Gather, gather, good people of the forums. I've been looking on ideas for gigging gear and everyone suggests I focus on buying a tube amp first. Now I'm not exactly a gearhead so I thought I'd ask you; Any decent tube amps that can be used to gig in closed spaces (festivals and things like that usually have sound coverage here anyway) that aren't crazily expensive? Let's say something around the 300-400 area would take me a while to gather the cash for, higher than that is pretty hard to do. I'm living in Athens, Greece.
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
If a tube amps what you want then fare enough but from what if seen with gigging musicians and myself is if your amp can play over drums thats good enough let the PA system handle the rest because most gigs you go to will have a PA and a guy and generally if they don't you don't gig there.

I've seen people use roland cubes like the 40 watt version at gigs some people use fender frontman 25 watt version at a outside gig just mic it and go really. Then I've seen more your 100 to 50 watt marshall half stacks and fender tube combo like the deville and bassman.

I'm not into the tube/valve amp notion that it is the god of guitar tone and I more or less think it's the guitar player who makes the amp sound good not the other way around after all Dimebag Darrell when with pantera toured with a Randall RG head and some people regard that as a legendary tone of that era so its all subject to tastes.

It's very hard to answer your question because wattage isn't an indication of tone but of headroom (clean to gain) so I don't know what to tell you that is gig worthy without you going to store's yourself and checking if these amps can play over a drum set. But wattage wise 15 watt tube amps (Lunch box style amps generally around 400 - 500)and higher tend to be the right amount of headroom for a gig just at that volume sweet spot maybe more if you reconsider solid state. This is only me assuming your playing with a PA as going amp alone isn't recommended frankly.

But if you buy something make sure it's something you really like and encourages you to play more and hopefully improve yourself. When you start giging and practicing with other people your playing just takes a huge jump in skill which is good.

P.s If this post was completely useless for you don't worry some random person will say I'm wrong and then say something that's apparently meant to be right. I flat out recommend you go to a store and try out amps yourself and see what you like. Maybe bring a friend who has giging experience and can help you choose.
Last edited by itsonlyauser at Sep 4, 2013,
Right now, Thomann has a great deal on the Ampeg GVT52-212:
http://www.thomann.de/gr/ampeg_gvt52212.htm

Three 12AX7 preamp tubes, two 6L6GC power tubes, spring reverb, 50watt or 25watt mode (switchable)... Hard to find a better deal for that price, IMHO.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I could add some more info I guess. I want something more on the gain side, I'm not using cleans that much and when I do they're usually slightly distorted. I'm not trying to imitate any particular sound, but I do like me some big ass gain. I'm writing original songs only, and I'm currently trying to figure out what would work best for the sounds I have in my head, which is up to me, obviously, to do. I do know though there are some hardcore gearheads here and I really value this forums opinions so I thought I'd get a few suggestions before I go trotting off to try every amp ever made, just to narrow the scope down a bit.
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking hours much more.
I got my Egnator Tweaker 15 watt a while back. Lots of options for tone without resorting to modelling. No hi gain options, though. I put a metal muff in front of it and I can get about anything I want out of it now. I got the head and cab, but they make a combo too. It was $700 US, so it may be close to your price (assuming you mean Euros). The Combo is about $100 cheaper here.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by DickHardwood
I could add some more info I guess. I want something more on the gain side, I'm not using cleans that much and when I do they're usually slightly distorted. I'm not trying to imitate any particular sound, but I do like me some big ass gain. I'm writing original songs only, and I'm currently trying to figure out what would work best for the sounds I have in my head, which is up to me, obviously, to do. I do know though there are some hardcore gearheads here and I really value this forums opinions so I thought I'd get a few suggestions before I go trotting off to try every amp ever made, just to narrow the scope down a bit.

Fair enough but would your local store have website to pick some select few out for you because if your thinking gain and tube with something to gig with then I would have in my head.

Blackstar HT series 20 watt these are made for hard rock and metal. they got quite abit of versatility with its ISF knob can get both american or british gain. They also be an ID series a kinda tube like solid state that i've heard good things about.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_ht_studio_20_head.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/blackstar_id60_tvp_b_stock.htm

laney ironheart 15 watt its a kinda british mesa dream often see it being used by metalcore bands and such but nothing says you can't use it for whatever your doing. alternatively laney do a tony Iommi signature 15 watt which has been hyped to be what tony himself has used in his practices for years before laney released it. Thats obviously got your black Sabbath gain but apparently very versatile.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_ti15_112.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_irt15h.htm

Then orange amps tiny terror series tiny terror original is hard rock and the dark is metal and the new jim root version is a in between but is essentially a mini rockverb.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_tiny_terror.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_dark_terror_head.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/orange_jim_root_terror_amp.htm

Are maybe this i've seen it being used for gainy things and its cheap.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca22h_guitar_head.htm

But these are heads and i don't know if you have a cab so you might be adding 100 to 200 euro to that price tag. I tried to find tube combo but nothing great without going over your budget. Tube amps are expensive and the costs don't end after buying it.

There is a page in the forum dedicated to gear for metal amps i've found usefull. Have both new and used amp models. Anything with the gain assuming it's metal gain your after.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27093244#post27093244

generally the rules with asking for amp or any gear are

say where you live. Check

What genre you play in .

What stores your planning on buying from.

Current gear you have.

Budget . Check

What you need it for e.g practice gigs etc: check

It may seem trivial but all these questions with answers are useful.
Last edited by itsonlyauser at Sep 4, 2013,
Someone recommended me JCA..opinions?
Don't get a blackstar, HT or ID. ID is modeling and while I can't speak for blackstar specifically, modeling left me wanting and the HT is a tube hybrid where the cleans are really clean and it just doesn't break up slowly like a tube amp. The Jet City is probably your best option. I would get the 2 channel 20 watt combo if you have no pedals, though it's more expensive.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by DickHardwood
Someone recommended me JCA..opinions?

yes go with that.

you'll be hard pushed to get a better high gain all-tube amp for that kind of money (heck for twice that kind of money).

JCA 50 head, harley benton g212 vintage cabinet (both on thomann), speaker cable. Maybe pick up a bad monkey (31 euros also on thomann) while you're at it to use as a boost (it doesn't need one but a boost gives you more options). sorted.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bogner alchemist 1x12" combo

The cleans are great and it can go all the way to hard rock/lighter metal.
Has built in Reverb and Delay, both with multiple modes and fully adjustable
2 channels + boost
20 and 40 watt modes
Can be had on ebay for ~$400 usd
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
The 20 head is more closer to my price range, is 20 good enough? I also got recommended a Blackstar cab which is quite affordable, both on thomann.
i haven't tried the 20 (i assume you mean the jca22h)- supposedly it has the same preamp as the 50, but it won't have as much headroom. if you don't need to get superloud it'd probably be ok, but if you're playing bigger gigs the 50 would likely be preferable.

Which blackstar cab were you recommended? It's really, really hard to beat that harley benton cab for the money it goes for. You're basically getting the cab (almost) for free, the speakers alone at retail prices cost almost as much as the cabinet does!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry, I didn't do a proper search before (was slightly buzzed, needed to sleep it off ;p). The ones you recommended are actually both in my price range, sweet. For the bad monkey pedal, I'd have to see if I was satisfied with the sound of the amp on its own, and judging from the reviews, I probably will.
Quote by itsonlyauser
If a tube amps what you want then fare enough but from what if seen with gigging musicians and myself is if your amp can play over drums thats good enough let the PA system handle the rest because most gigs you go to will have a PA and a guy and generally if they don't you don't gig there.

I've seen people use roland cubes like the 40 watt version at gigs some people use fender frontman 25 watt version at a outside gig just mic it and go really. Then I've seen more your 100 to 50 watt marshall half stacks and fender tube combo like the deville and bassman.

I'm not into the tube/valve amp notion that it is the god of guitar tone and I more or less think it's the guitar player who makes the amp sound good not the other way around after all Dimebag Darrell when with pantera toured with a Randall RG head and some people regard that as a legendary tone of that era so its all subject to tastes.

It's very hard to answer your question because wattage isn't an indication of tone but of headroom (clean to gain) so I don't know what to tell you that is gig worthy without you going to store's yourself and checking if these amps can play over a drum set. But wattage wise 15 watt tube amps (Lunch box style amps generally around 400 - 500)and higher tend to be the right amount of headroom for a gig just at that volume sweet spot maybe more if you reconsider solid state. This is only me assuming your playing with a PA as going amp alone isn't recommended frankly.

But if you buy something make sure it's something you really like and encourages you to play more and hopefully improve yourself. When you start giging and practicing with other people your playing just takes a huge jump in skill which is good.

P.s If this post was completely useless for you don't worry some random person will say I'm wrong and then say something that's apparently meant to be right. I flat out recommend you go to a store and try out amps yourself and see what you like. Maybe bring a friend who has giging experience and can help you choose.

Dime is/was a good guitarist with really bad tone. I don't know anyone who would want to replicate that travesty of tone.

I think it is bad when people put guys like Slash/Dime on the pedestals they do, but Slash is IMO 100x the guitar player Dime ever hoped of being, and I think Slash is over-rated

But I do like Jimi, the greatest hack in guitaring history. But I was born on the day he died, so his awesome was transferred to me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 4, 2013,
Quote by DickHardwood
Sorry, I didn't do a proper search before (was slightly buzzed, needed to sleep it off ;p). The ones you recommended are actually both in my price range, sweet. For the bad monkey pedal, I'd have to see if I was satisfied with the sound of the amp on its own, and judging from the reviews, I probably will.

no worries

i will say though that i thought i didn't need an od pedal either until i tried one But it's your call, and if it sounds good to you without the pedal, then no worries.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no worries

i will say though that i thought i didn't need an od pedal either until i tried one But it's your call, and if it sounds good to you without the pedal, then no worries.

Oh, I will try it out, it's really cheap anyway. Thanks a lot by the way.
no problem

Just to clarify, in case you're not used to using an od pedal with a tube amp, normally you set the pedal with the gain very low (0 or slightly above) and the level high (tone to taste, normally around 2 o'clock), so it boosts your signal but adds little pedal dirt. you need to run that pedal setting into an already overdriven amp tone, too, or you'll blow your ears out...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?