My guitar is fitted with 2A223J capacitors. I would like to change them but don't know what to change to. I play alot of metal. Any recomendations? I play on a Greg Bennet Torino TR1 with Duncan Designed HB 103 pickups.
What makes you think the capacitors will make such an improvement on your tone in front of say, your amp/pickups/wiring+pots/effects/cables.

Capacitors are only a tiny component in the machine of your rig. What else are you playing through?
Mojo tone caps (orange drops, etc) are pointless. As coupling caps in an amp they do make a difference, but not as a cap-to-ground in a guitar tone control. The reason being that whatever signal goes through the cap is shunted to ground and out of the signal. I dont care what anyone says, expensive audiophile orange drops and plain old ceramics will sound the same.

If you want to change your sound, get a new amp or new pickups.
Jim, that argument doesn't make sense to me. The cap shunts certain frequencies to ground - so the cap "decides" what gets lopped off. Doesn't it make some sense then that different caps might pass frequencies differently, resulting in a different sound? In other words, the capacitor has the ability to alter the tone by determining what isn't shunted to ground.

For example, a ceramic cap might be very 'efficient' at dutifully dropping every frequency above a certain point. So when you turn the tone knob down, it lops off everything in the top end and it gets muddy fast. An old paper in oil cap is maybe less efficient, or just has some peculiarity that causes it to leave some frequencies in, or to roll them off in a non-linear fashion. So it sounds a bit clearer because it left something in the signal path that the other cap did not. It's a filter; what it leaves in is just as important as what is left out, and what is left in is what gets sent to your amp.

I know people will swear up and down that there's no difference, and I suppose I can't argue with your perception of things, but that particular argument doesn't satisfy me from an electronic standpoint.
It makes perfect sense, but people don't have spectrum analyzers for ears. I'm not saying the different types don't perform differently, I'm saying that when the freqs passing through the cap end up shunted to ground, whatever non-linearities present in the cap's performance are not gonna be percieved.

Sure, one may run into a cap where there is some small perceptible effect, but the 10-20% or worse tolerance on caps are just going to mask or negate it.

We probably wont change the other's mind or anything, and I may not have explained it well, but that's how I see it. I'm not trying to put anyone down or anything. It's way too common to see guitarists blindly believing in whatever tone mojo they read about online.
What about the people who change their tone caps and notice a difference, though? Blindly believing whatever you want is one thing, but tolerances don't really account for the fact that most people experience a ceramic cap as getting muddy faster than an orange drop across a fairly large sample size. And we do have spectrum analyzers of sorts for ears, that's how we hear tone. You can't convincingly claim that one tonal shift is audible and one isn't just by declaring one "not perceived" with no further evidence. If I perceive it, doesn't that negate your argument?

An hour or two with some alligator clips and a few tone caps is all the evidence I needed to stop thinking it was a silly superstition. Your experience might be different but it was an eye-opener for me. These caps are cheap, it's a $10 experiment. Maybe if I'm feeling enterprising this week I'll put my money where my mouth is and make some clips.
I've done the experiment too. I didn't notice any differences whatsoever...

ExplorerBuilder: I agree. The power of suggestion isn't called that for nothing.

Having said that it should he noted that when I did the experiment I had no preconceptions; I had heard it both ways and didn't really know what to think, hence I tried it myself.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Roc,
I bet it is all mental... Just knowing that there is a change. People so gullible to that with guitar stuff.

See, that's the answer I always get, and I think it's rubbish. You could say the same thing about strings and tubes, for basically the same reasons, and yet nobody dismisses that stuff as silly. Perhaps it's mental, but I went in not expecting a change and got one, so I think there's something more to it. Given no satisfactory explanation for why there shouldn't be a change, I'll go with my own experience over someone else telling me I'm wrong because their gut tells them it shouldn't matter.

Maybe thousands of people are being led astray, but I feel like the hate that tone cap changes get is unwarranted. It's a very, very cheap mod and if you don't hear any difference you're only out $5 and maybe a half hour of your time. It's no worse than trying a new set of strings.
I never had any money growing up (still don't, honestly) so I hate to see people spend 5 bucks on a particular type of cap when a 30 cent part will do exactly the same thing. My test results yielded no differences and the best I can do is go with my experience, same as you are. Let's just agree to disagree.