Hi!

I'm considering buying a Variax JTV-89 and I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with.

First of all, I am more or less only interested in hi-gain stuff, and I will hook the guitar up with a Pod HD Pro. I will only use the guitar in studio.
Sound kind of like Machine Head and similar.

So, what do you think about the idea of using this combination for hi-gain stuff? I think that the Pod HD is good enough but I really need a new guitar anyway and that's when I started thinking about the variax. I've read both good and bad things about using the variax for hi-gain but it's mostly rumors and not actual opinions.

How many models can actually give a good result for hi-gain?

Is it worth spending almost twice as much getting the 89F? What is the difference other than floyd-rose?

Thank you for your help!!!

Best Regards,

/ Mattias
Quote by Ivarsson78
Hi!

I'm considering buying a Variax JTV-89 and I have a couple of questions I hope you guys can help me with.

First of all, I am more or less only interested in hi-gain stuff, and I will hook the guitar up with a Pod HD Pro. I will only use the guitar in studio.
Sound kind of like Machine Head and similar.

So, what do you think about the idea of using this combination for hi-gain stuff? I think that the Pod HD is good enough but I really need a new guitar anyway and that's when I started thinking about the variax. I've read both good and bad things about using the variax for hi-gain but it's mostly rumors and not actual opinions.

How many models can actually give a good result for hi-gain?

I've got an 89F on order (should be in my hands within the next 10 days). I really wanted the Floyd; your needs may vary. The 89 has a reversed headstock; they gone to a more normal headstock with the 89F. I *think* that's about the only difference. If you've got a chance to get an 89 at the really low inventory close-out prices they were offering for a while, do so. You'll be able to do the HD upgrade (if it hasn't been upgraded already ) and all of that.

I'll be running it through a Pod HD as well (though not the Pro version).

And yes, it's worth it for high-gain stuff; I think that's really what they intended that guitar for in the first place. The pickups are hotter, it's got a 25.5" scale, and it's the only guitar in the JTV range with an extended set of downtune alternate tunings. Line 6 has also responded to customer wishes by modeling the 89's own magnetic pickups so that you can have the same sounds in all of the alternate tunings.

In regard to the question "which models respond best to hi-gain hijinks?" I'd suggest trying these out on your own. But more than you think. Remember that the JTV doesn't suffer from single coil noise or hum, so P90's and strat single coils are far more usable...