue label), you can pick them up for ~£400 which'd leave you a fair bit for an amp. They have SSS, HSS and p90SS models.

From fender, the MIM classic series is likely the best thing in your budget. Again, SSS. If you want HSS Fender has a bunch of HSS models, too.

Godins are probably worth a look, too, I think they have HSS models under your budget.

EDIT: I've heard good things about the G&L asat tributes, too, but I haven't tried them.

are you going to be gigging/jamming with friends early on or will you just be mucking about in your room for the first good while?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ive been trying to look for a HSS strat shape but theres so many to choose from.

Best idea is to just go into a BIG guitar shop (mainly because theres more to play) and just play a load of HSS guitars.

We can sit here and list off a load of guitars, but thats all online stuff, and for your first one id probs go try a load.

IF you have an experienced guitar playing friend definitely bring them along too

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
can you play at all yourself yet?

bringing a guitar-playing friend can be a double-edged sword if you're not careful. I'd still probably do it if you can, so you don't get rooked, but if you're not careful (depending on what the friend is like) you could end up with the guitar your friend wants, lol.

Also if the threads on here are anything to go by, most "guitar-playing friends" are full of shit. the amount of threads we have on here where "My guitar playing friend said "X", is that true?" and where it was BS of the first order is ridiculous... There's a difference between claiming you know all about guitar and actually knowing all about guitar. Also you can be a really good player and actually know very little about the gear (the reverse is also true, of course).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 30, 2013,
just going to be playing in my room alot of the time really,some of my friends play but they are on a much higher level than me so i wont be playing with them anytime soon.what amp would you say for having in my room? bearing in mind ill be using a pair of sennheiser HD600's with it most of the time
p.s i cant play at all ;p literally i dont even know where any of the chords are or how to play at all... ;(

i dont even know what gain and tone means on the amps lol

Ive not really got many friends that play the sort of music im after
ah ok

as i said, the roland microcube and mini3 are pretty nice for not much money, but if you're using headphones and more hi-tech stuff, there may well be better options- computer-based options, for example. I don't really know anything about that type of stuff, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok ive narrowed it down to either:

Gretsch Electromatic G5120
Fender Stratocaster HSS
Fender Stratocaster SS

with a Roland microcube amp....

for playing RHCP 99% of the time aswell as indie rock/alt rock which should i be getting? i love the look of the strat but my idol (John Frusciante) used a Gretsch White Falcon which i would assume isnt too different from the Electromatic?
Imo id go fender MiM HSS strat. And peavey viper 30 with the fancy foot switch thingy (FPV or something like that)

more stuff to play around with on the viper. or that could also be a bad thing...

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I've never actually tried a gretsch I get the feeling they're a bit niche, but as you said, frusciante plays a gretsch at times, so
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
anyone got any gretsch experience who has also played a strat? which one would you say plays better etc.
It go for the fender.
Or maybe a HH guitar like a PRS or a super strat with coil splitting on the neck pup too.

Just thought, My fender telecaster is HH but coil splits.
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=06030813034818
bit cheaper too

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Gretsch make fairly idiosyncratic guitars. Beyond the user association, something I would suggest is that by learning on a strat, the most copied guitar archetype, you might be in a better position to move onto different guitars and understand different pickup sounds in the future.

Plus the RHCP sound is synonymous with strats- while John has used jaguars, white falcons and all sorts, the strat (and it's neck/middle single coils, present on HSS models) is widely considered his signature instrument.

Also, you may find yourself considering the gretsch electromatic inferior to the high end white falcon you really want. You're likely to feel more like the strat is the 'real deal', because even low end fenders have the look and feel buyers want. In a few years, if you're getting better and still want a gretsch, you could start saving up for the one you REALLY want, while still owning a satisfying strat.

Good luck and happy shopping!
Dude, where's my band?
Everyone here is saying go for the strat (including myself), so if you want to hear someone say get the Gretsch, then ask at the Gretsch forums or something.

As said above, the strat really suits what you're going to do, and John Frusciante uses strats quite often. Remember the guitars he plays live is not necessarily what he used in the recording sessions.

The strat is really versatile and definitely worth it so go for it.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Just bought a HSS American Fender Strat and a peavey amp ;D thanks so much guys!!!! fingers hurt so bad from all the practise ive been doing.Not to sound wierd but dont new guitars smell so good ;D
nice

and yeah though it's a pain when you can't get rid of the smell and it smells the entire room
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i await your NGD thread...
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Congrats, cherish that new guitar smell.
Dude, where's my band?