So here I am with another scenario I won't be seeing for a while...

So I have a buddy who records and uploads Cradle of Filth vocal covers on youtube. One day, she decided to make an original song. I clicked the video titled "Original Song?" and it was her telling us to go to her soundcloud in the description since she doesn't want anyone claiming her stuff as theirs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i8nzHSJAYU

I asked her personally to elaborate and she told me she doesn't wholly understand it herself. And there are other complains mostly noted here So now the question:

What steps should I take to ensure my material is noted as my own before uploading to the 'tube?
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Thanks much, I thought (cos of the titles) that there was no posts involving youtube stuff, and there aren't, but it's pretty useful to know the "copyrighting your own material".

I hear YT is pretty iffy about this and even have some copyright trolls who claim that the song is theirs so they can put up an ad on the vid.
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
^^^ Yes I remember just the other day I decided to copyright a video I just saw. And I needed to copyright that video to put an ad on it.

And then I read the copyright sticky and realised that the video was already copyrighted, and that youtube makes money from ads so can put ads on anything upoladed to their site.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I've always been under the impression that YT has some sort of automated "fingerprinter" that scans stuff.

I had a midi arrangement of "Winter Wonderland" that I edited and re-arranged as my own. I added some of my own virtual instruments and then sang my own re-written lyrics to the song with my voice. There is not a recording anywhere like it in the world owned by anyone. Within a couple of hours, YT had flagged it as containing copyrighted material and identified it - correctly - as Winter Wonderland.

There is NO WAY the actual copyright holder for Winter Wonderland could have flagged it him/herself. I had (at that time) hardly any views, so it is extraordinarily unlikely that anyone else flagged it. The few views it had were probably friends who I sent the link to.

I disputed under fair use (it was a parody / political satire ), and YT concurred and allowed the video to stay. I had it monetized and everything. (11 000 views got me about $25 - haha). It was no problem.

An artist I am managing had a video of his flagged as containing copyrighted material. It said that the infringing content started at (whatever time....) 0:21 and told me what song it allegedly infringed upon. I checked out a couple of recordings of said song, and there is literally no resemblance. It is clearly an error that occurred - for whatever reason.

But that article writer is correct... there doesn't seem to be an option that allows for "no, my content does not borrow from that rights holder's material at all."

I'm still working on that one.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.