Hey all,

I have a Carvin Legacy 4x12 cab (16 ohm) with v30 speakers. The cab has an input jack, and an extension jack.

I really have no use for the extension jack, but I love thee cab and would much prefer it to be stereo (cross pattern for blending, I think).

Logically, I feel like I could do this modification no problem; but I'm not very competent with electronics, and I'm worried that I'll screw up something related to the ohms. I just want the regular input to be left, and convert the extension jack to be right.

Does anybody have time/experience to give me a little guidance to help improve my confidence and assure that I don't screw anything up? Also, if I need to purchase any extra components to make it happen, let me know that too.

Thanks!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Can you draw a diagram of the current wiring (and ohms rating of each speaker)? If it's wired in series-parallel like I think it is, you'll just need to clip one wire and add a jack (the cab's impedance will change though, unless you buy different speakers).

Either way, though, the mod will be easy.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Sep 2, 2013,
Quote by Invader Jim
Can you draw a diagram of the current wiring (and ohms rating of each speaker)? If it's wired in series-parallel like I think it is, you'll just need to clip one wire and add a jack (the cab's impedance will change though, unless you buy different speakers).

Either way, though, the mod will be easy.

Hmm its closed back- its supposed to have celestion v30s in it. Arent they 8 ohms each?
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Invader Jim
They are available in 8 or 16 ohms. Can't you just unscrew the back?

Oh! Okay, I didnt know that they came in 16 also. I'll open her up after work today and have a peek inside to confirm that and what the wiring looks like.

Thanks!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69

if it is a mono cab at 16 ohms then all the speakers are 16 ohms and the cab is wired in series/parallel to make a 16 ohm total load.

Are you running a stereo power amp/head into the cab?
Are you wanting to use 2 heads at a time with the cab?

These are the only reasons I would convert the cab to stereo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buy a cheap multimeter, they are great for testing if you've done a mod right.
If your current quad is 16ohm than the possibilities for a 4 speaker setup are as follows
4 4 4 4 connected in series
(16+16)(16+16) in series-parallel (Two pairs connected in series or parallel, them the two pairs wired together in the way the pairs are not.
They are the only two possibilities in reality (more can be had)

Therefore if you want to split them you can have either two 8 ohm sides or two 32ohm sides (take the 8)

Now you want to wire the two sides in parallel, that is, with the two (-) connected with the sockets sleeve, and the two (+) wired with the sockets tip
THIS IS ONE FANTASTIC POST

HAHA, YOU LOOKED
Quote by Robbgnarly
if it is a mono cab at 16 ohms then all the speakers are 16 ohms and the cab is wired in series/parallel to make a 16 ohm total load.

Are you running a stereo power amp/head into the cab?
Are you wanting to use 2 heads at a time with the cab?

These are the only reasons I would convert the cab to stereo.

I am wanting to run two heads through the cab.

And sorry guys, I didnt have a chance to open it up. I had a horribly busy day. But I appreciate all of the help! I will keep you all posted.

Thanks
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss

Quote by wannabestoner69