So, I have a Jackson Dinky Pro (DK2m) I'm thinking about tricking out - new pickups, Petrucci wiring, and a new bridge. Ideally I'd like to keep the bridge a low profile one, so a Floyd Rose Pro is what I've been looking at. But I have NO idea if it will fit in the JT580LP cavity.

Anyone put a Floyd Rose Pro in place of a JT580LP? Or should I just get a Gotoh FR and be done with it?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The only trems are the floyd rose pro variants, and the schaller floyd rose

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar_tremolo_parts/Floyd_Rose_tremolos_and_parts/Schaller_Locking_Tremolo_System.html

"The string tightening screws for this bridge do not protrude as far out the back as the Original Floyd which means the looks are a bit cleaner and less wood needs to be removed for a recessed type body bridge rout." From Warmoth

http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Floyd-Rosereg-Tremolo-Black-P577C694.aspx

In order to fit a non low profile/schaller floyd rose, you need to route out 3-5mm off of the back of thet cavity

???
Last edited by solidrane at Aug 30, 2013,
Don't get the Floyd Rose Pro. Get the Schaller Original Floyd Rose.

I have one of the low profile ones from Warmoth (I believe the Schaller licensed one) and on my DK2 there is about a half-inch gap between the rout and the back of the tightening screws. It doesn't look that good.

Just go with the regular version. It should drop right in with no modifications on a Jackson, or anything that is routed for a Floyd Rose for that matter.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Aug 31, 2013,
Mhm, I found that nothing was a perfect fit. Either the string locking screws were too long and didn't fit or just left a reasonable gap.

Here's a schaller in a dk2m:
???
http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm (info in that link, if you scroll down a bit, on what's a direct swap and what isn't)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm (info in that link, if you scroll down a bit, on what's a direct swap and what isn't)

Seen that.

Guys, an OFR is known to fit in the JT580LP cavity. Gotoh FR = OFR sizewise.

Also, THIS is a Floyd Rose Pro:
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 31, 2013,
i think the studs on the gotoh are marginally bigger

big problem with the pro (at least here in europe) is it's a lot more expensive
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think the studs on the gotoh are marginally bigger

big problem with the pro (at least here in europe) is it's a lot more expensive

It is here in the States too! It's like 1.5x the price of an OFR.

And I wasn't planning on doing a stud swap if I could avoid it.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
yeah but if it's a direct swap you might as well, kind of thing.

Also I remember contacting WD music, I think, about my gotoh and they said if I didn't use the studs it came with it'd void the warranty- it'd probably work, but it'd void the warranty, IIRC, is what they said. So that's probably worth bearing in mind, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by solidrane
Mhm, I found that nothing was a perfect fit. Either the string locking screws were too long and didn't fit or just left a reasonable gap.

Here's a schaller in a dk2m:

Yeah that's what I was talking about. That gap looks too wide for me, that's why I like the original versions because that doesn't happen.

Stud swaps are a pain in the ass but it is kind of a good thing to do sometimes because the studs that the guitar already had is either:

A) a lower quality than the ones included with the new trem
B) won't fit the new tremolo correctly
C) are worn out and need replacement anyway

So I will always swap out studs when I need to just to be sure.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
^ yeah that's sorta what i meant when i said "might as well". added to the possible voiding of your warranty, it's probably a better idea to swap them if you can at all. especially if they're a direct swap.

i know on my ibanez the studs just popped out (if i grabbed them with pliers)? maybe they're glued in in other guitars, I dunno. But then my ibanez studs were the wrong size so that's not ideal, either
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The 580 bushings on my guitar can be removed.
If you dont mind some scars on the studs, pliers are a good tool for this.
If you don't want any damage, wrap a string around the stud while in the bushing and begin to wiggle it out.

Both removal methods take time and strength.

And yes the FR pro is 150% or higher, more expensive in europe (ouch)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/floyd_rose_pro_vibrato_black.htm
???
I've pulled studs before (Wilkinson VS100, placed the bridge wrong... You get the idea)
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah that's sorta what i meant when i said "might as well". added to the possible voiding of your warranty, it's probably a better idea to swap them if you can at all. especially if they're a direct swap.

i know on my ibanez the studs just popped out (if i grabbed them with pliers)? maybe they're glued in in other guitars, I dunno. But then my ibanez studs were the wrong size so that's not ideal, either

It really depends on the studs. Ibanez parts seems to be a bit bigger than your typical OFR sized parts. I've used stuff that just drops right in, and others that needed to be filled and re-drilled for a smaller size or reamed for a larger size. It just depends on who makes it.

A cool trick I learned from Brian over at Project Guitar was to take the studs out and then use a heat gun or a soldering iron to heat up the bushings to melt the glue. When that is done, put the studs back enough to catch the threads, wrap them in a towel and use pliers to pull straight out.

Once that is done, just use a mallet to lightly tap the new bushings in. Depending on how soft the wood is, you might want to put some glue on them to hold them in.

The thing that you really have to be careful about both taking them in and out is that everything is done straight. If you do it at an angle (especially in a soft wood like Basswood) you can actually crack the wood around studs and basically ruin the entire body. That's what happened to my old JEM555 body and why I replaced it with the green RG body.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
^ Oh no i meant on my ibanez the whole thing (studs and bushings) just popped out with pliers. But maybe it was the exception. I definitely agree with exercising caution, as you said, you can do irreversible damage if you're not careful.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?