I play guitar for about 3 years. Chords , power chords and stuff like this. For about 1 - 1 and a half year I play metal. This days I was trying to play somethink fast and my arm tired in 10-20 seconds. Looking at my arm i saw that the pick is almos perpendicular. I tried to hold the pick like everyone out there does but it feel uncomfortable, very uncomfortable. If I hold the pick like everyone out there does (apoximately parallel to the strings) is impossible to play fast on the 6,5,and 4strings. If i hold the pick almost perpedicular( this means 70 degrees) it is very easely but my hand still tires. Any suggestion?
The pick is always angled. But perpendicular is far too much - you have to hold it parallel to the strings with a slight angle. This angle depends on many things, such as the thickness of your strings, the speed you're paying at and what it is you're playing. But there is always an angle, a slight one.

It is more difficult to hold the pick properly (but not impossible), it takes time and practice. Don't give up just because it seems difficult. This is the point where most guitar payers decide to give up the effort.
Thanks for the reply. I play on 09-42 gauges and at about 160 - 180 bpm. If you can listen to sodom - city of god ,at start is a fast part. This is where my pick agles to much.
I seriously doubt it's the pick angle that is your issue if your arm gets tired.
You are probably too tense, and/or picking from your elbow, rather than your wrist.

Upload a video if you can and you'll probably get a definite answer.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
I am the guy in the right. Skip at about 2.48. You can see my arm better. I can not upload a better video because I am not at home for 1 week.

watch?v=pi4pdC4iXsM
i have exactly the same problem. picking with little angle, and using only my wrist feels uncomfortable for me. i use my elbow with a little bit of wrist.
i use my elbow with a little bit of wrist.

As I play faster, I do the same, adding more elbow. However, if you watch someone like Eric Johnson (watch?v=15eu7ar5EKM), he seems to use all wrist. You'll also notice his hand is very relaxed which allows him to have incredible control, never moving the pick further than needed.

Adrian, watching your video, as you play faster, I notice that your thumb starts to press closer to your first finger. This seems to indicate that you are becoming more tense as you increase speed. This tenseness is what causes your wrist to become sore. This is also one reason you are becoming tired so quickly. You are using more energy than necessary.

Here are a few things that may help:

1) When you play, no matter what speed, try to hold the pick loosely while still maintaining control over it. Pinching harder than needed will make it harder to play, and will create extra tension in your hand.

2) As you speed up, if you need to use your elbow to achieve the speed, try bending your thumb more, instead of extending it. This should provide a bit of added control without causing exhaustion/tenseness.

3) Start over and build up your speed: Play slowly and notice how you hold the pick, how you move the pick, and how the guitar sounds as you play. Once you have found a combination that works when you play slowly, increase your play speed gradually. As you do, focus on maintaining the same form you used when playing slowly. This will take a lot of practice (and patience), but in the end you will be able to play faster with more control and stamina.

Hope this helps!
i experienced a miracle just now. i tried picking with my wrist. (i played scream aim fire by bullet for my valentine) and it just felt so smooth and comfortable. i guess it just comes after a lot of wasted time using the wrong technique. atleast for me. lol.
Quote by adrian.barbu.14
I play guitar for about 3 years. Chords , power chords and stuff like this. For about 1 - 1 and a half year I play metal. This days I was trying to play somethink fast and my arm tired in 10-20 seconds. Looking at my arm i saw that the pick is almos perpendicular. I tried to hold the pick like everyone out there does but it feel uncomfortable, very uncomfortable. If I hold the pick like everyone out there does (apoximately parallel to the strings) is impossible to play fast on the 6,5,and 4strings. If i hold the pick almost perpedicular( this means 70 degrees) it is very easely but my hand still tires. Any suggestion?

Which hand gets tired?

It could be many things really going on in either or both of your hands:

1) Playing with too much tension
2) Making extra movements which then make you try to move faster when this is not necessary

You will find that the secret to playing fast is not in developing strength but in synchronizing your hands very well and cutting off any extra movements and tension.

/Dave