Hey y'all. I just got a 'cannot refuse' deal on a 50w JCM900 MkIII 2500 head. However, I don't have a cab, so my new amp is currently a nice floor decoration
I don't often see (any good) cabs on the used market here, so I'm afraid I'll have to go new.

So cabs are a bit of a new ball game for me. What makes a good cab? I've been doing some reading and, in terms of materials, MDF seems unnecessary; plywood looks like a good way to go. Some say the more acoustically dead, the better; others recon some resonance in the cab produces more complex harmonies. Open vs closed back? Thoughts?

Durability and portability is a big one for me since I am gigging and do quite a bit of gear hauling. An easily transportable 2x12 cab would be ideal for my situation.

Now about speakers. My research tells me that the JCM900 cabs were loaded with them Celestion G12T-75s . Is it worth trying to stick with these? v30s seem to be a favorite among companies like Mesa and Orange (I know theirs are different from each other). Major difference?

Thanks
G12t75 are just the standard OEM speaker for most marshall cabs. They are not one of my favorites, but you can get much worse.

What type of music are you playing? That will help determine what speakers will work better than others
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would recommend http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

You can get a well built cab with many speaker choices to use from.

I use an Avatar contemporary 1x12 with a Hellatone 60 Speaker (Just a broken in Vintage-30) loaded in. I love it, especially with a Les Paul.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
He is in South Africa, Avatar is not worth the price when you add in shipping and VAT.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
G12t75 are just the standard OEM speaker for most marshall cabs. They are not one of my favorites, but you can get much worse.

What type of music are you playing? That will help determine what speakers will work better than others

Thanks for the reply. I play a lot of pop-punk like All Time Low thereabouts - sorry forgot to add that.

--

Yeah, I've looked at Avatar cabs before and they look great, but not viable since I'm out of the States.
V30's, G12H30 and G12M25 speakers will all work just fine for those types of music. You can use other speakers, but those are my choices for your amp and style of music.

If you can order from www.thomann.de you can get the Harley Benton G212 Vintage for really cheap new and it has V30 speakers stock and it is made of Plywood and runs €189 (what ever that is in your currency)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
Thanks muchly! Those Harleys look like a good steal

Yeah, if you can order from them, which I'm pretty sure you can
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, if you can order from them, which I'm pretty sure you can

Yeah, I can,
What position do you stand on between open and close backs?
Also, on that topic, I didn't see a specification for that on the Harleys. Can one choose?
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
Yeah, I can,
What position do you stand on between open and close backs?
Also, on that topic, I didn't see a specification for that on the Harleys. Can one choose?

It really depends on the speakers/cab that I am using.

I would say get a closed back cab, you can always take the back off and make it an openback. It is harder to make a open-back into a closed-back cab

Pretty sure the HB is a closed-back only cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ yeah the HB is closed-back, but it's front-loaded so you can't take the back off easily.

Hard to beat for the money, though. And for heavier stuff you normally want closed-back.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by D_M_I
http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Products/Speakers/tabid/298/Default.aspx

You won't want to buy here due to location obviously, but he has pdf specs sheets, as well as pretty good descriptions of various speakers.

Also, props for your band. Sounds great!

Thanks a bunch, man

Also, thanks all. I have a pretty good idea on what I'm going for now. I can't flipping wait to crank this thing!