Page 1 of 2
Just curious, sometimes I get an idea and I think "Hey that would make a good book" but then I never know how to flesh the idea out to fill 300-400 pages.

Or have any of you written a column for a magazine or website (besides UG)

Cheers
Yes, several.

You're welcome.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I've wrote a few short stories for school, none of them any good. Thinking of writing huge epic space thing which I need to decide if I want to split it into a series or not.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
i wrote a short story for Sophomore English. i ripped most of it off Fight Club and did it all the night before it was due.

it think i got a B.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
For school I wrote some short stories. I think they were pretty bad though. I had a ton of fun with some of them. I also got very bored last night and started writing. The only issue is... I don't write. Hell, I don't even read. It's a small challenge, but I may or may not overcome it.
Quote by bizkitday4eva
You know suicide is just as bad as killing yourself

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Quote by blake1221
I wrote Slaughterhouse Five.

NO OMG I DID u asuuuusuckkkkkkkkkkk
cat
I looked into building mind maps for my business a while back, and I noticed a lot of authors were using them to map out characters personalities and how they interact - I suspect if you do this, your story will start to write itself.

I'm thinking of putting a book together, but it's going to be based on interviews rather than fiction.
I teach guitar, so if you're in Uxbridge, United Kingdom and fancy brushing up, get in contact! Uxbridge Guitar Lessons
Quote by guitarxo
NO OMG I DID u asuuuusuckkkkkkkkkkk

you wrote trout fishing in America you wily old coot
I wrote a fantasy novel where Michael Owen fights crippling depression as well as 20ft mud monsters
Quote by blake1221
you wrote trout fishing in America you wily old coot

you know coot in tamil means like a type of food idk what but its a vegetable IM NOT A ****ING VEGETABLE BLAKE i ate it for dinner on staruday IM OT A VEGETABLE.

OR A MARSH BIRD

I AM NANDNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIii
cat
Yes. It was a story about a neglected friendship that turned into a murder mystery. I'm actually quite proud of it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 2, 2013,
Quote by guitarxo
you know coot in tamil means like a type of food idk what but its a vegetable IM NOT A ****ING VEGETABLE BLAKE i ate it for dinner on staruday IM OT A VEGETABLE.

OR A MARSH BIRD

I AM NANDNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIii

BLAKE1221. iT is a YELLOW VEGETATBEL. IM NT YELLOW IM BROWN OK.
cat
I ghost wrote all of ayn rand's books
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
I ghost wrote all of ayn rand's books

are you proud of yourself, bro?
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I started one last summer, a novel. It was going pretty well for 2, maybe 3 months, and then suddenly all inspiration for it faded. It was very disappointing.

In the relatively short time that I wrote, though, I reached 42.2k words.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I ghost wrote lolmnt's ghost writing.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Nope, still in the writing process at the moment. But I have a couple big ideas.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Always wanted to. But fiction, I realized, is a lot of work. Research, planning, revisions (which is the more grueling part). I enjoyed that in high school then getting a degree in English ruined that for me.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Slacker wrote the Bible.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
ew I don't like reading my old posts.

i have many brilliant ideas and I write them all down (basic plot and characters) but I've only bothered to turn one of them into a proper story and no one except me is ever going to read it.
cat
Colohue has written one. I have enough small work to fill an anthology, probably. I could also create a couple photo books.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Colohue has written one. I have enough small work to fill an anthology, probably. I could also create a couple photo books.

He's written two.
Quote by Todd Hart
Slacker wrote the Bible.

Ah, that explains it.

If he released his own version, it would be a hit.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
OH apart from actual books. I wrote a couple of editorials (about 15 i think) that got published on a local news/opinion site. under a psuedonym though.
cat
To rip my old post from The Creative Writing Thread, regarding the first novel I'm doing:

Quote by DonGlover
I'm all too excited about this story I'm writing. I finally worked up the courage to try writing a Southern Gothic, but it's become much more than that. It's like Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness meets Joseph Boyden's Three Day Road meets William Faulkner meets Cormac McCarthy meets Alejandro Jodorowsky (specifically Santa Sangre) meets... Hell, I don't even know. But I'm enthusiastic about writing for once in a long time. I think my writer's block has cleared for now.

This was followed by BladeSlinger expressing his excitement for it, based on that description.

It's gonna be a lot of work, because I've got to do a lot of research to do since this is a very dynamic story, to put it simply. It's partly historical fiction, and in the first half of the story it weaves back and forth between timelines. The "present" time, in which the majority of the story takes place is 1949, in Missouri. Early in the story, the protagonists recalls his arrest and time spent in Missouri State Penitentiary (1935), his release on September 16th, 1940, the day of the 1st United States draft registration for WWII (a bit of tragic coincidence/black humour), his time as an infantry soldier during WWII, and then coming home to the old empty house his father built in the Ozarks before he passed away.

Like I said, it'll switch back and forth between his flashbacks and to what he's doing in the "present" in the story. But once he's finished reminiscing about the past, the story moves forward from there, with no flashbacks for the remainder of the story. Not only are the flashbacks finished at that point, but the direction and pace of the story changes a lot as the main story arch begins. It's all first person-narrative, of course, and the story contains a lot of travel. I tend to include travel in my stories a lot without really doing it intentionally. I guess I'm just subconsciously projecting my own wanderlust.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by eGraham
Ah, that explains it.

If he released his own version, it would be a hit.

on his life?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Thought about it, but no. If I do, it'll likely be non-fiction. Something about a historical person or event, as I have a degree in history. That's the only sort of book I'd be interested in writing.
I have three seperate short stories i've been working on. Following 3 distinct storylines with a very slight connection between each. I have not named any of the 3 main heroes and have chosen take a page from the first Dark Tower book where Roland was referred to as only "The Gunslinger" throught the entire book.

The Thief: Young aged man (25 yrs in appearance) in the prime of his career but is becoming more and more tired of the constant secrecy and shadows. Willing to go to VERY great lengths to complete a job. Lured into a major job stealing from one of the most important building in their Kingdom in the hopes of retiring from the riches.

The Duelist: A very young duel ring fighter (16 yrs old) who fights for money in deadly duels. Father is an advisor to the King who greatly disapproves of his dueling. Calculating and cold despite his age and very formidable with a short blade. Dreams of being King of his own country someday.

The Magician: Middle aged man (40+) and former personal advisor to the King. Once powerful but stripped of most of his powers by a mysterious force while trying to unlock secret incantations and spells. Accused of treason for his attempts and banished now living a life detached from society trying to find ways to regain his power and take vengeance.
Knowledge is power
I just realised I didn't actually say. I've started writing a few separate novels - got a few chapters in in all cases - but honestly, I prefer writing short stories. There's something so much more concise and explicit about the short story, though novels can be more satisfying. For now, though, short stories are my focus.

Edit: Well, if I'm honest I also write more poetry than short stories, but writing poetry is just masturbation.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Sep 12, 2013,
Quote by DiminishedFifth
whoa whoa whoa whoa

you

where have you been! I feel like it's been forever

Uhmz everywhere.

I am over at the recording forum often.

I have this habit of jumping from forum to forum too gain maximum knowledge.

Tonight I'm in the pit so the rest of the forum seems more knowledgeable and thus gives me more motivation to go there.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by LostLegion
colohue has i think

Yup, and they are actually really good, in my opinion. Worth a read.

Here, indulge yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Deja-Vu-Chaos-Theory-ebook/dp/B008QP70S6

http://www.amazon.com/Disbelief-ebook/dp/B00B9125OS/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1379063696&sr=1-2
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Only my autobiography which is in all good shops, a perfect gift for someone this christmas.
Absolutely not. I started writing this generic fantasy nonsense in my high school, but I trashed it because it's rubbish. Ideas I try to flesh out into full stories generally turn into rubbish.
Page 1 of 2