Hello,

I own a VOX VT80+ that I play a Agile AL-3000 through. I have recently been trying to acquire a tone that is similar to Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys. In my searches, I happened upon a bit of information that said that Dan has used a Russian Big Muff at points in his career, and that a Electro Harmonix Bass Big Muff is a good substitute. However, I am unsure if I can run a pedal like the Electro Harmonix Bass Big Muff with a solid state amp like the Vt80+. Do you guys think that this pedal will work with my amp? As of right now I am unable to afford a tube amp.
Electro Harmonix is the original maker of the Big Muff.
They made the Russian Big Muff.
Although the Russian is an older version than the currently available (new) one.

EVERYTHING you may have ever wanted to know about Big Muff can be found here:
http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

Three isn't a more comprehensive site for the Big Muff ANYWHERE on the internet.

Generally most modeling amps don't take dirt pedals well.
The valvetronix amps do take them fairly well though.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 2, 2013,
Bass Big Muff is an okay substitute for a Russian Muff, however for the price of a new Bass Big Muff, you can pretty much buy a Russian one on ebay.

And you can run any pedal into a solid state amp like you would a tube amp. It may not sound as good, but you already knew that.
Quote by myleprod
Hello,

I own a VOX VT80+ that I play a Agile AL-3000 through. I have recently been trying to acquire a tone that is similar to Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys. In my searches, I happened upon a bit of information that said that Dan has used a Russian Big Muff at points in his career, and that a Electro Harmonix Bass Big Muff is a good substitute. However, I am unsure if I can run a pedal like the Electro Harmonix Bass Big Muff with a solid state amp like the Vt80+. Do you guys think that this pedal will work with my amp? As of right now I am unable to afford a tube amp.

if you can afford it, try and find a used earthquaker devices hoof. it's a hybrid russian muff that dan uses/has used. brilliant for his tones.
Quote by myleprod
Thank you for the info.

No problem. I'm something of a Big Muff fanatic.

I have owned no less than 6 different versions of Big Muff. And tried quite a few more.