I was out in Mallorca today looking at the lookie lookie men and a few performance artists and stuff and it got me thinking...

Would it not, possibly, be profitable to make a "rock show act" in the touristy areas?

Like, get 2 or 3 guys, have rock music on playback (smoke on the water, Baba O Riley, Hells' Bells, etc), take away the guitar bits, and play the riffs along with the songs? Then have one of the guys singing? Problem is, they'd have to look like a throwback to the 80s. Big ass wigs, bandanas, the old rock clichee...

I think that would be profitable...Hell, I see people gathering around for really cheesy music, so why not this?
Yeah. Go to places where 40 years old go on holiday and do them there.
Wait. So are you on about karaoke with live guitar or a cover band?

Neither will make you rich.
Silverburst
Quote by angusfan16
Jesus christ marie they're minerals

the randomness of this
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by Insanity ninja
Wait. So are you on about karaoke with live guitar or a cover band?

Neither will make you rich.

Basically, yeah.

I know of a guy on the Spanish coast who does something like this. He started with a car rental company, and now he's making so much money with his band/act that he's considering going full-time and stopping the car rental biz.
not as much money as you want
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
There's a guy living near me who did the Ibiza circuit a few times playing as part of funk and covers bands, he said he was only just covering his costs. Now he's a guitar teacher and drives a jaguar.
Silverburst
Quote by Insanity ninja
There's a guy living near me who did the Ibiza circuit a few times playing as part of funk and covers bands, he said he was only just covering his costs. Now he's a guitar teacher and drives a jaguar.

So...you're saying there's a chance?
i help drive a jagjaguwar
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

rock is dead
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Philip_pepper
It's like a zombie. It'll crawl itself up again.

not in the way you're thinking
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

I already had this idea, only it was mobile. We were going to set up a band in the back of an El Camino, then we sobered up and it wasn't that great of a gig.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
I have an even better idea. Take this "rock band," and put them in a place where people will come and pay to see the event. Then, play "shows" and sell "tickets" so you can make money.
No way, man. That's like, so corporate sell-out talk, man. You need to come back to reality, rock is, like, for the people, man.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Dudeman, like, reality's evolving, man. Reality used to be this static concept created by the man, man, and now it's like something we define for ourselves, man. You gotta be a little more open minded, maaaaaan.
I've seen plenty of people do that round Majorca and Ibiza and the Canary Islands...it's terrible dont do it...I wanna relax and drink without some turd playing his guitar to some cheap backing tracks, and pretending he's living the dream playing music abroad when the only reason he is still doing it is because he's too embarrassed to admit it was a bad idea and go home to his friends and family.

I'm sorry to piss on your parade it's just cheesy.
Quote by MattMez
I've seen plenty of people do that round Majorca and Ibiza and the Canary Islands...it's terrible dont do it...I wanna relax and drink without some turd playing his guitar to some cheap backing tracks, and pretending he's living the dream playing music abroad when the only reason he is still doing it is because he's too embarrassed to admit it was a bad idea and go home to his friends and family.

I'm sorry to piss on your parade it's just cheesy.

Cheesyness is the whole selling point of this sort of act! My Dad has a holiday home in Fuertaventura, and he's always talking about the different people who do these shows.

If you're good, there is money to be made at this sort of thing. Any by good, I mean enough of a repertoire to be able to respond to any requests that get thrown at you. You have to know ALL the classics.

You'd have very little musical credibility in a place like UG because a lot of people here who see "living the dream" as being strictly related to making a living touring & selling your own music, but there is a market for this stuff and a half-decent living can be made.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Hope nobody's said this; They do this at Disney world. They like drive a truck/stage thing around and park it places and jam out. It's awesome, except for the censorship. Lol. Cruise ships often do this as well. It's reasonably hard to get into though.
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
Quote by GaryBillington
Cheesyness is the whole selling point of this sort of act! My Dad has a holiday home in Fuertaventura, and he's always talking about the different people who do these shows.

If you're good, there is money to be made at this sort of thing. Any by good, I mean enough of a repertoire to be able to respond to any requests that get thrown at you. You have to know ALL the classics.

You'd have very little musical credibility in a place like UG because a lot of people here who see "living the dream" as being strictly related to making a living touring & selling your own music, but there is a market for this stuff and a half-decent living can be made.

Absolutely.

It's silly, but shit, people get out, sun is shining, people drink, people spend more money. The owner of the place makes more money, you get paid. It's seriously not too bad.
So you're basically asking if there's money to be made in a rock covers band?
There is, if you're good at what you do and can get the gigs. Wouldn't give up the day job though, but earn some extra cash on the side and have fun while doing it.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Philip_pepper
So...you're saying there's a chance?

Yes, there's always a chance.

There's a chance you'll be killed by a falling meteorite tomorrow. Not likely, but there is a chance.
Quote by jugglingfreak

There's a chance you'll be killed by a falling meteorite tomorrow.

No there isn't.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by angusfan16
Jesus christ marie they're minerals

aww shit. I just got this.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by jugglingfreak
There's a chance you'll be killed by a falling meteorite tomorrow. Not likely, but there is a chance.

Meteorites can't fall, they're already on the ground.

Meteoroids can though.
Silverburst