I don't know anything about mics but I'd like to be able to just hop on eBay but the mics confuse me. Why isn't there a mic sticky? Does anyone have a link where I can learn about mics?
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

This should do.

There isn't a microphones sticky because microphones aren't a thing guitarists usually use to record themselves.

The vast majority of people here prefer the convenience of audio interfaces and amp simulators.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I wrote a blog entry on some microphone basics here:
http://greenroommusicblog.blogspot.ca/2013/05/a-primer-on-microphones.html

The best resource on the entire www for microphones is right here:

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment-forums/microphones/how-does-diaphragm-size-polar-pattern-relate-mic-applications-27030/

Of course, if you don't want to wade through a 964-post thread that takes place over a period of 8 years, there is a document that condensed it all that you can download here:

http://www.hr-faq.org/HarveyThread.doc

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
There's not a sticky cuz it'd pretty much be like two mics for the most part.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Who cares if there is a sticky since the average user is too stupid to read the sticky and will post a thread asking about mics anyways.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Who cares if there is a sticky since the average user is too stupid to read the sticky and will post a thread asking about mics anyways.

On the other hand, having a sticky makes responding to those threads easier. With some macro automation, you can literally answer their question with one key.
A couple of paragraphs about them in the interfaces sticky could be useful though - if not to give recommendations, just explaining the different types (dynamic, LDC, SDC etc) & what they're best at would be helpful.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
A couple of paragraphs about them in the interfaces sticky could be useful though - if not to give recommendations, just explaining the different types (dynamic, LDC, SDC etc) & what they're best at would be helpful.

That's really all I'm asking for.
Gear:
Fender Telecaster w/ Dual Gibson Humbuckers
Ovation Celebrity Acoustic/Electric
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
I think one major problem is that aside from yourself, very few people bother checking the stickies before posting because they think that there's no way it could be that much of a hard and fast recommendation. They think the difference between interfaces is like the difference between guitar amps so they need the best interface for metal/rock/whatever when in reality which interface you get will not have much if any baring on your ability to produce specific genres as compared to other similar quality interfaces.
Quote by Spambot_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

There isn't a microphones sticky because microphones aren't a thing guitarists usually use to record themselves.

The vast majority of people here prefer the convenience of audio interfaces and amp simulators.

Even if the "majority" of UGers record direct, that doesn't mean that we all should. If you have a decent sounding amp then sticking a mic on it will almost always sound better. It'll be more "real" (and it's pretty hard to screw up a 57 placed on the grill). For someone serious about recording, a mic on the grill of a tube amp instantly yields useable results. Amp sims definitely have their uses, but if you have the resources a mic is usually preferable. *I guarantee 99.85% of your favorite guitar tones were recorded with live mics

So to answer the thread starter (in a quick and simple manner), guitar amps are usually recorded with Dynamic Microphones. Delicate instruments like vocals and acoustic guitar are usually recorded using Condenser Mics, which are more sensitive and have a more detailed high-end response. The go-to guitar mic in both professional and home studios is the Shure SM-57. Guitarists luck out because this particular mic happens to cost only 100USD!

So do some Googling and figure out what you need. Maybe you can even write that mic sticky one day
Last edited by curlyhead_P at Sep 2, 2013,
Quote by Billwallace89
That's really all I'm asking for.

Which exactly what my blog that I linked to does....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Hi, I'm really interested in a mic for mic'ing up my amp (Vox VT80+) that has little bleed (ie, not picking up other things like the bass and bass drum), and does not suffer from much feedback. SM57 is always the one that comes out when you ask this question, but does anyone recommend anything else for a little more cash ???

Many thanks

Hoos
Quote by john.hoos.3
SM57 is always the one that comes out when you ask this question, but does anyone recommend anything else for a little more cash ???
SM57 and use the rest of the money in a better amp.
Or use amp sims.

In either case you're likely to get a bit better to much better result than mic'ing up that amp.

If you're set for it anyway, there's a fairly vast selection of mic's that people use on guitar cabs a lot.

First off you got the ribbon mic's, the most famous one for the application being the royer r121, though the SE voodoo's work just as fine.
Then you have higher end dynamic mic's, such as the Sennheiser MD441 and 421, with somebody also using SM7's for some darker stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by john.hoos.3
Hi, I'm really interested in a mic for mic'ing up my amp (Vox VT80+) that has little bleed (ie, not picking up other things like the bass and bass drum), and does not suffer from much feedback. SM57 is always the one that comes out when you ask this question, but does anyone recommend anything else for a little more cash ???

Many thanks

Hoos

The SM57 is the standard for micing amps for a reason... but there are some others that are commonly used, too:

Sennheiser MD421
Audix i5
Heil PR30 / PR40
Beyerdynamic M201TG
Royer R121
Shure SM7b
Audio Technica ATM-250 / ATM-25
EV RE20
Beyerdynamic M160

Many of those mics are usually used in conjunction with the SM57, though, and they're also significantly more expensive.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Having mic'd a VT40+ for a while I can say don't waste your money. Only since we modded it to take an external cab and hooked it up to a nice(ish) marshall 4x12" does it even compete with what I could get out of LePou HyBrit, LeXtac, or LeCto. And by compete I mean it can sound as good as the sims with some work, I've only heard it sound better once and tbh it was a bit of a rush job.
Quote by john.hoos.3

Many thanks

Hoos

The 57 is probably one of your better options. Better price doesn't always mean better sound, since it is so depend on many factors.

Bleed can be cut back by mic placement as well as the placement of the instruments. Obviously if you're playing a show, moving the drums may not be an option, but if you're practicing or recording, try moving where you have the amps/players.

Feedback can be alleviated by adjusting the mic input gain and volumes to healthy levels. Really, if you're having feedback problems, chances are it's not the mic's problem.