So in light of the other thread on this page.

I'm confused.

What's the best option for mixing, closed back or open?

Given they are in the same quality/price range.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by kyle62
Open back for mixing, closed back for tracking.

There's an element of personal preference, for sure, but that's how most people see it.

Well that clears things up.

I can understand closed for monitor.
(a while ago my condenser mic picked up the metronome coming from my head phones )

But didn't know that they can be a negative for mixing thnx.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
You DEFINITELY want closed back for tracking. Without them, the instrument you're tracking will be much louder than what you're hearing through the phones. Whatever's coming through the headphones will also be picked up by mics with ease. It's almost impossible to track with open-back headphones.

But when it comes to mixing it's all personal preference. Open-back headphones will typically have a wider soundstage and feel more like speakers. But the isolation of a closed-back design may be more beneficial. There is no right or wrong. 90% of people will say you're crazy for mixing on headphones anyway, but plenty of people do it anyway and have great sounding mixes (and you should ALWAYS check your mixes on headphones because people do listen to music through headphones). The real best option for mixing is to listen to your mix on EVERYTHING. If it sounds good on everything, then it's a good mix.