Hey guys,

I'm just wondering what it would cost to let an amp get modified. I would like to know what it cost to add an mp3 line in into a Fender Super Champ xd, BJ III, Super Champ x2, etc. it would make that amps perfect for practicing at home!

Thoughts? Worth the cost?
i would say it's not worth the cost, mainly because most people already have a stereo or computer speakers that would sound better than a line-in on a guitar amp (as guitar amps are not designed for hi-fi applications at all).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
i would say it's not worth the cost, mainly because most people already have a stereo or computer speakers that would sound better than a line-in on a guitar amp (as guitar amps are not designed for hi-fi applications at all).

Yeah true. I own a Blackstar HT 5R now, with mp3 line in. I always plug my Boss BR800 into the amp and practice over backing tracks, use my metronome, etc. I would love to have a low W Fender or Vox with that option.
Quote by GuitarL91
What would it cost?

He just said that it's not worth the cost. Seriously you'd probably be better off just getting some powered speakers that can match your amp in volume if you want to play along with other music.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
The cost depends on who you find to do it. The circuit has to be designed. So if you are paying market price for it then it could be thousands. But if it's a hobbyist who does it for fun it could be a six pack of beer.

Guitar amps use speakers that will make a backing track sound muffled. So even a properly designed circuit will sound bad. I think an amp like the SCXD has a fuller range speaker so that it can get the multifx voicing. The Acoustisonic amp voicing is capable of reproducing a backing track much better than my Pro Jr was. I have a GNX4, which has a midi drum machine, 8 track recorder, and midi drum machine. It is capable of revealing the pitfalls of using a guitar amp when trying to play a full range tone like an MP3. IMO the SCXD with the Acoustisonic model is better than your typical tube amp for this.

Bottom line... if you want an MP3 input on your amp, buy an amp with one.
Quote by GuitarL91
What would it cost?

as fly mentioned: it depends completely on who you get to do it, the design of the original circuit, and how you want it implemented.

it's really hard to say.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae