I want to play something like this (using a form of economy picking) without hammer ons
------------------------------------6-8-10-------------
---------------------------6-8-10----------------------
-------------------6-7-9-------------------------------
-----------5-7-8---------------------------------------
---5-7-8-----------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

Starting with a downstroke. Are there any exercises I can do to help me switch strings fluidly at the end of each triplet?
No. It's something you have to work on by doing it slowly and getting it right, not just by repeating an exercise.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
No. It's something you have to work on by doing it slowly and getting it right, not just by repeating an exercise.

That is just an example. I want to work on my string switching in general
Quote by kevinwb
That is just an example. I want to work on my string switching in general

My point stands: it's much more about how you practice than what you practice. Take a lick you want to learn and learn it, just make sure you're learning it right.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Reages
why not just alternate pick?

Because economy picking sounds different and lends itself to different licks. Why would you not want to learn more things anyway?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
try this...use this finger pattern below to get the feel of the triplet...go slow

when you feel comfortable with the rhythm ... then use different finger patterns...again go slow---use alternate and down stroke picking...see what feels more comfortable...on triplets-all down strokes may be more difficult

then..do string skipping ... i know seems simple but its the most basic movements that are the foundation for those 16th note speed runs...

--------------------------------567-------------
---------------------------567----------------------
-------------------567-------------------------------
----------- 567---------------------------------------
--------567------------------------------------------
---567------------------------------------------------------

play well

wolf
Last edited by wolflen at Sep 4, 2013,
Listen to Zaphod. He's pretty much jesus in this forum. Repeating exercises is pretty much pointless for the most part.