Poll Options
View poll results: need or want
NEED
16 62%
WANT
10 38%
Voters: 26.
inb4 no versus thread hurrrrr

okay so im in college and im wondering what you guys do in a time of want vs need. for example, I NEED to read about 30 pages for my Latin American Politics class, but I don't *have* to read for my Communications class. My l.a politics class grade depends on my reading, but my comm class depends on my presentations and outlines, although she still assigns some reading.

my question is, do you focus on the stuff you NEED to do rather than the stuff you WANT (or at the very least don't need to, but could help) or do you focus on both equally? I tend to focus more on the reading for my politics class because my grade actually depends on it. I couldn't care less about the reading for my comm class cause im not going to be tested on it so who cares? Id rather focus my time and energy over the material im actually going to be graded on. what about you guys
pinga
I'm wondering when you're going get off the internet and start doing your homework

and yes, this is your mother speaking
when i was in college i went between the lines, i needed to go to work but wanted to get high.

it's all about finding the middle ground
song stuck in my head today

I always go by need. But it depends on the situation. Like if I need to buy food over an electronic then I go by need but if it's a want to have fun or need to study then I go by want which is really bad. :\
L0ol at 4 year lib arts fags lol good luck finding a job. The only homework I have is a couple 10 pages to read and do some worksheets.
I don't think I've done more than one assigned reading for school in the last year. Hasn't failed me yet.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Honestly, I just try and find the middle ground.

For instance, if I have a lot of coursework to get done, then I'll buckle down and do it, with no distractions. However, if I only have a little bit, then I'll work out a system. Like, in between every round of BF3, I'll work a few problems out, or something to that effect.
willpower and self control
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by FearMyLightning
L0ol at 4 year lib arts fags lol good luck finding a job. The only homework I have is a couple 10 pages to read and do some worksheets.

im a business major, bitch

Quote by WCPhils
I don't think I've done more than one assigned reading for school in the last year. Hasn't failed me yet.

I normally don't read but the politics class is an online course, so if you don't read, its the equivalent of never being in class, and id fail for sure

but I never read for my English classes lol, fuq dat
pinga
I need to read my physio textbook.

I want to read my physio textbook.

I need to write my soci essay.

I want to write my soci essay.

I need to go to work.

I don't want to go to work but I have to go today so I can tell them I'm quitting, which is something I want to do.

If i dont want to do something that I need to do I find something that will make me want to do it and it usually works out
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Sep 3, 2013,
Quote by lbc_sublime
when i was in college i went between the lines, i needed to go to work but wanted to get high.

it's all about finding the middle ground

Sooooo, you went to work high?
I care about none of it tbh.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Want. I wanted to do my chemistry work (though I needed to do it to but I actually wanted to) but I didn't give two shits about a single one of my gen-ed classes which I 'needed' to read or study for.

As long as your 'want' is in your major and you get good enough grades to off set the GPA skew then you'll be fine. Anyone else who tells you otherwise didn't have a 2.5 GPA and didn't land a job working as a R&D Tech for a major coating company.

If you didn't figure it out I had a 2.5, graduated, and am now gainfully employed utilizing my degree.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
In that situation, I would make a thread on UG, which accomplishes neither and leaves me sufficiently panicked to finish both due to the adrenaline of not being able to finish either.
-The Crimson Fucker, aka PonyFan #376121
I want to smoke a spliff.

I need to find a drug dealer.
Listen. I'm sorry.
i don't want or need anything anymore
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

My needs and wants are mutually exclusive.

I'm a professional crastinator, and always choosing to do what I want rather than need has led to me failing my degree. Don't be like me. Pls.