Hey guys. I recently got a used Ibanez RG321MH, valued a $300 guitar. The finish on it is kinda hurting. My friend and I have decided to cover it completely in stickers, so that no more of the ugly grey cigarette burnt paint is showing. My goal is for it to look like the stickers are inlay-ed and so that they don't fade or peel. Here is our plan of attack:

-Completely dissembling the guitar, separating the neck from the body and removing the electronics to leave only the shell.

-Take chrome pieces that surround pickups and all screws (also with sub- par finish) off, stripping all remaining finish off, and painting them a florescent green, then spraying them with a polyurethane high gloss clear coat lacquer.

-Covering the entire guitar, save the neck, completely in stickers of all kinds.

-Spraying thin coats on in 20 minute intervals. Roughly forty coats. I had heard that it would be better to put some stickers on, then lacquer, then more stickers, then lacquer, and repeat. Is that the best plan of attack, or should we do it all in one fowl swoop?

-Reassembling the guitar, putting better, aftermarket pickups on it, and putting D'addario strings on. I also purchased pink strat tone and volume knobs for it (as a tribute to Mark Hoppus (I know, I'm a fanboy)). Then, of course, doing a whole setup to get the guitar working as well as it looks.

I was considering:

-Since I ordered higher quality tuning pegs, applying the green florescent paint to the old tuning pegs and coating them with lacquer. If this looks good, I'll do it to both sets and use it like that. My question is: Is this ugly, and will it take away from the sound of the guitar?

- I was also considering taking off the bridge and spray painting that florescent green and lacquering over it, just for an accent. Again, I'm wondering if this will be ugly or tone inhibiting.

Is there anything you can suggest to me, as far as procedures and what to do/ what not to do? Thank you for your time.
What pickups are you thinking of putting in it?
Quote by ThatWackKid

-Since I ordered higher quality tuning pegs, applying the green florescent paint to the old tuning pegs and coating them with lacquer. If this looks good, I'll do it to both sets and use it like that. My question is: Is this ugly,

Depends if you like it. I think it would look hideous though.
and will it take away from the sound of the guitar?

No. Think about it. just about every single guitar that exists have machine heads on them that are finished. Be it gold, chrome, and some are even just painted black.
- I was also considering taking off the bridge and spray painting that florescent green and lacquering over it, just for an accent. Again, I'm wondering if this will be ugly or tone inhibiting.

Read above. It would look utterly hideous though.
Is there anything you can suggest to me, as far as procedures and what to do/ what not to do? Thank you for your time.

Depends on what you're choosing to do with it specifically.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Don't over spray or it will just run, and when it runs it is just a mess. I'm the master of over spraying. Sticker idea is pretty cool, I thought about making a guitar and getting my sister to hand paint it but I never did.

I very much doubt spraying the hardware will work/affect the tone. Who knows though? It may be the secret ingredient to a better tone.
If I were going to do some crazy colors on hardware, I would look into powder coating instead of painting.