This amp is pretty much perfect for all the genres and band i like playing but im not sure about one... pink floyd... i'm not asking for a tone that sounds exactly like pink floyd because i know that would be expensive ass hell but will it be able to get near the tone? i know it needs effects like a delay.. phaser etc. but was wondering if it could be able to get close to the tone with all the pedals needed...
It probably won't be the best for Pink Floyd. But a big part of Gilmour's sound was the Big Muff.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I'm a huge Floyd fan, and own the JCA50H.

I tried using a big muff (the white one) in front of it, but to me the thing just sounded well... too fuzzy?

I find that I can get a pretty sweet floyd tone just by dialing back the amps gain (like the opening riff of money), or better yet just crank up the pre gain on the clean channel. My 10-band EQ really helps as well.

Also, if you're looking for a delay to cover some Floyd, here is the one you need!

I bought one last fall, and its been a sweet romance ever since I used it a couple times on my bands last album, if youre interested in hearing what it sounds like through a JCA!

Cheers!

SP
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Aug 31, 2013,
That Delay pedal is beautiful
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
My issue with the JCA20 is that it doesn't sound that great with the big muff in front of it when it is slightly overdriven. Makes it hard to get the later "The Wall" type of Gilmour lead sound. Just my opinion.
Quote by al112987
My issue with the JCA20 is that it doesn't sound that great with the big muff in front of it when it is slightly overdriven. Makes it hard to get the later "The Wall" type of Gilmour lead sound. Just my opinion.

thats what i was afraid of... but i think what i'll do is just use my mxr 10 band eq along with a boss ds1 for slight amount of gain and a delay pedal.. i know it might not sound perfect but i think it might work.
Quote by red.guitar
I'm a huge Floyd fan, and own the JCA50H.

I tried using a big muff (the white one) in front of it, but to me the thing just sounded well... too fuzzy?

I find that I can get a pretty sweet floyd tone just by dialing back the amps gain (like the opening riff of money), or better yet just crank up the pre gain on the clean channel. My 10-band EQ really helps as well.

Also, if you're looking for a delay to cover some Floyd, here is the one you need!

I bought one last fall, and its been a sweet romance ever since I used it a couple times on my bands last album, if youre interested in hearing what it sounds like through a JCA!

Cheers!

SP

cool man thanks for the recommendation.. whats the songs you used it in and in what album?
Quote by GuitarNewbee
cool man thanks for the recommendation.. whats the songs you used it in and in what album?

If you follow the link in my sig to my bands facebook page, check out the songs Rest of the Night (ecohrec setting), Check it out (MOD setting), and Sinking (MOD setting).

Let me know what you think of the songs
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
If you follow the link in my sig to my bands facebook page, check out the songs Rest of the Night (ecohrec setting), Check it out (MOD setting), and Sinking (MOD setting).

Let me know what you think of the songs

wow that was really good.... you guys got skill.
Quote by GuitarNewbee
wow that was really good.... you guys got skill.

Thanks! We appricate it!

BTW... I just remembered that I done the cleans on Check it out with a 5150iii + that new slash sig 5watt Marshall.

The dirty tones on Sinking and Rest of the Night were done with my JCA50H+5150iii (JCA doing highs, and 5150iii covering lowend).
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
what muff are you using, ts? the NYC muff is pretty shitty for those awesome gilmour leads. you want a triangle or a ram's head clone.

and really, when it comes down to it, you only really need three effects for gilmour if you're on a budget. a muff, a delay, and a chorus/flange.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Sep 1, 2013,
The amp should be fine. Maybe get a BC109 Sun Face if you don't like your Muff.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
If you really want 70s studio tones use a delay pedal that mimics the sound of tape delay. That will put you closer to the sound of old analog tape mixes.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
what muff are you using, ts? the NYC muff is pretty shitty for those awesome gilmour leads. you want a triangle or a ram's head clone.

and really, when it comes down to it, you only really need three effects for gilmour if you're on a budget. a muff, a delay, and a chorus/flange.

Although DSOTM was a FF.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
you can totally cop the time solo with a muff.

Modded muff, boosted mids, yeah. Stock...Uhm.....I dunno
But good luck on the rest though
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 1, 2013,
it's cool, that's the only solo worth playing.

and i'm assuming a ram's head clone with either a mids knob or an eq after it.[/QUOTE
dont forget about the comfortably numb ending solo.