hello,
I play the electric guitar and play metal most of the time. I'd like to learn how music really works. I don't want to limit myself to tabs and would like to know how to play a song I don't know just by reading it (which does not work out with tabs).
Thanks
If you are looking to play songs by ear I suggest getting an ear trainer.

Edit:you could use the power tabs they have the standard notation or get a beginner Hal Lenord book they are like 6 bucks and will teach you the basics of standard notation. The book maybe a bit easy for you but It's to get you to start reading real music. It's always a good idea to train your ear anyway so my original suggestion is still a good idea.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Sep 1, 2013,
Quote by National_Anthem
lrn 2 mode

Why? What use would that be? 90% of the time, he'll be playing tonal music.

@TS:
What exactly are you asking?
That's called sight reading. It takes practice and knowing the notes on the fretboard.

As for music theory, check out musictheory.net and the video series "How Music Works," available on Youtube.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Check out Creative Guitar Studio on Youtube. His name is Andrew Wasson and he kicks major ass. Everything and anything you need to know about theory for guitar is there.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Why? What use would that be? 90% of the time, he'll be playing tonal music.

@TS:
What exactly are you asking?

looks like he wants to know how to sight read on guitar with standard notation, not tab. But as you said, he also asked about how music works which is more music theory.

Personally I'd start on the music theory thing first. Learning to sight read on guitar is darn difficult/awkward if you ask me- I could read music before I learnt guitar (piano) and I still can't do it on guitar That's not to say it can't be done, because of course it can, but it'll require a fair bit of work and application.

Whereas basic music theory could likely be picked up more quickly, and may well be more useful. Plus it'll help with sight reading later, too.

Don't laugh but I found the "complete idiots guide to music theory" book pretty good. Few mistakes, though. Most music books have the odd mistake in them, though, which sucks. Unless you sort of already have some idea about it, it can confuse you...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Also The Crusades here on UG. As a guitarist, it'll teach you some theory.

As for sight reading, learning the fretboard and understanding standard notation together is the main accepted method universally.
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Quote by Dave_Mc
looks like he wants to know how to sight read on guitar with standard notation, not tab. But as you said, he also asked about how music works which is more music theory.

Yeah, I was hoping he'd give a clarification on that. I mean, yeah...he sort of sounds like he wants to know music theory. But whatever.
Yeah At the same time, if he doesn't know it already he can hardly be blamed for not knowing exactly what he needs to learn, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?