SX makes decent Chinese strat copies. It won’t be a great guitar, but it probably won’t have any major defects, either. You could do a lot worse for $120.
Sx used to be nice mod-platform guitars, I dunno how they are now. If you know how to set it up it can do the trip for a while. Mind you that you will need to change the electronics at some point. For 120$ new it's hard to find something better imho.
At that price it can't be beaten, but you'll want to look at a better price range.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
That's good enough for me.

I don't anticipate doing anything to it. My plan is to learn to play enough just to justify to my wife that a higher quality guitar is worth the expense. I'll probably ask for a MiM Fender Strat at that point.
Then i'll have the sx available for my kids.
You might also want to look at a Dean Vendetta. One of the best low end guitars on the market today.
i own an SX Hawk. it's a good guitar and i'm happy with it, but it's an older version with a more Fender-like headstock.

I don't think you'll find a better Strat-style guitar for the price, BUT a Squier Bullet will be close. I actually would go for the Bullet due to the Fender headstock shape. But this Hawk has a pretty cool body.
So far the SX is the one I'm most interested in because I really dig the body on that particular model. I love blue guitars, especially darker blues like a royal or navy.

If anyone knows of a Strat or Ibanez style double cutout guitar with a pretty blue body and a solid white stripe (or two) that is in the same price range and doesn't totally suck, I'd be happy to see it. SSS configuration is mildly preferred but I might be willing to forget about that if the guitar looks totally awesome.

Oh here's one that's pretty close.

This is cool too. I like the body and the tri-stripe a lot.

Any cheap beginner guitars that have that sort of look?
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Sep 2, 2013,
Typically the stripe is actually a strip of wood and denotes a set neck, which you would not get for budget money. I suggest getting a guitar that suits you and feels good then you add the stripe yourself.