I have just recently (past 6 months) learned how to play the guitar. I am looking for a good 2nd guitar too replace my Les Paul Special II. I have a budget of 500usd and like to play anything from Blues to Punk. I would prefer something with a tremolo bar or a guitar where it is easy to install one. I am open to any guitar except for a Les Paul. thank you for your help.
Last edited by Ky1e at Sep 1, 2013,
I'm a self-professed guitar & gear junkie, but I'm puzzled why you're looking to buy another guitar so soon after taking up the hobby.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have always had problems with my Special II. Wont stay in tune no matter what I do/who I take it to, Bridge rattles unless I am strumming slowly, and I honestly have a lot of money from my new job burning a hole in my pocket.
Yea get a Epiphone LP Standard, big upgrade. Or a Mexican Fender Strat, tele etc.
I don't trust most trems in new guitars $500 and under, except things like the Bigsbys you'll find on things like Ibanez Artcores...ESPECIALLY if tuning stability is an issue.

Used/B-Stock/Demo guitars are a bit different: usually, a used $500 guitar with a trem will have something that is better made and more stable than a new guitar in the same price range. For example, I recently posted a few used/b-stock Godins in other threads on UG: a Velocity, a Redline III, and a Freeway SA in the $500-650 range. Any of those SuperStrat-style guitars would have better trems than you'd normally find in that price range. As I recall, the Redline III was at Grapevine Guitar Shop and the other two were on eBay.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a MIM Strat and I love it. My brother just got a used Peavey strat that feels great too, and it was only $100. Also, check out the PRS SE's. I haven't owned any, but the ones I have played have been better than anything else I've tried in that price range. If you can find a used Carvin, those are supposed to be great guitars, but it would be difficult to find one in your price range.