Page 1 of 2
Well, since this is the GG&A forum, I suppose I'll start off with an amp first, and since so many of you were interested in these the last time I posted one.......

I give you, the Gearu 1960:

For those of you who aren't familiar - These are amps custom built by my amp tech. Usually, he builds them inside a pre-existing amp, hence the Bugera 1960 shell. I'm not actually sure on the specifics of this one, I'm PRETTY sure, this is actually the 1960 with a crap ton of mods in it. Alls I know is it doesn't sound like any other Bugera 1960 I've ever heard. This thing is a ****ing BEAST!

He added a bunch of different voicing options to the front (via all the mini switches) a resonance knob on the back and all kinds of other crap that I honestly have no idea what any of it does, but turning them makes it sound awesome

I didn't actually realize this thing was so high gain when I originally started using it, because one of my friends had plugged me into the "Low Gain" input, which apparently makes a huge difference in the gain and sound of the amp. I loved the low gain setting so much though, that I made you all a pretty rock song, with the gain cranked up:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4018922/Mixes/RockSong-Gearu1960.mp3

If the mix sucks, I apologize. I've been switching around my recording stuff so much over the past few months that I haven't really had much time to actually do any mixing on the new system to learn it

I actually didn't buy this one... I've had it on loan for a few months just to check it out. VERY impressed. This thing can get SUPER brutal on the high gain input, too. Nice and thick hotrodded Marshall. Huge range of tones, though it doesn't really get a "clean" sound - I mean, the original design is meant to be a 1 channel JCM 800 clone...

Overall, REALLY dig this one. Maybe even moreso than his Eve amp I had a while back... If anyone's interested his price on the amp is super reasonable (you won't find anything that even touches this for at least a few hundred more)!

Also, here's a video demo he did of it, there's more specifics about it in the description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp6K4axXEeA
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
fake.

seriously dude this is epic.

Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 31, 2013,
Next up, I got me a new bass:

(Invalid img)

This one's the Ibanez BTB 1305 Prestige.

What a gorgeous bass - Been wanting a 5 string for a while, and a guy just so happened to offer to trade me this baby (plus something else) for the Gibson BFG I had up for sale, so I jumped on it. I've always LOVED the necks on the BTBs - Makes switching to a 5 string super easy, as it's so thin that the extra width is negligible. Amazing player, with a huge lowend.

Clipz:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4018922/BTB.mp3
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gregs1020
oh my gosh it's up against a tree!

nice wood derek!

Yeah... their wood is touching.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
And it's just so terribly phallic anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what about the surveyor? :P
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
That guy has some nice chops.

Amp sounds nice too!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by oneblackened
what about the surveyor? :P

What? This?

Let me be straight here - I definitely don't like how this one plays in comparison to the BTB... but considering I only paid $303 for it as a supposedly "used" item from Musician's Friend, I can't really complain... Especially considering this is the best sounding bass I've yet to play.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like this thing plays horribly... It just doesn't play like the Ibanez does. The neck is less wide, so the string spacing is closer, and the neck is fatter. It's closer to my 4 string's neck in size, so transitioning to it really isn't an issue, either, but I've been spoiled with the BTB's neck and wide string spacing, which makes playing quickly and clearly easier.

That said... this LTD SOUNDS a lot clearer. The BTB builds up bass quick and overpowers the rest of the strings, especially if you're using the 5th string. The LTD has a lot of clarity, even more than my 4 string P-Bass, and I LOVE the bridge pickup. Really, that's the only reason I got this bass in the first place - I tried a Music Man Sting Ray at Guitar Center and thought it was the most unique sounding bass I'd ever heard. Not a sound I'd want to have if it was my only bass, but something that'd be awesome as a niche instrument.

TBH, this doesn't really sound at all like a Sting Ray, or at least how I remember that one sounding But... I don't really care, it sounds great. I don't really care for the neck pickup, I usually just have it on the bridge MM pickup, though in any position, it has a clearer sound than my Ibanez. Overall, super satisfied with this one... if only it had the neck of the Ibanez, it'd be a 10/10 for me. Either way, likely going to sell the Ibanez now, cause there's really no point in using the BTB with the sound this one produces... I can deal with the neck

Quote by N_J_B_B
That guy has some nice chops.

Amp sounds nice too!

Yep, Lawrence is an awesome guitar player. He studied at Musician's Institute back in the day, and actually learned under Paul Gilbert when he taught there at one point
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Bought me some new studio monitors, too (the ones with the white cones):

Picked these up on blow-out from Amazon, cause they've been discontinued and replaced with a new series, for $400. SUPER glad I did. Put the Yamaha HS80Ms head-to head with my $5000 pair of Adam S2As and, while the Adams certainly had more clarity in the upper range, the Yamahas totally dominated them in the low end and low mids. I liked them so much... I sold the Adams, and I don't miss them, at all.

Seriously impressed with these, they accentuate in the right places and are true to the source in others. Before, when I was mixing on the Adams, I'd go through 10-15 revisions of a mix because the low end was non-existent, with these, I was closer on my first try than I've ever been on a final mix with the Adams. LOVE them!

I built the stands the Adams are on, as well and got the fancy new leather chair for my birthday, too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
That Ibanez is too sexy for me.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ippon
You need to move on to smartphones.

I haz smartphonez!

Oh yeah... I got this, too:

Orange Thunderverb 50! What an awesome amp! Doesn't really have a clean sound, which is kinda saddening, since the Rockerverbs have a pretty badass clean channel... but this one certainly makes up for it in the gain department.

I wasn't expecting this one to get as heavy as it does. Channel A can get a nice, tight high gain sound, whereas you flip it over to Channel B and it can do the fuzzy stoner rock sound. Pretty sweet. I definitely use Channel A more, though, it's clearer and suits my sound better. Haven't gotten a chance to try this with a bass yet, though. I imagine it's gonna be pretty awesome!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
wat.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Beautiful collection there sir!!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Orange is just too expensive for me...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Orange is just too expensive for me...

Traded an 8-channel recording preamp that I paid $800 for, so I'm happy

Also picked up a Seventh Circle Audio rack:

It's loaded with 6 of their A12b preamps (API 312a clones). I've only used it a little bit, cause I actually don't have room on my rack for it and have to now build a side-cart.... but man, these things kick ass. SUPER excited to start working with them. Plan on throwing 2 N72s in the last two slots (Neve 1073), for a little more versatility. Should make my mixes kick ass now... Not to mention, I finally have enough preamps to record drums again!

Yes - One of the knobs is missing, the guy misplaced it and is having SCA send me a new one. Doesn't really matter, though, I'm gonna buy knobs from Classic API for all of them, so it looks more authentic.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com

HNSD. So many things, such nice things.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Finally got a DAW controller:

I honestly have no idea what took me so long. I can already tell, this Mackie Control Universal is going to save me a TON of time mixing, since I won't have to use the stupid mouse and keyboard nearly as much anymore. SUPER impressed with it already - Plugged it into the MIDI ports on my RME PCI card, went into Reaper and selected the inputs, changed them to Mackie Control protocol and BAM! everything instantly mapped. Freaking awesome

I had a Digidesign 003 a while back with similar features and I could never figure out how to get that thing to work, even in Pro Tools. Really impressed by the construction as well, feels wayyyyy more sturdy than the 003 did, and it's also not as bulky. The digital readouts on the top ****ing rule, too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Nice haul dude. Lots of cool stuff.

I really want to try the Thunderverb 50 now, the TH30 is one of my favorite amps, I imagine that the Thunderverb is even more badass.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Also - Since I sold my Adam monitors and replaced them with the Yamahas as my "main" speakers, I decided to pick up a pair of KRK Rokit 8s that a local guy was desperate to sell, since they were so cheap:

Yes... the dust cap is punched in on them. Doesn't affect the sound! I tried the vacuum trick, but the caps are made of a pretty hard material it seems, and the vacuum did nothing. Might try using a pin to pull them out, but frankly, that scares the crap out of me...

Sound-wise, I've never liked the Rokit series. It's not that they don't sound good, it's that they sound TOO good. I would never use these for critical mixing, but they are great as a reference set, as I can pull over the mix on the Yamahas to them and be able to fairly accurately gauge how it's going to sound on a consumer system. Saves me lots of time, since I don't have to render the mix, download it on my phone and then run downstairs, turn my car's stereo on and plug in the phone to listen to it (though, with the Yamahas, I really don't need to do this anymore, like I was with the Adams - but it's nice to have). They're also nice for just listening to music on for longer periods of time, as they have a more scooped mid range, bigger low end and a less extended high end (which makes them less fatiguing on the ears). I may or may not end up keeping them... I do actually like they quite a bit for their application, but I bought them so cheap that I could make a pretty penny off them, and it's not like I need them... we'll see!

Quote by dementiacaptain
Nice haul dude. Lots of cool stuff.

I really want to try the Thunderverb 50 now, the TH30 is one of my favorite amps, I imagine that the Thunderverb is even more badass.

From what I've heard, the TH30 is actually more similar to the Rockerverb series. I dunno though, I haven't tried it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hmm... Well then perhaps it is time for me to try a Rockerverb! The TH30 is just so damn meaty. I love it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Stop being richer than me.

Are you a studio owner?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
wow.

just wow.

that is all

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
That's a lot of new toys

Yeah a DAW controller is my next thing when I can afford something, must be nice!
But wait!

There's more!

This makes (3) CAD Equitek E100 mics that I own now. I figured, with the new SCA rack, I might as well buy some more mics, so I can mic up a drum set again. LOVE these on overheads for drums and the third will make a nice room mic - Or I'll just sell it. I got both of these cause the guy was selling them as a pair for cheaper than they usually cost for one

Not super huge on this mic for vocals, but it works really nice on acoustic instruments. For the price these sometimes go for, they can't be beat IMO. Very much a sleeper mic. The originals are made right here in the USA, too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

They just did the same thing 6 times. I'm thinking you got ripped off bro.

Got this pretty Ampeg SVT-410HLF cab in trade with the Ibanez bass, too:

Then, of course, I had to have an amp for it, so I found a seemingly desperate guy selling his Gallien Krueger GK1001RB-II for a no-brainer price. She's got a little buzz on the volume knobs when you move em, but I'm sure some contact cleaner will fix it right up.

I've never really been impressed by any Ampeg stuff. Their amps are alright, but they sound super boring IMO. Nothing special. The 4x10 cab is great, though! Can get plenty of boom, while still retaining lots of clarity.

The GK amp I've had before and don't remember it being particularly amazing, but for the price I paid, and the wattage it puts out, I jumped on it. Glad I did! This thing sounds WAY better than I remember. Clean and punchy - You can even drive the volume for a nice grittiness, if you want (though, it does tend to get a bit muddy if you do that). Cool if you like a fuzz-bass sound, though! Pairs great with my SansAmp RBI, I've yet to try it with the Kemper on top, though... maybe someday I'll get around to it

Quote by Ippon
Such a badass shopper! Looking for a newer VH4 to compare to the first run version, and none of that 2500 or over, please.

I'll keep a lookout, though I don't generally go on the guitar forum classifieds anymore, cause there's not really much that interests me at this point

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
They just did the same thing 6 times. I'm thinking you got ripped off bro.

FUUUUU! You might be right!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Went to Guitar Center a few weeks ago with my girlfriend and she was having a lot of fun playing with the synths, so I decided to buy her the one she liked the most:

I give you, the Korg MicroKORG. Really enjoying this little thing... Despite its size, there's a TON of features on it, and it fits perfectly on my desk, next to my Mackie Control and Alesis QX25.

Got this one off a local guy who originally had it listed at market value, but wouldn't budge lower, so I just put in the back of my mind - I guess he ended up needing cash quickly and said he was just going to take it to Guitar Center to sell it to them on Sunday if he couldn't sell it... so I offered him $125 and the rest is history This is the first synth I've owned, though I own several soft synth libraries, but I've never really delved deep into them. Excited to have all the options right at my finger tips, rather than on a screen, though. Some of the stock sounds are kinda meh, but it seems like there's a pretty big following of these synths online, so cool patches are readily available, plus you can always create your own sounds. Apparently Skrillex actually uses this synth for his grindy bass synths, and I believe it, this thing can get some pretty convincing dub step sounds right out of the box.

Really, I'm just happy my girlfriend has something to play around with now, so I don't feel like I'm taking time away from her when we get to be together and I want to do music stuff. This way, she can be involved, which is cool with me
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by NakedInTheRain
what the **** derek, stop buying shit!

although microkorg is pretty tits.

Sorry... just one more...

This one's an Agile Septor Pro 727 - As you can see, it is currently inoperable, because I took the crappy pickups out of it and put a pair of EMG 81-7s in it, and never finished it

However, I really like the neck on it. I've always had issues with 7 strings, because the necks on most of them tend to be too fat and my wrists cramp up - Not so on this one. Thin like an Ibanez, but still substantial enough to feel like I'm not going to break it. Only downside to the guitar is the pickups are absolutely horrible, muddy messes. Yuck! Hopefully the 81-7s I picked up on the cheap will work nicely, whenever I get around to finishing that project
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dang dude. I don't see how you can post on the forums with all these new toys. I would be in a trance for at least a week.
I never understood 7-strings. Do they give you an H note?

:confuse:

It looks nice though, I'm thinking of getting an Agile also soon maybe. I hear so many good things.
Can I be your roadie?
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Page 1 of 2