Hey. I'm looking for a pedal to produce a heavy, chunky rhythm tone through my AC30.
Something beefy but not too fuzzy or fizzy. I injtend to use it on the normal (lo-gain) channel.
I've heard good things about a proco Ratt. Any suggestions? Also, It must have a large amount of output volume. Thanks!
Look on ebay for a Matchless Hotbox or a Mesa V-Twin. Plenty of tone and volume options.
ProcCo The Rat, is what I use, boosted with a TS9 and I can get pretty heavy tones.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by al112987
Proco rat may be too fuzzy for you

yeah maybe

the turbo rat might be worth a try, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you hit the nail square on the head with the Proco Rat. Those things can be dialed in to get rid of the fuzz. I used one on my BJr for a while before I went back to using boosts and overdrives exclusively and I could get some nice chunky rhythm distortion from it.
I was looking for the same as you and for a while a rat suffices, however i recently got a fulltone plimsoul and it blows it out the water, it's definitely worth the pricetag as it creates a really fat almost marshally tone whilst remaining dynamic and letting the tone of the guitar and ac30 still shine through
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah maybe

the turbo rat might be worth a try, though.

I second this try it with your amp first, it tends to get fuzzy on some amps. I use a turbo rat and people at the rehearsal space what I used to sound that damn heavy/brutal. It's a pretty solid option
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
"Hey. I'm looking for a pedal to produce a heavy, chunky rhythm tone through my AC30."

Good old fashioned Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. Affordable and versatile enough to cover most distortion needs.
Quote by soulgrenade
"Hey. I'm looking for a pedal to produce a heavy, chunky rhythm tone through my AC30."

Good old fashioned Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. Affordable and versatile enough to cover most distortion needs.

Uhm, for an AC30, NO. NO, NO
I had one and even modified, it never really sounded that good to me. YMMV.

ZVEX Box Of Rock, while a "Marshall In a Box" pedal (JTM45 to be somewhat precise) works quite well for me.

I have heard good things about the Crowther Hotcake although I have never tried one myself. Its supposed to the THE OD for an AC30.

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 set to Vintage is also pretty damn good.
That one I do own and its my most used OD.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 2, 2013,
Quote by CodeMonk

ZVEX Box Of Rock, while a "Marshall In a Box" pedal (JTM45 to be somewhat precise) works quite well for me.

I have heard good things about the Crowther Hotcake although I have never tried one myself. Its supposed to the THE OD for an AC30.

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 set to Vintage is also pretty damn good.
That one I do own and its my most used OD.

Tom Delonge uses a Fulldrive 2 now and his guitar tone actually sounds good. I've personally never heard the thing about the Hotcake being the OD for an AC30. I guess you've just helped fuel my GAS
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by CodeMonk

my digitech hot head (glorified ds1, far as i'm aware) actually sounds not too bad with my genz benz (how close the genz benz is to an ac30, though, i dunno... i suspect "fairly close", but ), though i'd agree it wouldn't be my first choice, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A buddy of mine who has an AC30 uses a Wampler Plexidrive (or something like that?) for his crunch and it sounds really good. Nice and thick tones, not too over-the-top. I think those are pretty pricey though...