hey, im thinking of buying an Ibanez s670fm and wondered if it would be worth buying it or spending the money on new pick ups for my currant guitar (s520ex), im buying it mainly to keep them in different tunings, but also because as much as i love my 520, under high distortion it seems become very low and bassy, alhtough not unamplified or with any other effects. thanks for any advice
The S series pickups aren't great at the low end of the price spectrum. It's worth trying a change. I'm just about to put some seymour duncans in my S470.
They are both Ibanez S series guitars so I would expect something very similar, just a bit better quality. Is changing tunings more important for you than better tones? Also, what amp are you playing through? Have you tried tweaking your EQ settings (for example less bass)?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
its not that changing tuning is more important than tone, but i play in a different tuning to my band so im effectively retuning my guitar once or twice a day, which is really infuriating, and the 670 seems to be a slightly higher quality guitar, so should give me a better tone if i can get the money to replace the pickups in that instead of my 520, and it comes with a free case which i need to buy anyway. also im playing through a fender superchamp xd and it still sounds really bassy even with the bass on 1.
if i do buy new pickups though would you have any suggestions on what to buy, i play mostly hardcore and metal with my band, but also alot of bluesy rocky stuff and a bit of classical as well
Yeah, you need another amp for metal stuff. Fender is good for lower gain tones but it's not really designed for high gain distortion tones.

But yeah, if you need to change tunings all the time, it would also be good to buy another guitar. Though I would maybe buy - or at least try - something else to have a bit more variety in tone. I mean, as I said, they are both Ibanez S series so I would expect something really similar. Though if you really love the way your guitar feels, yeah, buy the S670. But I would still suggest going to a store and trying different guitars. Also maybe try your current guitar through different amps. As I said, your amp is not the most ideal metal amp. Go and try some different stuff.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115