Hi all ,

I just bought a new Greg Bennett Avion AV6 (Wine Red finish). After having a more closer look I am bit worried because the frets are corroded .. on some frets corrosion its severe! Also 1st two strings were a bit rusted. Also the fret board looks dusty.

My Questions :

1) Does this mean my guitar is from a way old stock or something else ?
2) Should I give it for replacement ? or can this be fixed ?
3) Does this happen often when we purchase a new electric guitar ?

I am adding the pics .. please go through and leave your comments .

It's very common. Happens to most guitars. Very easy fix.

A lot of people recommend using all sorts of specialized tools and stuff to take off the corrosion on the frets, but none of that is really necessary.

just take an extremely fine piece of sandpaper (something like 3000 grit) and rub them over the frets. Stop when the corrosion disappears. Don't worry, this will not affect the level of the frets because the layer of corrosion is usually so thin, it's pretty much immeasurable. The amount being removed is negligible.

If the fingerboard is dusty, take a clean rag and apply a very small amount of lighter fluid to the rag. Rub it into the fingerboard. Lighter fluid acts like a solvent in that it can dry the fingerboard out. So after you're done cleaning it, rub a very small amount of lemon oil or linseed oil into the fingerboard, let it soak in for 5 minutes, and wipe off the excess.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sounds like you need a new set of strings. It's pretty common that new guitars need new strings... I'm surprised the store didn't put on a new set for you. Shame on them.

Go to a hardware, automotive, or Walmart store (automotive section) and get some of this... take a hunk of wadding and go to work on your frets. It will also do a nice job of cleaning up the wood.. Do this when the strings are off. A can of this stuff will last you a lifetime.

Nice looking guitar, by the way. Congratulations!
If it were mine...
1. Pull the strings off
2. Use 0000 steel wool on the frets (protect the wood)
3. Wipe down the fretboard with a fretboard dressing oil of your choosing. (only do this 1-2x a year)
4. Restring
5. Play often until new strings are needed.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Replace the strings, wipe the board down with a slightly damp cloth and play the thing.
If you use steel wool make sure nd tape up ur pickups. The magnets will grab the fine metal hairs and you'll have a real hard time cleaning it up.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Do not use steel wool. Ignore anyone who recommends it.

Really? Just because you do not "approve" of the method, does not mean it should be "ignored".

Tape or a "fret guard" work just fine... also any steel wool that should get on the pups can be removed with tape (or just cover them prior too).
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
Last edited by Auriemma at Sep 3, 2013,
Quote by Auriemma
Really? Just because you do not "approve" of the method, does not mean it should be "ignored".

Tape or a "fret guard" work just fine... also any steel wool that should get on the pups can be removed with tape (or just cover them prior too).

That's not so much the problem. The problem is getting steel wool under the frets themselves, which is possible because the wool is so fine- even after taping over the fingerboard. You need to tape the fingerboard and the pickups over before you can even stat working on the guitar. There is no need for any of that with the far better alternatives of Nevr-dull or very high-grit sandpaper.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
That's not so much the problem. The problem is getting steel wool under the frets themselves, which is possible because the wool is so fine- even after taping over the fingerboard. You need to tape the fingerboard and the pickups over before you can even stat working on the guitar. There is no need for any of that with the far better alternatives of Nevr-dull or very high-grit sandpaper.

Nevr-Dull may be a good alternative, but in all my years of cleaning my own gear (and others), I have NEVER had steel wool get under my frets (which are pressed flush to the fretboard) or cause me any grief what so ever. I do not even tape the fretboards, a fret guard does just fine. A wipe with a damp cloth and the fretboard is clean. Occasionally a few fibers will get on the pups. A simple tape press and pull and its gone.

We agree to disagree.
--- Joe ---
Dirty is one thing. If thats the issue, wipe clean with a damp cloth and be done with it.

Corrosion is another. We use an abrasive (be it steel wool, sandpaper, Nevr-dull, etc.) to clean and polish the frets so that the strings slide easily over them.
--- Joe ---