Really, that's all you'll need for 99% of rock/metal. Three Chords And The Truth (tm), my friend. Besides, with any gain, anything more complex than a powerchord will sound muddy and incoherent, which is why we use them so much in the first place. The trick is in using them effectively to make riffs.

And this goes in Musician Talk.
thanks. I feel like my riffs sound too similar and sometimes I hear other people playing riffs that have a sound that I hear in like metal songs or punk songs that my riffs never sound like. maybe it's different tunings.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Really, any chord can work.

You just gotta EQ your guitar properly

This. Any chord that can sound good in any other genre can also be used effectively in a rock or metal context.
Quote by Cavalcade
Really, that's all you'll need for 99% of rock/metal. Three Chords And The Truth (tm), my friend. Besides, with any gain, anything more complex than a powerchord will sound muddy and incoherent

i couldnt disagree more. like the others said, if you EQ your rig right, youll be fine. but honestly, as a progressive metal writer, i rarely use power chords anymore.

check out this tab of mine. i use a lot of unconventional chords in it

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1610763&highlight=yay%21+more+prog