Page 1 of 3
There's a trend with bands now where they are too conceited, most of them look like they're a group of randoms who decided to get up onstage after work. I'm not saying they have to go "Kiss" on the whole thing with makeup and spandex, but at least look the part of being in a band, some of you are going to say "it's all about the music" and yes, for the most part it is, but if a band is going to do a gig, it has to be a performance, a frontman with long hair, denim jacket, and black jeans is convincing when he's headbanging, but a guy onstage wearing wine chinos, and abercrombie and fitch t shirt just looks like an idiot. Do you think Bruce Dickinson would still be in Iron Maiden if he showed up to his first gig with them in a pair of basketball shorts and football jersey ?
I'm saying this because a band I know was playing there first gig at a party the other night and there guitarist showed up in a pink sweater and wine chinos, the rest dressed
like they were actually in a metal band.
What do you guys think ?
who cares. i saw this guy in this awesome hardcore band last month. look what he's wearing.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
For some bands, image is a huge part of the show. Steve Vai, Kiss, Maiden etc all have a very clear live image and their shows would not be the same without it.

Other bands just don't need it. If it works it can be great, but a band with less of a live image isn't necessarily worse for it.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
who cares. i saw this guy in this awesome hardcore band last month. look what he's wearing.

He looks like a twat.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
He looks like a twat.

nah
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
It depends if it works for the band. I generally am not in favor of bands that tend to go full-face paint and such anymore, because I think it's tacky. But whatever...
Starting out, who gives a crap. Especially if you're just gigging for fun.
But if you're trying to "make it" from day one, or you are on the rise, people are going to want to know how to identify with you.
But that's also why so many metal bands go up there looking like average joes, because they know that metal fans are almost all average joes, and it helps the fans feel like they can relate to you.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Good argument,

on par with what you offered up.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
It depends if it works for the band. I generally am not in favor of bands that tend to go full-face paint and such anymore, because I think it's tacky. But whatever...
But how else will you know how black metal that one black metal band is without their black metal face pain?? D:
every band has an image. some bands just have a more notable one than others. so yeah, i think image should definitely be a factor bands consider. that doesn't mean i think every band should find a gimmick. but people like to associate sight with sound, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Quote by Trowzaa
No band should have an image, just wear whatever you want.

i want to see a band perform in short gym shorts and ratty old singlets

that would be a dream
cat
You need an image to sell. If it's a just-for-fun band then it's fine to just show up wearing whatever, but if you want to actually be at all serious with it, pick an image/theme/etc. It doesn't even have to be serious and costumes, just something so you don't look like a bunch of dudes who're doing this becuase they have nothing better to do on a weekend afternoon.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Everyone has an image... Even the grunge shoegazers who didn't want an image because the glammers had one had an image... Glam doesn't feel right dressed in street clothes.
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
The way I see it, most bands without an image don't have the balls to be "out there" and usually have next to no stage presence.
what you're observing is due to genre isn't it? i feel like abercrombie is an acceptable "image" for emo/-core/blah. but i don't like those genres so what do i know
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
what you're observing is due to genre isn't it? i feel like abercrombie is an acceptable "image" for emo/-core/blah. but i don't like those genres so what do i know

I don't listen to any music which has emo or core in the genre but the only image abercrombie and fitch fits into is fake-tanned up Jersey Shore douches.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
The way I see it, most bands without an image don't have the balls to be "out there" and usually have next to no stage presence.

uh huh.

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

clearly nothing.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Yeah if you were at a rave and looking for the guy with the ecstasy.

And that's not fun, how?

But seriously, that's the type of shit I could see my mate wearing if he was ever in a band and he's fun.
hey sometimes i go to a gig right after work
although at work im wearing slightly bussinesssey clothes so i throw on a blazer adnd bam bitches all night
Quote by lemmyisgod97

ill take that over not looking like twats on stage.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Yeah but they don't look like a metal band, they look like a couple of hipsters.

i'd argue that they have about as little of an image as a band can.... even the album art of their albums doesn't exactly stick to one style, from the black and white 'one of us is the killer', to the refined, clear cut 'ire works' to the absolute mess of 'miss machine'

so what exactly were you saying about stage presence?
Quote by soundgarden1986
ill take that over not looking like twats on stage.

Yeah, but a guy that looks like a metal head rocking out on stage doesn't look like a twat, a guy that looks like a normal guy rocking out on stage does.
Quote by lemmyisgod97
Yeah, but a guy that looks like a metal head rocking out on stage doesn't look like a twat, a guy that looks like a normal guy rocking out on stage does.

Quote by lemmyisgod97

good opinion
Quote by lemmyisgod97

a guy that looks like a metal head looks like an idiot by default.
I used to be in bands all the time. I don't wear ''metal clothes'' my clothes don't dictate what I play, how I play it and the music I like.
pinga
It can be pretty awesome.

But every good band has an image, although that image can be carefully crafted, or just an emergent property of the band's individual tendencies.
If you care about image you should look into One Direction. You'd probably like them.
Sail upon the open skies
Page 1 of 3