As the title says I want to get that candy style metal sound when I improvise. I have no idea where to look scale wise for that kind of sound. I am looking for something along the lines of an cafe in terms of that candy sweet tone.

an example of that tone.

I guess jazz related scales?
1) I love "Welcome to the NHK"
2) Japanese visual kei rock is the evolution and combination of western influences of rock, jazz, and enka music. I'm sure there's more, but I think looking into that might help? If you want to understand Bou, there is tons of enka in his sound!
Quote by Blicer
I guess jazz related scales?

Nothing jazzy there at all. I guess you could look at funk playing, the rhythm there owes a fair bit to funk.

That said, I don't think you're going to have much luck getting that sound on your own; everything there is a result of the whole, no one part on its own would sound like what I think you want.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by TheGreatTarp
1) I love "Welcome to the NHK"
2) Japanese visual kei rock is the evolution and combination of western influences of rock, jazz, and enka music. I'm sure there's more, but I think looking into that might help? If you want to understand Bou, there is tons of enka in his sound!

1) omg me 2!

2) right on good stuff! enka was something I would have never tied to it until now so ill take a deeper look at that.

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Nothing jazzy there at all. I guess you could look at funk playing, the rhythm there owes a fair bit to funk.

That said, I don't think you're going to have much luck getting that sound on your own; everything there is a result of the whole, no one part on its own would sound like what I think you want.

could I emulate the sound so to speak?
You may want to look into how to compose in that style, because while you could play the visual kei lead guitar parts, without the chords underneath them, it wouldn't have the same sound. Generally, you'll be using major and minor scales, you should learn some lead guitar parts from bands that you like and try to understand why they get that sound and how you can incorporate it into your own playing. To get started, I picked up on a lot of intervals of fifth in the lead guitar playing to make it sound triumphant, so you can have a lick like this;

e -------------/15--
B -/12---13-------
G -----------------
D -----------------
A -----------------
E ------------------

I've bolded the interval of a fifth. Also, take note of the articulation, you'll want to slide into notes fairly often. If you can analyse music in that way, you can easily learn how to play like your favourite guitarists, regardless of genre.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
You may want to look into how to compose in that style, because while you could play the visual kei lead guitar parts, without the chords underneath them, it wouldn't have the same sound. Generally, you'll be using major and minor scales, you should learn some lead guitar parts from bands that you like and try to understand why they get that sound and how you can incorporate it into your own playing. To get started, I picked up on a lot of intervals of fifth in the lead guitar playing to make it sound triumphant, so you can have a lick like this;

e -------------/15--
B -/12---13-------
G -----------------
D -----------------
A -----------------
E ------------------

I've bolded the interval of a fifth. Also, take note of the articulation, you'll want to slide into notes fairly often. If you can analyse music in that way, you can easily learn how to play like your favourite guitarists, regardless of genre.
wow fantastic post! I appreciate this alot and will make good use of it!
Also check out Hair Metal, many influences come from it audibly as well as visually
(<---Hardcore Nightmare/Naitomea fan)
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!