So, I've been having some serious issues figuring out what kind of music I want to play. It really tends to flicker between me wanting to be in a ska band, wanting to be in a power metal band, and wanting to just be a solo acoustic performer. I've been an acoustic fingerstyle player through most of my guitaring life.

Anyways, this has been stressing me out a little, and I'm just wondering if I'm approaching this the wrong way? Do you guys play a specific style or just play anything you feel like? Is it more sensible to focus on upping my guitar skills and, when I join a band or w/e, focus on whatever style that is?

All replies will be appreciated Thanks guys
Last edited by PHEEP-PHEEP at Sep 1, 2013,
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Play what you like. If a band comes around that plays music you like then join. I don't really see why you would do this any other way.

Thanks dude. I must be overcomplicating :P

Why don't you try and fuse the two, start a ska-metal band, something original.

adamgur96

Haha, that could be interesting, will actually try this just for fun.
Quote by captainsnazz
You should form a superblack vegetarian progressive grindcore-core band instead.

You know what, you're totally right. We could be totally underground and hipster and cool as ****.
Quote by whoomit
Don't try and arrange your emotions into genres, man.

That kinda blew my mind.
When I play I don't even comprehend genres. I just play what I like the sound of. Genres can be quite limiting.
Sounds like you need a new amp
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Quote by whoomit
Follow your heart.

Don't try and arrange your emotions into genres, man.

Definitely do though otherwise you'll write absolute wank
1) don't join a ska band
2) don't listen to ska
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Sounds like you need a new amp

How did you know!?

Definitely do though otherwise you'll write absolute wank

Wait, arrange emotions to genres or follow your heart?

1) don't join a ska band
2) don't listen to ska

ahh! thats what my problem was all along!
Always arrange emotions to genres. You're not an innovator, you're musical thoughts do not transcend musical boundaries. So find a genre you like to write in and rinse it for all you can.

The limitations of genres are great because they give you a template to work from and focus you on making successful sections rather than you wanking away at something that nobody will relate to or have a reference to understand. Unless you think you're gonna start the next big thing, I don't see why people pretend using genres is a bad idea.
Limitations can help, but there are genres that are more based on structure than content like progressive music.
Always arrange emotions to genres. You're not an innovator, you're musical thoughts do not transcend musical boundaries. So find a genre you like to write in and rinse it for all you can.

You have a pretty good point, the hardest thing for me is finding what genre to play in baha ><

Limitations can help, but there are genres that are more based on structure than content like progressive music.

Ahh, I'll have to go do some research or something, haha.