Somebody brought this to my attention at work today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City

Basically, it was a mini city inside Hong Kong that was largely without government control. It was the inspiration for the shantytown in Batman Begins. Super shady shit, drugs and prostitution, unregulated medical operations... Yet most residents got by fine and even maintained and built the city out of self sustenance. I find this super fascinating:

“What fascinates about the Walled City is that, for all its horrible shortcomings, its builders and residents succeeded in creating what modern architects, with all their resources of money and expertise, have failed to: the city as ‘organic megastructure’, not set rigidly for a lifetime but continually responsive to the changing requirements of its user, fulfilling every need from water supply to religion, yet providing also the warmth and intimacy of a single huge household.” – Leung Ping Kwan, City of Darkness

Captioned Photos

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 31, 2013,
I read about this before, it's amazing but I don't know if I'd dare explore it.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
That could work if you had detachable kidneys
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
I've read about this before. Also very fascinating is the Paris commune, although not as recent.
Pretty cool. Looks like one of those buildings off Dredd.

I bet it was shit to live in though. The inhabitants might remember it fondly, but that'll be fond memories which happened there. Day-to-day, it would be right naff.
Manchester United
Obligatory "Can you imagine finding your house in there while drunk?" post:

Can you imagine finding your house in there while drunk?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Yeah, I've heard about this before.

Do they all work in the city or in other cities or what? Is it an entire city with hospitals and stuff?
This is the first I've heard of this. It's awesome. Shame it's not still around/there aren't more places like this.
🙈 🙉 🙊
What's fascinating is why people always have to emphasize that they've "read about it before". It's in every thread. Then either the sentence "it's amazing" or "it's shit" follows. It's totally irrelevant to the context, but people still emphasize it. What's the point?
Quote by MetalMullet
What's fascinating is why people always have to emphasize that they've "read about it before". It's in every thread. Then either the sentence "it's amazing" or "it's shit" follows. It's totally irrelevant to the context, but people still emphasize it. What's the point?

Almost as irrelevant as this post was

Wasn't there a map in one of the call of dutys based off of this?
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
this is like my high school wet dream.

back when i listened to a lot of Choking Victim and Leftover Crack and thought squatting was cool as hell.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Obviously never had a chance to go there as I wasn't even born. The modern day treasure is Chungking Mansions, Xiaoxi. You should have made a thread about that.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Trowzaa
Yeah, I've heard about this before.

Do they all work in the city or in other cities or what? Is it an entire city with hospitals and stuff?

They don't. It was torn down twenty years ago.
That was the best map in Black Ops

Also a cool band
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I thought this was a Pokemon city.

That's real cool.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
i would visit it for sure. i'd probably even enjoy the place, too, but i'd be tripping out the whole time.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by blake1221
(◡‿◡✿

(✿◡‿◡
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I heard of it because of the band.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by WCPhils
That was the best map in Black Ops

Also a cool band

Oh so that's where that map is haha.

Pretty badass. As interesting as it is sociologically, I would not ever want to live there.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Trowzaa

Yea it's pretty much self sustaining. There are mini factories and all that. Even a nursery and drug rehab center. I wouldn't say there's a hospital but there were "doctors".

I can't believe there's a band called this lol. They sound cool.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Try Sleeping Dogs.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius
Obviously never had a chance to go there as I wasn't even born. The modern day treasure is Chungking Mansions, Xiaoxi. You should have made a thread about that.

I probably cruised right by it and not even knew it when I was in Hong Kong / Kowloon last November. I'm a noob.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'd love to see a film set here. Maybe from Del Toro or Danny Boyle
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I'd love to see a film set here. Maybe from Del Toro or Danny Boyle

Omg del toro plz
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
Omg del toro plz

Lol I'm not a huge fan but it'd look awesome which would probably be half the point if a movie were made
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16