I think i've posted about this before but i'm beginning to get aggrivated with it. I have a VHT special 6 ultra. Put in new JJ tubes about 2 years ago. All of my cables are relatively new but I'm going tomorrow to get all new cables and patch cables. my rig is as follows:

Schecter hellraiser/luna acoustic electric (10ft livewire) tc polytune (1.5ft livewire) crybaby 535q (generic patch) phase 90 (fender patch) tc hall of fame (generic patch) TS9 (3ft livewire) mxr noise clamp (10ftlivewire) amp.

all powered by daisy chained 9volt power supply. I'm getting all new livewire cables and am going to replace the generic patch cables with livewire or fender or something somewaht trustworthy. I'm hoping that its just the cables but I have had this issue consistently for quite a while. Brought the amp into guitarcenter once and, of course, when they plugged it in there was no noise. the best way to describe the noise is basically like a flamethrower.

IF the cable change doesnt work, what else could the problem be? I've wiggled tubes around and made sure connections were good and whatnot. The problem happens with both normal and ultra inputs on the amp, noise is the same on all texture positions and impedance positions. any suggestions?
What power supply are you using? If the amperage isn't sufficient to power the pedals that could be causing some noise.

Another thing could be that your power at home is lousy. Do you live in a particularly old place?

Noise problems are very hard to diagnose over the internet, is there anyway you can record a clip and post it here?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W0FicjhIJg

This was recorded a while ago but the noise is exactly the same. And the house isnt old, built in the late 80's i think. and all of the pedals need 9v supply and thats what their getting. the noise is still there even if i go direct from guitar into the amp
Hmm....

How experienced are you with electronics/fixing amps?

If you have none or very little, I am afraid to say that it may be time to take it to a tech. The power could still be an issue here, and the fact that it sounded completely fine at guitar center makes me consider that even more.

Another thing I assumed but shouldn't have, are you sure it isn't the guitar? That doesn't sound like a guitar problem on the clip, but it is another factor to consider.
I had this the other day.

got some new tubes for my amp and still havent fitted them yet...
still waiting on other parts.
my amp is a Blackstar HT5H though
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Another thing, it could be the tubes still. 2 years isn't out of the ordinary for tubes to go bad, and there is no guarantee you didn't end up with bad ones from the start.
i've had 2 guitars through it so i'm fairly certain it isnt the guitars. I dont think i really play enough for the tubes to have died already especialy since I was away at school all last year and havent had much playing time this summer either. Is there any way for me to check if the power is bad at the house? volt meter? any other electronics that may be affected?
Quote by andrerist
i've had 2 guitars through it so i'm fairly certain it isnt the guitars. I dont think i really play enough for the tubes to have died already especialy since I was away at school all last year and havent had much playing time this summer either. Is there any way for me to check if the power is bad at the house? volt meter? any other electronics that may be affected?

TBH with you I am not sure what you do to check the power, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will drop in and say.

As far as the tubes, did the noise happen before you put them in? Some tubes last 10 years, some last 10 seconds. While JJ is a reliable brand, there is no guarantee that the tubes didn't go bad prematurely, there is no set life expectancy. Did you replace ALL the tubes?
If it happens when you plug the guitar straight into the amp you don't need to go buy new cables.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
If it happens when you plug the guitar straight into the amp you don't need to go buy new cables.

While I agree he most likely does not need any new cables, as far as I am aware it still takes a cable to connect your guitar to the amp input, so.....
Quote by dementiacaptain
While I agree he most likely does not need any new cables, as far as I am aware it still takes a cable to connect your guitar to the amp input, so.....

x2 on that.

It could be a bad tube. Play time has nothing to do with it. I had a JJ take a shit on me with less than 5 minutes of playtime. Buy 1 new tube and switch it into the different positions.

Also when the noise is present smack the top of your amp and see if it goes away.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.