Page 1 of 2
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ

GOAL: You have until September 20TH to learn a song, any song of your choice, with the instrument of your choice, and record it and upload it (to Youtube, your UG profile or any related site). Audio alone is fine. Video is fine. This should prove some fun and a good time waster and all along you're becoming a better musician. After all entries have been made we will judge on cleanliness, accuracy, techniques (ex. good harmonics or vibrato), styles, speed, etc. and overall impression.

NOTICE: Do not upload to a site where you have to register to view/hear the song (ie, facebook, etc)

*** REGISTRATION IS OPEN RIGHT UP UNTIL THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE ***

Thanks to StewieSwan for this:
To export a GP5 drum track as an Mp3 if I just download the song from UG...

Make sure only the drum track is on (mute the others or press the S button on the drum track in GP) and then go File - Export - MIDI. Once the drum MIDI is exported, find it wherever you put it and open it with itunes. Then right click the track and select "create mp3".
If it doesn't say mp3, if it's another kind of format then go Edit - Preferences - General - Import Settings - Import Using Mp3 Encoder and then right click the song and convert to mp3. This is all assuming you have the latest itunes.

These are the categories:

Guitar -- Easy/Intermediate/Advanced -- (note that 'easy' doesn't mean 'beginner')

Bass Guitar Intermediate/Advanced

Other

The finally completed COLLABORATION category! --

NOTES:

Other includes drums, vocals, keyboards, kazookeylele, bottles, or even the almighty triangle!

The COLLABORATION entries must consist of 2 or more people doing whatever instrument they feel like. All entrants for each song need to confirm their participation in order to be entered.

Don't forget the official UG Group for this monthly competition! Join for updates and news on current and future competitions. Suggestions are also welcome!

Please post the title of the song and band you are choosing and the category you are joining. Your registration will be invalidated if your registration is incomplete. (Bear in mind I probably won't know what BBFSTEDT or whatever stands for so dn't abbrv. wrds & terms)

Post if you are interested. You can also join multiple categories but only 1 entry per instrument per tier.

RULES:
1. Please do not pick a song you already know -- though finishing off a song you've tried and failed on sections of before is fine.
2. Feel free to register as long as you will post an entry by the 20th.
3. The winners get points
4. ...
5. Refer to Rule No.1!!!
6. Profit!

ENTRIES:

Guitar

Easy:

Sickman - Alice in Chains (liampje)

Survival - Muse (nico_9550)

Intermediate:

Always and Never - Coheed & Cambria (iHurricaneGTR)

Leather Rebel - Judas Priest (Leony03)

Advanced:

Informal Gluttony - Between the Buried and Me (wolvesofmibu)

Disease, Injury, Madness - Between The Buried And Me (Random3)

Limb From Limb - Protest the Hero (WCPhils)

The Face Of My Innocence - Arsis (oneblackened)

Bass Guitar

Easy

Wish You Were Here - Incubus (Horsedick.MPEG)

Leather Rebel - Judas Priest (Leony03)

Mathematics - Mos Def (TokaiEX)

Intermediate:

Gold Teeth On A Bum - The Dillinger Escape Plan (Random3)

Advanced:

Hair Trigger - Protest The Hero (Random3)

Other

In The Shadow Of The Horns - Darkthrone (SaintVitus)

COLLABORATION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTING THREADS

Easy Guitar:

Intermediate Guitar:

Advanced Guitar:

Easy Bass:

Intermediate Bass:

Advanced Bass:

Collaborations:

Other:
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Sep 15, 2013,
LOUDER!
No seriously...
32 IQ
I want to enter again, but I gotta come up with a song first.
Gear

EVH Wolfgang Special
Schecter Omen 7
Sterling JP70
Fender Newporter Acoustic
Bugera 6262
Peavey XXX 4x12
Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Limb From Limb - Protest the Hero (Advanced)

I won't say anything else since I rarely even get one in :/
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Op le updated
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
K'Nuckles
The president of ass
1,885 IQ
I saw Steve Vai last night and it makes me reeeeally want to learn Tender Surrender.
nico_9550
#teamsansa
347 IQ
I've decided to do Survival - Muse on guitar. I think it might be easy but I'm not sure

Quote by K'Nuckles
I saw Steve Vai last night and it makes me reeeeally want to learn Tender Surrender.

Do it, it's a great song
jjfeu662
Celestia
1,996 IQ
This time I'll only announce if I have actually learned the song instead of saying I'll do it and looking like a fool when I don't.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
6,559 IQ
I've been looking at bits of Tender Surrender for a couple of years and I don't really want to try it until I know I can play all of it properly, if you pull it off well K'Nuckles I'll be very impressed

I assume the rest of the show was good.
K'Nuckles
The president of ass
1,885 IQ
There's no chance of me pulling it off anywhere near as well as it should be.

Yeah, the show was great. A lot of audience interaction which was really nice, AMAZING showmanship as well.
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
OP Updated
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,411 IQ
Thread stickied. Sorry it took a while, I've been really busy at work lately and forgot!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
6,559 IQ
I'll post this here as I figure we have a fair few PTH fans in the thread.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/09/05/exclusive-premiere-protest-the-hero-clarity/

First track off their new album has been released for streaming online. Can't wait for the album!

Also I'll try and do What Do You Want From Me by Pink Floyd for easy bass and intermediate guitar.
Last edited by Random3 at Sep 5, 2013,
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by nico_9550
It sounds amazing

I've always wanted to learn one of their songs but they're too hard for me

Heretics and Killers, Blindfolds Aside, and Turn Soonest to the Sea are pretty good to start with. Not too hard at all.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
iHurricaneGTR
Big Gumbo Jones
70 IQ
alright now that i have time gonna do it this month. i think i might do always and never by coheed and cambria. i just got a new martin and it sounds fantastic so i wanna do an acoustic. i guess that'd be intermediate? or beginner? idk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx8g7B2H96M
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
OP updateeeed
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
oneblackened
Better Than You At Mixing
3,300 IQ
Arsis - The Face Of My Innocence - Guitar Advanced
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (BKP C-Bomb/VHII)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey
3,503 IQ
I really need to get back into this!

This may not be definite but for the moment, put me down for Leather Rebel by Judas Priest on Intermediate Guitar and....Easy Bass? Sounds like it would be easy but what do you lot think? I'll be using a pick rather than finger picking this time if that helps

I may do a Green Day for Easy Guitar but not too sure what song yet.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
nico_9550
#teamsansa
347 IQ
Quote by WCPhils
Heretics and Killers, Blindfolds Aside, and Turn Soonest to the Sea are pretty good to start with. Not too hard at all.

Thanks I'll check the tabs for Blindfold Aside I really love that song
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
OP Updated homies
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
SaintVitus
gdnsgdfadsghb
80 IQ
Could i enter a cover of an entire album as opposed to a single song if i recorded it in one take?
DISCLAIMER: There's a very good chance that i have no idea what i'm talking about.

Quote by CodeMonk
Your sig has never been more true.
And you are a piss poor troll.

Quote by phayzze
Can someone explain to me wtf this guy is on about

H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
There might not be enough entries this month.

Maybe I'll try to cover something

OP Updated
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
It's coo
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
iHurricaneGTR
Big Gumbo Jones
70 IQ
so whats up if not enough people enter this time? do entries get carried over in to october?

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
Quote by iHurricaneGTR
so whats up if not enough people enter this time? do entries get carried over in to october?

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

OP Updated
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
OP updated
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
added

EDIT: It kind of looks like there might only be a few categories that will have enough entries to make voting worthwhile so I might just carry over the entries to next month. It's either that or defaulting the entries and just giving points.

Anywho... FOUR DAYS GUYS HOLY SHIT
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Sep 16, 2013,
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
6,559 IQ
On the off-chance that anyone is interested, I thought I would post this here.

I have been writing an album's worth of material and have been recording and mixing it over the past few weeks. I have uploaded one track and I am looking for any feedback on the mixing and mastering, but feel free to comment on the song itself as well.

I will not say any gear that I used, please treat it as if it is a professionally produced song.

I will upload the rest of the songs to my Youtube when I have finished mastering them, for now I am looking for opinions from a different set of ears.

Please have a listen, even just for a minute or so just to give some feedback on the production. Thanks in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-qOrXIBUI
iHurricaneGTR
Big Gumbo Jones
70 IQ
Quote by Random3
On the off-chance that anyone is interested, I thought I would post this here.

I have been writing an album's worth of material and have been recording and mixing it over the past few weeks. I have uploaded one track and I am looking for any feedback on the mixing and mastering, but feel free to comment on the song itself as well.

I will not say any gear that I used, please treat it as if it is a professionally produced song.

I will upload the rest of the songs to my Youtube when I have finished mastering them, for now I am looking for opinions from a different set of ears.

Please have a listen, even just for a minute or so just to give some feedback on the production. Thanks in advance!

first off, loved the song itself
only things i really caught were that it was kinda generally muddy. cut some low mids maybe? not a whole lot though.

the kick needs some more highs, imo. but i like my kicks to really stick out in my mixes (sounding more like a "thwack" than a "thud"), and i realize a lot of people would rather have them sound more "rounded" and not as in-your-face (if that makes sense to you), so really that's just preference for me...
also, maybe crank up your verb with a pretty high highpass filter (or add verb if you havent done so) to the snare to make it sound a little more like a live setting and open up the mix a little.

still better than i could do, though. nice job!

Quote by FireFromTheVoid

Twatter
Last edited by iHurricaneGTR at Sep 19, 2013,
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.
6,559 IQ
Quote by iHurricaneGTR
first off, loved the song itself
only things i really caught were that it was kinda generally muddy. cut some low mids maybe? not a whole lot though.

the kick needs some more highs, imo. but i like my kicks to really stick out in my mixes (sounding more like a "thwack" than a "thud"), and i realize a lot of people would rather have them sound more "rounded" and not as in-your-face (if that makes sense to you), so really that's just preference for me...
also, maybe crank up your verb with a pretty high highpass filter (or add verb if you havent done so) to the snare to make it sound a little more like a live setting and open up the mix a little.

still better than i could do, though. nice job!

Thanks for the feedback!

I did boost some of the highs on the kick, and that is the sound I was trying to get but I think it got a bit lost in the guitars.

I didn't use reverb on the snare, I will try that today