I am curious what the rest of you do for practice. Do you structure it, or just practice whatever you feel like when you pick up the guitar. I am an intermediatte player looking to get a lot better and I want some advice. My basic split is something like this right now:

Finger Exercises - 10 min
Scales - 10 min
New Songs: 15 min
Music Theory: 15 min
Improvising/song writing: 10 min
New techniques/skills: 10 min (Right now it's tuning completely by ear, screw the 5th fret method)

What do you guys think? Long enough? Too short? I'd like to get some advice on scales too. How should I practice them? Just going up and down or should I play over backing tracks? I find the music theory part overwhelming right now to be honest. You find backing tracks for the key of cmajor and I have no idea what scales I should be playing over that. Is it just as simple as playing the c major or minor pentatonic scale over it? Thanks guys!
normally you can either play the scale the chord progression is in (so, as you said, C major or C major pentatonic if you've found a backing track for the key of C major) assuming it's a fairly standard diatonic chord progression, or the arguably more advanced way is to target chord tones and/or the scales or modes inherent in those chords- so if you have a progression which is, say, E minor, G Major, C major, D Major you would play E minor (or E minor pentatonic) over the E minor chord, G major (or G major pentatonic) over the G Major chord, C Lydian (I think, don't quote me on that ; C major pentatonic would also work ) over the C Major chord and D Mixolydian (again, don't quote me on that; D major pentatonic should also work) over the D major chord.

It's worth bearing in mind, though, that with any luck, using the first method (especially if you use your ears) will often have you targeting the chord tones of the later chords, anyway. All the root notes of the later chords (G, C and D) are in E minor, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 3, 2013,
Its a bit short for me personally, I do an hour of finger exercises, 30 minute chord work, 30 minute repertoire and an hour doing whatever I feel like that day. That just the weekdays, at the weekend I bump my practice up to between 4 and 5 hours.
Lifes too short to be pissing around 1 hour a day in my opinion.
Quote by The Dimery
Its a bit short for me personally, I do an hour of finger exercises, 30 minute chord work, 30 minute repertoire and an hour doing whatever I feel like that day. That just the weekdays, at the weekend I bump my practice up to between 4 and 5 hours.

25 hours a week is basically a part time job!

When I started I did unstructured practice as much as I could (maybe a few hours a day) Now I'm lucky if I play an hour a day, which is mostly just sweeps and shred occasionally a solo/song.
^ i still don't do structured practice (a cynic would say it shows)

If you can hack it, then obviously (to a certain extent) structured practice is better, but playing at all is better than nothing, especially if it keeps you interested. I mean I still love guitar as much as the day I started, and there's something to be said for that.

Quote by The Dimery

interesting way you're looking at that

you could make the exact same argument the other way, that life's too short to spend an hour a day on finger exercises
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

interesting way you're looking at that

you could make the exact same argument the other way, that life's too short to spend an hour a day on finger exercises

Yes I was aware of that as I wrote it! I meant in my life, and for the things I want to achieve in my playing, an hour a day isn't enough.
^ yeah i know what you meant, I just thought it was funny
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for the things I want to achieve in my playing, an hour a day isn't enough.

Brilliant!

That is it in a nutshell. Everyone's practice routine is going to be different. If you can identify what it is you want to achieve with your practicing, you have won over half the battle.