So I have a nice Cort P-bass copy and I put in some Dimarzio DP122 pickups and new Ernie Ball strings... but it still doesn't sound like a proper precision bass. Either I get a lot of low end or just a bunch of mid-high tones by tuning the tone. What could I do to improve my sound? Thanks.
What are you playing through?

And what is a proper precision bass sound?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Sep 1, 2013,
Sounds like one of a few things.

1. Rattly low action.
2. Poor (or too aggressive) technique.
3. Shitty amp / preamp.
4. Possibly a duff capacitor on the tone pot.

People mod precision basses a lot but, besides getting a chunkier bridge for sustain and balance, very little will actually noticeably change the tone. "Tone comes from your fingers" is truest with precision basses.
The Model P is pretty middy and it doesn't react well to the tone control IME.

EDIT:Try a 500k pot on the volume and 250k tone pot it's a pretty common setup with the Model P.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Last edited by dark Mass at Sep 1, 2013,
Sakke: Well you know, a P sound...right now it just sound muffled.

I use a Fender Rumble 30w which I think should do the job? Cause my other bass sounds fine.
My action is higher because I play some harder genres. And yes, I do play with a pick. I could try brand new wiring though.
Have you sat down and spent some time messing with the eq settings on your practice amp? If you have the bass cranked up over everything else on a dinky amp (or any I suppose) you're sure to have a flubby sound.

How close to the bridge do you pick? You'll get more definition closer to the bridge. How far is the pickup from the E and A strings? If it's too close to those lower strings, it may contribute to a boomy, muddy sound.
Yeah I messed around with the EQ a lot, tried some suggestions from the internet too. Here is a little recording I did today, bass and treble at 12 o'clock...mids at 3 o'clock, tone on bass on max. CLICK FOR SOUND The pickups are halfway to the strings. Also, the low E strings sounds really just a bunch of low end (and no it's not bad strings, third set in already). And yeah I always play between the bridge and pickup.
Those strings are just dead. No mods needed. I'd recommend some nickel rounds, Elites if you can find them. Some here swear by Roto 66s but I find stainless steel to be too rough on your fingers and they go dead way too soon.

(Besides that, it's a pretty good P Bass sound.)
Quote by Spaz91
Those strings are just dead. No mods needed. I'd recommend some nickel rounds, Elites if you can find them. Some here swear by Roto 66s but I find stainless steel to be too rough on your fingers and they go dead way too soon.

(Besides that, it's a pretty good P Bass sound.)

I agree on the stainless steel thing, but you can get Rotos in nickel - no problems with longevity either.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Quote by chargerbandit
My low E string sounds bad even when the strings were brand new, tried Fenders, Ernie Balls...

EB and Fender strings tend to die fast IMO.

Try DR Sunbeams or Nickel Lo-Riders.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!