Hi, I'm looking into to getting a small tube amp to use at home; it doesn't need to be bigger than 15 watts. It needs to be able to handle blues, classic rock, ska, and moderate distortion. It doesn't need any on board effects (I have effect pedals), but I wouldn't mind having reverb. I'm looking to spend around $300 to $350 ( I'm willing to buy used). I'll mainly be playing a Fender Lonestar Strat through this amp. So far, I've liked the Fender Blues Jr iii, the Fender Pro Jr iii, and the Fender Super Champ XD. Any suggestions?
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Fender Blues Jr, Vox AC15, where are you located?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
West Coast. Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Sep 2, 2013,
Quote by Robbin'TheHood

I'm guessing you don't want to disclose your location. Check your local craigslist for some amps and we could give you recommendations based on what's listed.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Well, my craigslist has always had a small selection when it comes to gear. I just checked and the amps listed are:

Fender Pro Junior (30 minute Drive)
CARVIN - SX300 3 CHANNEL 100 WATT COMBO AMP (Hour Drive)
Peavey Bandit (Hour Drive)
marshall valvestate combo amp (Hour Drive)
Peavey Classic 30 amp (Hour Drive)

But I also don't mind buying used off of websites like musicians friend or amazon.
Quote by space aids
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

Last edited by Robbin'TheHood at Sep 2, 2013,
^the fender and peavey classic would work well- never really heard that carvin but it could work.
you can get much better than a bandit or valvestae for what you play
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

If youre looking used have a look at the Hughes and Kettner Statesman series, might be just in your budget especially the lower powered ones, got one maybe 5 months ago and it has a really transparent drive channel and nails the classic/blues rock tones think SRV and Led Zeppelin for the higher gain tones, and little wing esque lower gain, and a mix between a fender and a vox clean, comes with reverb as well, hope this helps
Quote by Robbin'TheHood

If you are in or near the San Fernando Valley, try Jammin' Jersey http://www.jamminjersey.com/
AC15.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
It needs to be able to handle blues, classic rock, ska, and moderate distortion. It doesn't need any on board effects (I have effect pedals), but I wouldn't mind having reverb.
You described a Crate V15 or V16 Palomino (same amp.) 15 tube watts, reverb, master volume, bass/mid/treble knobs, and that's it. It sounds pretty good at lower volumes but it can get band-level loud. I got a V15 recently after avoiding Crates for decades and I am very impressed. It's small and it delivers. I love it.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Pro Jr and Blues Jr are both great. Both need to be opened up a little bit to sound their best. I don't particularly like the Blues Jr at lower volumes, but it does have a master volume which allows you to get a little bit of dirt at lower volumes, which I don't think that the Pro Jr has. I have a Superchamp XD for use around the house when I need to play at low volumes. That said, while I do think that it sounds good, it really is just a practice amp, I'm not sure that I'd really gig with it. If I were gigging, I would rather use something along the lines of a Pro Jr.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 3, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
so this modern distortion, it will be coming from your pedalboard.

I think it says moderate, not modern distortion. I thought it said that at first and was going to recommend a JCA20 Combo
Quote by barden1069
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
Hi, I'm looking into to getting a small tube amp to use at home; it doesn't need to be bigger than 15 watts. It needs to be able to handle blues, classic rock, ska, and moderate distortion. ... I wouldn't mind having reverb. I'm looking to spend around $300 to $350 ( I'm willing to buy used)....Any suggestions?

another option is a tweaker combo. they can be had for roughly 300-350 used, GC or MF etc... no reverb though, but it does have a loop.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
I think it says moderate, not modern distortion. I thought it said that at first and was going to recommend a JCA20 Combo

i actually think a JCA20RC would be a good rec.
would be half the budget.

a used ac-15 would slay though.

a used crate vintage club VC-1510 would work nicely too.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 3, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
another option is a tweaker combo. they can be had for roughly 300-350 used, GC or MF etc... no reverb though, but it does have a loop.

i actually think a JCA20RC would be a good rec.
would be half the budget.

a used ac-15 would slay though.

a used crate vintage club VC-1510 would work nicely too.

I've been looking at the Tweaker, are they as good as they look for that cheap? Or is there a catch? I seem to looking along the lines of the AC15, Blackstar Art15 of the tweaker.
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)