Hey guys
I have the option to pick up a JCM 800 2203 from 1984 for 720 dollars, and I'm wondering if I can get it to suit my needs.
I play an ESP Eclipse with active EMG 60/81. I plan to run the amp through a 1960a cab (not set in stone), and possibly through a TS-9 (also not set in stone).
I play Metallica, A7X, Bullet For My Valentine, Revulation Theory and so on. Would I be able to archieve that level of distortion on a JCM 800?
Could it also be done without the volume killing everyone in site (hot-plate?)?
Thanks
Quote by Foldageren
Hey guys
I have the option to pick up a JCM 800 2203 from 1984 for 720 dollars, and I'm wondering if I can get it to suit my needs.
I play an ESP Eclipse with active EMG 60/81. I plan to run the amp through a 1960a cab (not set in stone), and possibly through a TS-9 (also not set in stone).
I play Metallica, A7X, Bullet For My Valentine, Revulation Theory and so on. Would I be able to archieve that level of distortion on a JCM 800?
Could it also be done without the volume killing everyone in site (hot-plate?)?
Thanks

You can get early Metallica with a TS as a boost, but it will not do BFMV, A7X type stuff it is too modern sounding.

For BFMV or A7X you want a modern style amp like a 5150/6505 or a Jet City JCA 50/100/100hdm on the cheap (Zacky V uses a JCA100)

You might get away with using a Marshall JCM2000 DSL or TSL. They have a more modern channel, but will need a TS to tighten it up a bit.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Foldageren
Couldn't I just throw a pedal on it for modern sounds?

The JCM800 is not really voiced for modern music. Yes you can throw a pedal in front, but I still don't know if you would be happy with it

Go try it out and throw some pedals on it to see if you like it. It maybe fine for you, but I personally would not get one for those styles. The JCM800 is a great 80's rock/metal amp(with a boost)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^Didn't Gates from A7x say that they're using 800s in 2009? I haven't really following A7x for a while so I'm not sure if they're still doing that. Bullet is down the 6505 alley though. I say go for it because you're never gonna get "the" amp that can perfectly pull off every band you like...and the 800 is quite the beast. Gonna def need a boost to tighten it up.
So it couldn't do modern tones perfectly, but could it get the job done reasonably?
Quote by Foldageren
So it couldn't do modern tones perfectly, but could it get the job done reasonably?

That is up to you to decide. Like I said I would not get a JCM800 for what you want.

But it seems that you want a JCM800 and are dead set on it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by UnmagicMushroom
^Didn't Gates from A7x say that they're using 800s in 2009? I haven't really following A7x for a while so I'm not sure if they're still doing that. Bullet is down the 6505 alley though. I say go for it because you're never gonna get "the" amp that can perfectly pull off every band you like...and the 800 is quite the beast. Gonna def need a boost to tighten it up.

I remember them using 900s but not 800s
I'm a bit set on it because it's affordable and close to me. Ideally I'd probably want a rectifier, but Id have to pay around 2000 bucks for a used one, so I figure the JCM 800 would be a good compromise.
Quote by UnmagicMushroom

Gates used the JCM800 and has started using Schecters new Hellraiser amps now. IMO a JCM800 with a boost pedal (TS9) really is a great iconic sound. I don't think you'd be too miffed by not being able to dial in the standard 6505 when you've got this thick crunch mofo.
Quote by Foldageren
I'm a bit set on it because it's affordable and close to me. Ideally I'd probably want a rectifier, but Id have to pay around 2000 bucks for a used one, so I figure the JCM 800 would be a good compromise.

May I throw out a suggestion then? A JCM900 SL-X. The SL-X part is important because the others are shit. It's Marshall's answer to the rectifier kinda sorta.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
I think Zakk Wylde or Mastodon when I think of a boosted JCM800. It's either that or the sort of modern alternative rock/punk sound plugged straight in. It might be more thick and midrangey rather than percussive and cutting, but it's all up to you whether you like that or not.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
They don't have it here in Denmark, the JCM900 SL-X (not new nor used).
I like Zakk Wylde's sound, that's pretty good. I'd like it to be a bit more gainy with compression, but again, can't you fix that with pedals?
No offense, but we're going to spin a lot of wheels going round and round like this.

We really would appreciate a format more like this:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

You can update your OP with this info if you like. I mean the 800 is a killer amp but I wouldn't buy one for BFMV. The 800 has a more vintage feel. You can't fix that with pedals. A Peavey 6505+112 or maybe a Peavey Vypyr 60 would be better.
I didnt really intend for this to be an open discussion about amp-selection, but more of a "can this get the job done" type of qustionaire. I really just want to know where the limits of the JCM 800 is metal-wise. Could it for instance do Modern Metallica, but not BFMV. Info like that.
It's not really the right amp for that sort of sound. The limits of what it can do gain-wise depends on what pedal you put in front of it. But it will never be like a Rectifier or a 5150. The 800 is too bright and boxy-sounding compared to the dark, high-gain aforementioned.

The most I've ever heard an 800 sound like a 5150 is in Slayer's Reign In Blood. It's an 800 that is heavily boosted along with a 10-band EQ set with scooped mids. And it still doesn't sound right.

It is THE amp to use for old-school Metallica and Slayer though.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 3, 2013,
Quote by Foldageren
I didnt really intend for this to be an open discussion about amp-selection, but more of a "can this get the job done" type of qustionaire. I really just want to know where the limits of the JCM 800 is metal-wise. Could it for instance do Modern Metallica, but not BFMV. Info like that.

With a boost, the JCM800 will do Grunge, 80's metal and some early 1990's metal. Anything other than that and I'd pass on it. Yes it is a good amp, but IMO the wrong amp for what you need.

But fill out the answers to the link 311 posted and you will be better off.

Modern Metallica is a Mesa Mark series
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 3, 2013,
Quote by Foldageren
They don't have it here in Denmark, the JCM900 SL-X (not new nor used).
I like Zakk Wylde's sound, that's pretty good. I'd like it to be a bit more gainy with compression, but again, can't you fix that with pedals?

There is an used SL-X(2500) for very cheap for sale http://www.dba.dk/guitartop-marshall-2500-5/id-1001418395/
For a little extra you could also get a 2x12 cab with Vintage 30s in it. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Nice to see a fellow Dane here
Both members of Avenged Sevenfold used them
Dan Jacobs of Atreyu used them
Lee Malia of Bring Me the Horizon uses them
Both members of Slayer use them
Zakk Wylde uses them

None of the modern guitarists I listed started with them though. They used much higher gain amps to start and they just fell in love with the JCM800 one day. Most people don't think of a JCM800 for metal, you might like if you try it. It's not the go-to metal amp but it can sound good and some people like it. I think using a JCM800 for metal is a very personal decision. You also don't need massive amounts of gain for metal. When you turn your amp up, less gain is needed for it to sound really aggressive and huge.
WhineX Thanks, I didn't notice it! Again, good to see a fellow dane

By the way, I think I saw that Daron fro SOAD used the JCM 800 at one point as well, can anyone confirm that?
I wouldn't buy an amp whose tone I don't like and then start shaping it. I would like it to sound as close to the sound I'm looking for as possible. If it sounds nothing like the tones you are looking for on its own, don't buy it.

I know Marshall JCM800 is a legendary amp that looks cool but don't buy it just for the looks. Are there any other tones you are looking for? Are you going to play any lower gain/less "modern" sounding stuff than what you listed?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I went out and tried a few amps today. I must admit, I wasn't a big fan of the 6505. I also tried a mini-rectifier, and oh my god. That was the shit. It was so versatile and easy, and played so loud in comparrison to it's size. It also didnt need any pedals. I loved it. Anyone got any thoughts on the mini-rec, also in comparison to a big dual rectifier?
Quote by Foldageren
I went out and tried a few amps today. I must admit, I wasn't a big fan of the 6505. I also tried a mini-rectifier, and oh my god. That was the shit. It was so versatile and easy, and played so loud in comparrison to it's size. It also didnt need any pedals. I loved it. Anyone got any thoughts on the mini-rec, also in comparison to a big dual rectifier?

It's a good piece of gear, generally well regarded.

But here's the CRITICAL thing about it.

YOU liked it!

And since it's your tone, it's your call. Buy it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Foldageren

I've not played the mini-rec, but I've played several dual recs & triple recs (which I believe are basically the same, just the triple has more power). It's almost impossible to get a bad sound out of a dual rec. Even at low volume, it's very thick & smooth IMO, & you can get a lot of different sounds from it. I also agree it needs no pedals to sound awesome. Myself, I prefer a bit more articulation that the rectifiers just don't get, but that's why I own different amps. The main thing is, as Arby said, YOU like it!! A good amp should make you warm & fuzzy every time you play it!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Foldageren

Well get a used single recto for $700+

I have heard good things about the mini recto except its volume in a band level, get a single recto
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Splawn

yep, and if your broke, Krank 1980 is the best Splawn alternative there is ($600+ for the head)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Only problen is, the mini rectifier is 1800 dollars in Denmark.. :/
Not to mention the cab, which is 900 bucks.. And I can't find a used one :/
Out of the JCM800 and 900 I would go for the 800, that price is pretty good for a 2203, and a 900 still won't be able to do the stuff you play. However you would need a completely different sounding distortion pedal for it like Wampler Triple Wreck or Bogner Uberschall to archive what you want.

Bring it to a tech and chuck some KT77 power tubes in it, that would bring you a bit closer to what you need as well.

Anyway I 2nd the Jet City recommendation, they will basically do what you need and most importantly they are cheap.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
What do you guys think of the Orange Dark Terror amp? I haven't had a chance to play it, but it's 1/3rd the price of the Mini-Rectifier (which is hugely overpriced in Denmark) - can it compare?
The OR15 is IMO the best small orange being made. It will do everything that the other terror amps can, low-gain to high-gain and it sounds better doing it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Foldageren
What do you guys think of the Orange Dark Terror amp? I haven't had a chance to play it, but it's 1/3rd the price of the Mini-Rectifier (which is hugely overpriced in Denmark) - can it compare?

Won't really do what you want. The EQ design is not very versatile, I found that it's only good for thrash metal.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115