I am trying to achieve a decent metal tone out of my rig.
Influences are A7X,Mudvayne, Pantera etc.
Gear is Laney Vc50.
Handwired cleanboost,ocd clone, ts clone,fuzz,delay,phaser and wah.
Main guitar Schecter hellraiser c1 fr emg 81/85 combo.
I assume its the 212 combo since you didn't list a cab. Well, Since laney Amps have a lot of treble I would watch how high you set it.

Since you have a "ts clone" I can only assume its an Overdrive pedal to the Tubescreamer. On the OD I would turn the gain down and your level up to boost your Distorted tones. Don't use the Fuzz, phaser or wah. I personally wouldn't use a delay so I would have the tightest sound possible.

For your amp settings. DON'T scoop your mids out. Keep a nice amount of midrange so your tone doesn't sound like dong. As said above don't use more treble than you need, and same goes with bass.

It may not sound like an A7X or Pantera tone but it will be the best thing you can do with your amp. I know A7X uses tube amps so they have a decent amount of punch, but Dimebag Darrell on the other hand, used Randall solid state. He used 2 EQ pedals ( I think ) One in the front to add mids to give it some crunch. Then one through the loop to Scoop em out a bit. So just EQ your shit right and you will be good.
Thanks for the reply yes its the 2x12 and the tubescreamer
Is fully modified fat switch bright switch 3 gain settings etc
And yes my amp has treble to spare.
Quote by RJH11
Thanks for the reply yes its the 2x12 and the tubescreamer
Is fully modified fat switch bright switch 3 gain settings etc
And yes my amp has treble to spare.

Yeah, Use your amps gain instead of the Overdrives. Unless you need that extra bit to push it over the edge. Just use it as a boost
Quote by Sir Stoney
I assume its the 212 combo since you didn't list a cab. Well, Since laney Amps have a lot of treble I would watch how high you set it.

Since you have a "ts clone" I can only assume its an Overdrive pedal to the Tubescreamer. On the OD I would turn the gain down and your level up to boost your Distorted tones. Don't use the Fuzz, phaser or wah. I personally wouldn't use a delay so I would have the tightest sound possible.

For your amp settings. DON'T scoop your mids out. Keep a nice amount of midrange so your tone doesn't sound like dong. As said above don't use more treble than you need, and same goes with bass.

It may not sound like an A7X or Pantera tone but it will be the best thing you can do with your amp. I know A7X uses tube amps so they have a decent amount of punch, but Dimebag Darrell on the other hand, used Randall solid state. He used 2 EQ pedals ( I think ) One in the front to add mids to give it some crunch. Then one through the loop to Scoop em out a bit. So just EQ your shit right and you will be good.

+1.
I was wondering which of my two ODs would
work best at trying to tame my amps treble or
would a graphic eq work more effectively through
the loop?
Quote by RJH11
I was wondering which of my two ODs would
work best at trying to tame my amps treble or
would a graphic eq work more effectively through
the loop?

Just try each one and see which one do you like more.
An EQ pedal can always be useful. If you think your tone can be better, with EQ you can actually make it better.
Yes I think my tone could be better. I'm also trying
to decide which overdrive
to keep in line with my clean
boost Ocd or Tubescreamer
both have aspects I like but
I don't want to suck tone by
having to many pedals.
Crank the gain on your amp and then boost the front of your amp with a Tubescreamer level all the way up and gain at ~8 o/clock.

Really not a whole lot you can do with your rig. Your amp is completely wrong for the tones you want, and all of your pedals are pretty much useless for it besides your Tubescreamer.

You could sell it and get something different (Jet City amps are cheap and A7X use(d) them), or get a good standalone metal pedal (Wampler Triple Wreck, for example).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 1, 2013,
What's the old saying on this forum?

Looks like you need a new amp...
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Thanks guys triple wreck ordered I like my amp
because metal is not all I play but I do play it alot.
Quote by RJH11
Thanks guys triple wreck ordered I like my amp
because metal is not all I play but I do play it alot.

Fnd an amp with a good level gain and a nice clean channel. My amp is either decent clean channel, or so much gain you can't turn it past noon. Now if you end up getting an amp like that, you can use your EQ and OD on a clean channel to boost the gain. This way you could get a nice classic rock sound. I know on my 10 band EQ, there was a gain slider. That was before I spilled water on one of the sliders, now there is an eternal clicking noise.