Page 1 of 2
Why is COD held in such low regard for repeating a formula with small changes whilst the Pokemon games are put on a pedestal and praised for doing the same thing? Discuss.

Because the idea of Pokemon is essentially collecting Pokemon. The idea of CoD is a lame campaign and map packs for multiplayer.
Quote by Joshwalad
Why is COD held in such low regard for repeating a formula with small changes whilst the Pokemon games are put on a pedestal and praised for doing the same thing? Discuss.

Well CoD is an FPS, among several other FPS games out there. I assume players want CoD to evolve with the times more. I'm content with the way it is, especially Blops 2.

Pokemon, however, was very unique when it first came out. Nintendo prob makes like more than 50% of its gross sales solely from Pokemon games, so changing something that brings in da ca$h isn't exactly on Nintendo's to do list.

EDIT: I think most of the hate from CoD's static gameplay came from MW3, which was essentially a $60 add-on to MW2.
Last edited by Skullivan at Sep 2, 2013,
Because there's a lot more to Pokemon than there is to CoD. Such is the norm when comparing a FPS to an RPG.

CoD is a quick game you can fire up and play multiple rounds of in just an hour or two, with little to no focus put on the campaign. They make a few new maps, maybe introduce a new mechanic, and whammo, you've got a game you can pretty much release every year and make an easy buck on, because CoD players will want to keep up with the rest of the online players.

Pokemon is also a multiplayer game (an incredibly deep one, at that. I still don't fully understand everything about competitive play), but the difference is Game Freak puts a ton of emphasis on the campaign. Hell, the campaign is almost the entire game.

If you buy into Pokemon as a game, it becomes more than just pixels throwing more pixels at each other. It's an adventure. There's tons of room for exploring, it's fun to find your favorite monsters and which ones are the best, and the amount of creativity that goes into every new game is massive. I will say that Pokemon Black/White 2 were the least creative in the series, but Game Freak can get away with that a little easier due to the games being portable and only 30-40 bucks compared to $60 CoD games.

I'm not saying that CoD is bad, but I think the amount of work and love that goes into both franchises is very different.

I'm incredibly biased, though.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Sep 2, 2013,
If you have sex 12 times a night with a supermodel then you won't be complaining about how often you're getting laid.

If you have sex 12 times a night with Susan Boyle then you will.

This is why Pokemon is better than CoD.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Pokemon doesn't come out every year. At a glance Pokemon has more depth and it does.

COD is just a go to game when people want to shoot avatars of other people to see who can get the most points.
Both suck. If I wanna play pokemon i'll just boot up an emulator of silver version. Pokemon started to go out the window after 2nd generation anyways.
Idk, neither really deserve their attention imo.

I guess if I were to give an answer, it would be because with cod, it's entire focus is on competitive multiplayer. So most of the time, you're only having fun if you're winning. Whereas with pokemon, it has its own system and form of entertainment. Albeit repetitive, it's still enjoyable.

I guess. I've never played any pokemon game since pokemon blue so I don't entirely know what I'm talking about here.
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Sep 2, 2013,
Because Call of Duty releases a new game every year with little upgrade and it also exists in a sea of other generic first-person shooters.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by captainsnazz

Actually TS, the general opinion is that all the pokemon games with more than 151 pokemon were shite anyway.

And those people are missing out on the best games in the series because of that.

You want shite? Play Red and Blue. If not for nostalgia there would be absolutely no reason to play such outdated and nearly broken games.
Gold/Silver/Crystal master race reporting in
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Because when I play Pokemon, I don't have kids who are half my age screaming at me and calling me a gay ****** cum guzzling homo ****** lord.

Quote by Rockford_rocks
And those people are missing out on the best games in the series because of that.

You want shite? Play Red and Blue. If not for nostalgia there would be absolutely no reason to play such outdated and nearly broken games.

Also this. I've yet to play the Gen V games, but I think Platinum might be my favorite Pokemon game.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by captainsnazz

Actually TS, the general opinion is that all the pokemon games with more than 151 pokemon were shite anyway.

Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold, Soul Silver, Black and White are all much better games than Red, Blue or Yellow were.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by muffinduck01
Because when I play Pokemon, I don't have kids who are half my age screaming at me and calling me a gay ****** cum guzzling homo ****** lord.

Also this. I've yet to play the Gen V games, but I think Platinum might be my favorite Pokemon game.

Top part is true, and kind of ironic because you'd think Pokemon would probably be the game where you'd get yelled at by ten year-olds

Gen V is my personal favorite, but if you can somehow look at Gen IV (Platinum, HG/SS, not D/P) and Gen I side-by-side and say Gen I is better I have no idea what the **** is wrong with you
Quote by Rockford_rocks

shotsfired

Quote by MinterMan22
shotsfired

sorry meant to say #killconfirmed

Quote by captainsnazz
Jesus wept.

You feel however you want. I've played them all, you're the one missing out by calling the new games inferior.

It's like preferring to do your work on a 1980's Macintosh
Quote by Todd Hart
If you have sex 12 times a night with a supermodel then you won't be complaining about how often you're getting laid.

If you have sex 12 times a night with Susan Boyle then you will.

This is why Pokemon is better than CoD.

10/10

best analogy ever.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Only need to play Pokemon Blue. Only need to play CoD 4.

Everything else is #leaveit
Quote by willT08
Only need to play Pokemon Blue. Only need to play CoD 4.

Everything else is #leaveit

so everyone should move on from real instruments, but you won't move on from outdated games?

lol
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by captainsnazz

Pokemon Emerald was the best Pokemon game.

Wat up?
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
so everyone should move on from real instruments, but you won't move on from outdated games?

lol

CoD4 definitely hasn't been outdated by any of the newer games considering that they're all just CoD4+whatever they fancied that year.

And Pokemon's pokemon. You run around, you catch them, you fight them.

Also, games aren't important so you can afford to be silly with them.
Quote by willT08
CoD4 definitely hasn't been outdated by any of the newer games considering that they're all just CoD4+whatever they fancied that year.

And Pokemon's pokemon. You run around, you catch them, you fight them.

Also, games aren't important so you can afford to be silly with them.

i hear the COD sentiment.

but for real tho, i still have a copy of Pokemon Yellow and it's shit compared to Soul Silver or just regular Silver.

i'm definitely buying X or Y next month.
Because Pokemon does not contain 12-year olds screaming "Fuck you you fucking faggot motherfucker I powned you bitch you got raped and shit"
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
Because Pokemon does not contain 12-year olds screaming "Fuck you you fucking faggot motherfucker I powned you bitch you got raped and shit"

That shit doesn't even bother me.

However, the part where the 8 year old goes around calling everybody a "kid", now THAT is infuriating.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
battlefield 4 just looks like battlefield 3 but with prettier graphics, new maps, and slightly altered perks. discuss
I feel like the pokemon game has to be more thought out since it doesn't have nearly as much online appeal as call of duty

they can get away with more since multiplayer just needs to be facilitated well to be fun
Because Pokemon is actually fun.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
people who defend the newer pokemon games are weirdos who play competitively

um....

no?
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
people who defend the newer pokemon games are weirdos who play competitively

everything after generation 3 sucks sorry bye

I don't play competitively. Generation 4-5 are the best yet and 6 will likely be better.

Every generation the graphics improve, the map design improves, the mechanics improve. Hell, lately even the story improves. Even if you don't like the Pokemon design you can trade in older Pokemon to use or only catch older Pokemon in the wild (with Black/White being the exception). There is literally no reason other than nostalgia that you could consider the older games as better.
Essentially it's because CoD is an absolutely abysmal cash-cow being milked into oblivion and back again courtesy of Kotick and his crew by using cheap marketing strategies and taking advantage of shallow fanboism, whilst absolutely nothing is ever done to bring a game that has literally never offered anything other than a half-baked effort that utterly neglects to keep up to what its competitors are doing; all of which culminates in a community of people less desirable than those found in a council estate pub on dole night. At least Pokemon has something going for it.
I think they're both crappy.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 2