Hi all!

Never replaced the speaker in an amp before so I need some help. I have an old Line 6 Flextone 2 with a single 60-watt speaker in it which has blown. A guy locally is selling a 75-watt Line 6 celestion out of a Spyder 3. Can I replace my blown 60-watt with the one he's selling? Will it do any damage? Will it sound better due to it being a celestion? Thanks in advance for the help.
Line 6 has used Celestion speakers since the original Flextone came out. Make sure the speaker is the same ohms ratting as the one it is replacing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks Robb. Yes.... They are both 8 ohms. Both Line 6 stock speakers. Should be ok then?
yeah, it will be fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
But the one in my Flextone DOES NOT say celestion on it. The 75-watt one does.
Quote by Retoronto

Yeah, but I am pretty sure that Celestion was the maker of them. They are just a flat response speaker because of the modeling of the L6 amps.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just looked it up. Apparently my amp used an Eminence speaker.

"Eminence speakers (rather than more traditional "guitar voiced" speakers like Celestions) because they have a relatively flat frequency response. This means the digital modeling alone has the most effect on tone, with no distortion from the speakers or the power amp section, which also means you get the same tone at practice volumes as you do at stage levels."

I'm a total newbie when it comes to guitar speakers though everybody seems to tell me celestions are the way to go.
who exactly is telling you that? celestions are the way to go if you want something that sounds exactly like a celestion (and even that's debatable, to a certain extent), but if you want a different type of tone, then not so much.

celestions are the most famous guitar speaker (i.e. the one most guitar players have heard of) and that quickly translates to "that means they're the ones you want". Of course, that doesn't mean they're bad speakers (they're not, the good ones are excellent), but you need to be careful who you're taking advice from. they might not know any more than you do, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
who exactly is telling you that? celestions are the way to go if you want something that sounds exactly like a celestion (and even that's debatable, to a certain extent), but if you want a different type of tone, then not so much.

celestions are the most famous guitar speaker (i.e. the one most guitar players have heard of) and that quickly translates to "that means they're the ones you want". Of course, that doesn't mean they're bad speakers (they're not, the good ones are excellent), but you need to be careful who you're taking advice from. they might not know any more than you do, lol.

+1

Celestion makes some really nice speakers, but they also make some really bad ones.

I use Eminence speakers in almost every cab and amp I own. Great speakers and the price in the USA is really good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by deadsmileyface
what you need is a new amp!

sorry

Actually the Flextone amps are really nice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by deadsmileyface
what you need is a new amp!

sorry

EXACTLY the kind of comment that makes me avoid most forums.

I'm a vocalist who has only recently started playing rhythm once again after putting it down for a very long time. I will actually only be playing on 30-40% of our songs. I have no desire to spend a ton of money on an amp. Our Lead guitar player plays through a Flextone 2 XL and people absolutely go nuts over his tone. I picked up the Flextone 2 with floorboard for a pretty sweet deal (well under $100) and only have to replace the speaker. Add in the price of the celestion which I'm getting for the same price I paid for the amp and guess what? I'm still only at $80 for all of it!

One thing I've noticed about this and a lot of other forums is that there's always at least one guy who would rather tell you what he thinks rather than help you with your problem. I'm very aware that I could buy another amp. I wasn't asking for that reminder. I was asking for help with my EXISTING GEAR.

So thank you to the people who took the time to answer my questions! It really helped out and is much appreciated.
Last edited by Retoronto at Sep 1, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1

Celestion makes some really nice speakers, but they also make some really bad ones.

I use Eminence speakers in almost every cab and amp I own. Great speakers and the price in the USA is really good.

Eminence prices in europe are pretty good too. Especially for the legends, which are really nice. Only real problem with the legends is the lack of models and impedance choices...

probably worth also saying that they (the ones i've tried, anyway) don't sound identical to celestions, so if you want something that sounds exactly like a celestion...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Idon't have any speakers that are not celestions. Not that i wouldn't go with something else. I am at eight loaded tabs atm.

the comment regarding the new amp is more or less a joke.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Just because the speaker says Celestion on it doesn't mean anything. It's basically just a Celestion manufactured speaker for Line 6 and I highly doubt you'll notice much, if any tonal difference from the Eminence.

Celestions are great if you are looking at their classic speakers, like their greenbacks or V30s, etc. but those are not the speakers that are put into Line 6 Spiders. Those are the kinds of speakers that are being put into $1000+ Marshalls.

Do not pay any money for that speaker. Even if it's only $40, the person selling it is making off like a thief. If you want to spend less on a new speaker, then spend $30 more and get a WGS vintage 30 clone or G1275T clone (which also has a pretty flat response).
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 3, 2013,
If you've got a modeling amp and want to not color the sound with the speaker to keep the modeling accurate, see if you can find an old JBL ceramic somewhere. You'll get a volume boost (they're incredibly efficient) and you'll also get a bunch more clarity, especially in the bottom end. Your jaw will drop once you play through one.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Quote by Retoronto

that doesn't really mean anything. it should have a manufacturer/date code on it, 6 or 7 digits.

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

use that to find out what the speaker is

Quote by Retoronto
Just looked it up. Apparently my amp used an Eminence speaker.

"Eminence speakers (rather than more traditional "guitar voiced" speakers like Celestions) because they have a relatively flat frequency response. This means the digital modeling alone has the most effect on tone, with no distortion from the speakers or the power amp section, which also means you get the same tone at practice volumes as you do at stage levels."

I'm a total newbie when it comes to guitar speakers though everybody seems to tell me celestions are the way to go.

i am not trying to get on your case or anything, i am just gonna try to save you some time and give another POV.

that statement is bullocks, it is partially right about 'flat response': you don't want a colorful speaker in a modeling amp for various reasons.

don't buy the BS about 'celestion is more guitar voiced than eminence'. i heard a bunch of that when i first got into speakers, it is BS. i own and have played all kinds of speakers, and there are speakers i consider 'better' than celestion for quite a bit less (and they're made in america instead of china to boot).

Quote by Dave_Mc
celestions are the way to go if you want something that sounds exactly like a celestion (and even that's debatable, to a certain extent), but if you want a different type of tone, then not so much.

agreed. my personal preference for 'celestion' speakers are Webers, i can't say enough about my blue dog/silver bell combo. i also know a few guitarists that would prefer a scumback over any celestion greenback, and WGS has their own fanboys, etc, etc...

lots of manufacturers make celestion-style speakers that plenty of guitarists would prefer over celestion.

good point dave.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^

(that's not to say that a lot of guitarists don't prefer celestions, too- they do. Just make sure the people you're listening to who are saying, "Celestion is the best!" have actually tried at least some of their competitors' speakers.)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

(that's not to say that a lot of guitarists don't prefer celestions, too- they do. Just make sure the people you're listening to who are saying, "Celestion is the best!" have actually tried at least some of their competitors' speakers.)

my buddy has 'played them all' so to speak and still prefers celestions for the most part (he faps to greenbacks). but he was impressed enough by my weber loaded cab where he ended loading a cab with that combo of speakers as well.

-ae
i haven't played them all (price is prohibitive in getting webers and scumbacks here), but I've played most of the major manufacturers, at least some of their models. It's also worth pointing out that a fair bit of it is preference, too.

I don't really have any preference, it just depends on what I want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have yet to play a scumback too. those things are pricey over here, i shudder to think what they are like there.

i have done a number of 'speaker shootouts' when we'd get an abundance of speakers.

i am glad i invested in a good electric drill

-ae
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't played them all (price is prohibitive in getting webers and scumbacks here), but I've played most of the major manufacturers, at least some of their models. It's also worth pointing out that a fair bit of it is preference, too.

I gotta agree here too. It's very subjective once you get into quality speakers. I bought a 2X12 Tone Tubby cab w/ one ceramic & one alnico, that was supposed to be THE ABSOLUTE SHIT, & while it's very good, my favorite cab is my 2X12 Mojave Amp Works cab loaded with a pair of Celestion G12H30s. My mini SLO 1X12 combo has an Eminence Legend in it, & it rips ass. A bit bright at first, but warming up considerably as I break it in further. The cool thing is I also have a Soldano 1X12 cab with a Celestion V30 in it th I run with the Legend. Great combo, esp when they mic the V30 & I point the Legend more toward me on stage, because it cuts through so well.
What I'm getting at is that even the Flextone amp models will sound somewhat better or worse depending on speaker choice. "Flat response" or whatever, there will still be a certain speaker tone that grabs you, & you'll find yourself preferring it with your amp.
Whatever you do, just be sure to invest in quality speakers.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^ agreed- once you get over a certain quality level, it's all preference. But, by and large, cheaper/OEM-type speakers are pretty much garbage.

^^ I don't think there are even any scumback dealers here- so basically it'd be the price you pay, plus postage (which'd be a fair bit, judging by what weber quoted me before- I'm guessing at least $50 for one speaker) + VAT (20%, and it's also charged on the postage cost) + customs (~4% or so).

so yeah a fair bit. The postage/VAT/customs charges are enough to bring reasonably-priced webers into "not worth it" territory (for me, anyway), so I shudder to think how expensive they'd make scumbacks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Living in the USA, I feel Scumbacks, ASW are over priced. I can say that I really don't think they are worth the money when you look at what you can get with WGS and Eminence here

I guess there are people with money to burn, just not me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i think taydens are a nice option in the UK- they're a similar price to the chinese-made celestions yet are made in the UK and (to my ears anyway) sound closer to the heritage celestions. But they don't have a massive range.

but yeah you can definitely end up paying a lot for very slight improvements if you're not careful. I mean I think the heritage g12h30 sounds a lot nicer than the normal g12h30, but I'm not sure I'd pay retail prices for one! Plus I mean you don't have to with the aforementioned tayden. Also the normal g12h30 was about the only one of the standard celestions I didn't like so much, most of the other chinese celestions (greenback, v30 etc. ) are fine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gumbilicious
i have yet to play a scumback too. those things are pricey over here, i shudder to think what they are like there.

i have done a number of 'speaker shootouts' when we'd get an abundance of speakers.

i am glad i invested in a good electric drill

No! Don't use an electric screwdriver on a speaker. You'll almost certainly over torque the screw and wind up warping the frame, which will make it sound different. I ruined a pair of V30s back in the day with an electric screwdriver. Not a huge loss, admittedly. And TBH, I like my Creambacks better than any of the Scums I've tried. They have a bit more low mid punch that the Scums and Greenbacks don't have. They're almost the same price as the Scums, though they're MIE, so it's not like you're getting the cheap Chinese Celestions for that price. Granted, the Chinese Celestions are exactly the same as the MIE ones from the last few years of production there.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ have you compared the creamback to the higher wattage scumbacks?

(that's a serious question- my higher-wattage tayden is smoother than a greenback too and I just wonder if it's a consequence of being higher wattage. Then again, from what I hear, tayden isn't trying to make clones, so )
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?