Hi!

I'm new around here, I'm 16 years old and I'm from Argentina.

I don't have a very good ear for this kind of things so I need others opinion about my sweep picking. This is not my best recording but it's all I have now. What do you think?

soundcloud.com/sr7s/sweeping-improv
Last edited by SR7s at Aug 31, 2013,
Quote by vayne92
It's pretty damn ****ing average in all honesty.

Haha, well at least he was honest.

Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Fallenoath
Haha, well at least he was honest.

Average is not that bad, is it?

What do you think?
Quote by SR7s
Average is not that bad, is it?

What do you think?

He didn't say you sucked so yeah....Average is average.

Not bad but not amazing.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by Fallenoath
He didn't say you sucked so yeah....Average is average.

Not bad but not amazing.

^

It's not bad enough to warrant me telling my friends "holy shit look at this guy he's awful" but it's not good enough for me to say "holy **** i just found Andy James' robot son".

It's average. Needs work obviously.
Honestly, I wouldn't say you were average, you definitely have some ambition, good on you for not posting a three string sweep pattern and asking if you were a master sweeper, but, you were very sloppy, the timing wasn't there, notes were missed, the tone possibly had too much gain, it didn't feel confident, a lot of work needs to be done. You need to slow down, get the notes out, then build up to that kind of sweeping, if you just attempt it without any practice, you're gonna get something a bit like what you posted, and you wouldn't be able to get away with it live or in a studio. However, your ideas are there, you don't need to be taught that you can link and make melodies with arpeggios instead of repeating the same one over and over, so you just need more technique to back up that knowledge.
I wouldn't call it average because the fundamentals aren't there yet. Notes ring over, timing intransparent, slides inaccurate. I think the chord progression is a bit ambitious for your technique yet. Clean it up a lot.
Thanks a lot for the replies guys, this really motivated me to practice more