So, when I was sort of about 12, I got my first real electric guitar that I bought myself. I mean, I'd had a sort of £50 one before that my gran had got me years before, but this was my first "real" guitar. I bought it because, well, I was young, and it looked pretty awesome, haha. To a twelve year old.

It was a BC Rich Warbeast. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's essentially a mash up of the Beast and Warlock model (fun fact: the Warlock was designed on a napkin by a man in a small city in Scotland near where I live).

In the years since, it's lived on my wall, and I've not really thought about it. But I took it off the wall the other day, played it, and it sounded pretty shit.
I reckon it's pickups which are BSDM or BDSM depending on what site you read. But I'm not an expert. It could be the wood. It could be anything.

So I was wondering: is it worth ripping out the pickups and putting some lovely hot ones in? Or is the body fundamentally shit? I got the Warbeast One, the basic model.

Here are the specs: http://bcrich.com/models/guitars/Warbeast/Warbeast-1/92

Some of the other models had better pickups... Is it worth changing them? Cheers!!
how does it sound unplugged? that's normally the (not entirely foolproof) test.

also i wouldn't put too expensive pickups in there. I haven't tried them, but from what i hear, entwistle, irongear and axesrus own brand make pretty nice pickups on the cheap (so do tonerider allegedly, but their prices have gone up ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a newer Warlock and I think it's beautiful, but it really isn't that great. I am getting ready to sell it off or trade it in.

Honestly, I would try a string change first before I upgraded the pickups. I mean you just took it off the wall to play, right? Depending on the wood and bridge it might be fine or it might be crap. It all depends on what you are trying to get out of it. A pickups swap might make it just what you want, but then again it might not make it any better. I'd probably take it to a music store and see what they say. Also it's really difficult to try pickups before you buy them so I would be really sure of what you wanted before you got them. Takes a lot of research of the tons and tons of pickups available to find what you are looking for. It's also taste. "Bob" from down the street LOVES x brand y style pickups, while "Steve" thinks those are crap. It's all up to what you want.
Quote by Sparkopath
I have a newer Warlock and I think it's beautiful, but it really isn't that great. I am getting ready to sell it off or trade it in.

Honestly, I would try a string change first before I upgraded the pickups. I mean you just took it off the wall to play, right? Depending on the wood and bridge it might be fine or it might be crap. It all depends on what you are trying to get out of it. A pickups swap might make it just what you want, but then again it might not make it any better. I'd probably take it to a music store and see what they say. Also it's really difficult to try pickups before you buy them so I would be really sure of what you wanted before you got them. Takes a lot of research of the tons and tons of pickups available to find what you are looking for. It's also taste. "Bob" from down the street LOVES x brand y style pickups, while "Steve" thinks those are crap. It's all up to what you want.

I changed the strings about nine months ago, but I get your point. I actually used it in a part of my EP in the link below on the fifth track (shameless advertising) but it was through stupid amounts of gain and it never really registered how thin the pickups sounded.
Any pickup suggestions? Actives maybe?
Quote by Paddynbob
I changed the strings about nine months ago, but I get your point. I actually used it in a part of my EP in the link below on the fifth track (shameless advertising) but it was through stupid amounts of gain and it never really registered how thin the pickups sounded.
Any pickup suggestions? Actives maybe?

Is this your guitar?:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-warbeast-electric-guitar

I wouldn't spend a lot on actives to put into a guitar that's worth less than the pickups. Do you have a budget for a new guitar?
Quote by Blackfire.
Is this your guitar?:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/b.c.-rich-warbeast-electric-guitar

I wouldn't spend a lot on actives to put into a guitar that's worth less than the pickups. Do you have a budget for a new guitar?

It looks like it I think I put a link in the first post.

Not really... I don't know if I'm focussing my efforts on a new guitar right now. I'm more saving for an amp. But I was just playing with the idea of pimping this guitar
An amp might make a huge difference. I know I was unhappy with the sound of my guitars until I got a good amp.

Blackfire has a good point. Save your money for a better guitar with pickups you like as opposed to upgrading a guitar that won't sell for much even with new pickups. You may not be thinking about resale, but it is something to consider. There are threads on here about selling guitars with upgrades or returning the guitar to stock and everyone seems to say return it to stock and sell any upgrades separately.

On the other hand, if you never plan to sell the guitar, you could try pimping it, but it may not come out the way you want. Trying guitars is the best way to find one you like. Unfortunately, if you're like me and live in the middle of nowhere, it is difficult to try guitars that you have read reviews on, but can't find locally. I have been lusting after a Fender Blacktop with a Floyd Rose, but no one within 200 miles has one for me to try out. If that's the case, then make sure you buy from a company that will allow you to send it back if you hate it.

But in the mean time, I would suggests trying new strings, new amp (since you're planning on one anyway), maybe think about new pots, then possibly new pickups if nothing else works.
Quote by Sparkopath
An amp might make a huge difference. I know I was unhappy with the sound of my guitars until I got a good amp.

Blackfire has a good point. Save your money for a better guitar with pickups you like as opposed to upgrading a guitar that won't sell for much even with new pickups. You may not be thinking about resale, but it is something to consider. There are threads on here about selling guitars with upgrades or returning the guitar to stock and everyone seems to say return it to stock and sell any upgrades separately.

On the other hand, if you never plan to sell the guitar, you could try pimping it, but it may not come out the way you want. Trying guitars is the best way to find one you like. Unfortunately, if you're like me and live in the middle of nowhere, it is difficult to try guitars that you have read reviews on, but can't find locally. I have been lusting after a Fender Blacktop with a Floyd Rose, but no one within 200 miles has one for me to try out. If that's the case, then make sure you buy from a company that will allow you to send it back if you hate it.

But in the mean time, I would suggests trying new strings, new amp (since you're planning on one anyway), maybe think about new pots, then possibly new pickups if nothing else works.

It's not that there's a problem with my current amp; in fact I love it. It's just too big for moving to gigs. I don't think it would be worth selling on, haha