I've been playing Guitar for about 3-4 years, I use an Ibanez S421. I really need help with deciding on buying a new amp. I've been looking at a few amps for a while now.

I play mostly Metal, Metalcore, Thrash Metal: I play songs from bands like August Burns Red, Parkway Drive and All That Remains. Now I've used a 15 watt practise amp to this day and I need an upgrade pretty soon since it sounds like sh*t.

I've looked at the Peavey Bandit 112, the Vox 40/80+, and Fender Mustang iii v.2.
Now my budget is £200-250 but I could go a little extra. I'm looking to get a good tone, It's nice to have a lot of effects but if one of these amps has a better tone and less effects it would be more suitable for me. So I need to know which amp has the best Distortion, and which has the best cleans, since it is easier to get a better Metal tone with Distortion Pedals, rather than trying to get a good clean tone.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them, also bear in mind that I could wait a little while longer and save up a bit more money to get a cheap tube amp, because I heard these things are great. (e.g. The Peavey ValveKing 112 seems to be a great amp paired up with a good overdrive pedal.) Or I could see if any good offers come up on Musicians Friend.

One final thing I'd like to know is which amp can be used for small gigs/ playing with a drummer? Because I've heard that the Mustang only truly sounds good when you plug it into a PC and tweak it with the FUSE and other software that comes with it. That's not a terrible thing because I'm not going to be gigging very often, but i don't want to carry around a laptop to every session.

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by IrishCore at Sep 8, 2013,
I would highly suggest saving up a bit more, but the Valveking and an OD would probably be a safe bet. I'm not sure what is available to you in your location but based on the currency I assume you're somewhere in Europe. Peavey does make pretty good metal amps and if you could find a used Peavey Ultra or Butcher I think you'd be golden. I know Jet City also goes for semi cheap on Thomman, but still I think a JCA50 and a cab would be out of your budget.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I'm from Northern Ireland and really the closest large music store available to me sells a bunch of BlackStar amps. I haven't tried them but blackstars are expensive. I'll look up Jet City and see what I think. Thanks bro.
If you can save a bit more theres always a JCM2000 DSL 401 or something like that, Used though.

Other options could be a used 6505+ 1x12 combo.
Bugera 6260/6262 combo used.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
What's your location? If you're in the UK, a good suggestion would be to scan the used market (gumtree, ebay etc. ) for a Peavey 6505 Combo. It's a pretty generic suggestion, but still, it'd suit what you're playing very well.
Only trouble is you might have to go a with a higher budget.

Wait, there are these on gumtree actually, a pretty great price if you ask me.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peavey-6505-112-combo/1030614833
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peavey-6505-1x12combo-plus/1029836920
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peavey-6505-112-combo-amp/1029234481

EDIT:

I missed the cleans part..you should be able to get passable clean tones from it, with some pedals in the mix so i've heard.
Last edited by ambler3 at Sep 1, 2013,
Quote by ambler3
What's your location? If you're in the UK, a good suggestion would be to scan the used market (gumtree, ebay etc. ) for a Peavey 6505 Combo. It's a pretty generic suggestion, but still, it'd suit what you're playing very well.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peavey-6505-1x12combo-plus/1029836920w

Im tempted to buy that 2nd 6505 and turn it into a head aha

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Im tempted to buy that 2nd 6505 and turn it into a head aha

Wish I had the money right now actually, I could do with one current half stack is nice, but well...6505...

I say that, but then again, that's just one of the things on my GAS list that, with accompanying pedals along side a pup change/7 string with decent ones.
Last edited by ambler3 at Sep 1, 2013,
+1 on jet city, if you can stretch. you can get the 50 watt head for £250 (or the 20 watt high gain head for ~£200, if you really need to save as much as possible).

thomann sells them for those prices and the harley benton g212 vintage is a good match for them too at ~£160, which already has good speakers. at those prices they're really hard to beat, though obviously that's of little consolation if you really can't stretch.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ambler3

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/peavey-6505-1x12combo-plus/1029836920

EDIT:

I missed the cleans part..you should be able to get passable clean tones from it, with some pedals in the mix so i've heard.

That is a nice deal but I'd be more satisfied with a delivery. I'll keep an eye on musicians friend for offers. I don't really want to buy a tube amp from ebay since I've no experience in repairing them. Or is delivery available from gumtree?
You wouldnt have to repair anything from those few amps off gumtree.
Just have to go collect them or sort something out with the seller.

And as for the cleans from them. Have a little chorus and reverb and it should be fine

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by IrishCore
That is a nice deal but I'd be more satisfied with a delivery. I'll keep an eye on musicians friend for offers. I don't really want to buy a tube amp from ebay since I've no experience in repairing them. Or is delivery available from gumtree?

Fair point about not being able to repair them, it should be okay to buy one used i'd think. and send the sellers an email, ask them if they'll deliver to you. You could organise with them for them to get a courier company to deliver it to you.
Check out the Blackstar ID series, they're a little more expensive but they're about 15.million times better than any solid state amp I've ever used (I work in Dawsons Music for 6 years) So have played a few!
Quote by jackrmesser
Check out the Blackstar ID series, they're a little more expensive but they're about 15.million times better than any solid state amp I've ever used (I work in Dawsons Music for 6 years) So have played a few!

They may be good, but i'd imagine that if he's wanting a giggable amp, he's going to want to go tube.
Fender Mustang III is the best out of those.

Don't get a ValveKing, you'd be wasting your time. Ditto for Marshall DSL401.

Jet City JCA22 or JCA50 may work. I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure. They're not 6505s though.

Save up for a 6505+.

Vypyr Tube 60.

If you don't get a modeling amp, make sure you get an EQ with a level slider. I really like the Danelectro Fish & Chips, really excellent value. MXR 10 Band is the standard, though more pricey.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 6, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92

Jet City JCA22 or JCA50 may work. I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure. They're not 6505s though.

true, but they're good-sounding, high gain tube amps at a good price. They're also arguably better for thrash than a 6505. Admittedly, a 6505 is arguably better for metalcore (though a jca will do metalcore no bother). Just depends on what he means by "metal", as usual...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
true, but they're good-sounding, high gain tube amps at a good price. They're also arguably better for thrash than a 6505. Admittedly, a 6505 is arguably better for metalcore (though a jca will do metalcore no bother). Just depends on what he means by "metal", as usual...

I dunno, I'd be more satisfied with a Combo than Head+Cab. It's cheaper and I won't be playing at extremely large venues that require a half/full stack with PAs.
they should be available in combo versions.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jackrmesser

Dude these amps do sound pretty sick