So I've got an Orange Dark Terror at the moment. I'm looking to buy a multi effects unit for live performances. I borrowed one last time we played, and used about 5-6 different patches so buying individual pedals will cost far too much.

I want something that has a lot of effects. I notice most are primarily used for amp modelling, which is fine (as long as I can turn it off), but I want something with a decent range of distortions and modulations etc.

Anyone able to recommend me something? So far I've looked into a Vox Tonelab EX (which I like, but I believe there is only about 45 effects), and a Zoom G7.1 (which has 100ish effects, but I think that may be including all the amp models). If anyone has had experience with either, can you let me know your thoughts? Can you turn the modelling off on them and just use effects or is the modelling unable to be turned off?

Looking for something in that price range. Was keen on a POD 500x but they're a bit expensive.
Sounds like you want a Line 6 M9/M13.

Any of those pedals will let you turn the modeling off, but a lot of the buttons and layout are still geared towards using the amp modeling features. So if you're never going to use them there are some units out there like the M series that are effects-only. Plus the L6 effects are all very good, can't say the same about a lot of the Vox and Zoom effects.
Yeah that suits my needs a bit better, although I wouldn't mind something that works as a recording interface too
I got my M13 for 250 used, M9s go for 200-250 used all the time. 400 is a bad deal on a used M13

If you want a recording interface you probably just want one of those POD units though, you can turn off the modeling easily enough.
i use the boss ME-70 and its amazing digital sound with analog controls and it has every boss pedal programed into it. it has 9 user banks that u can customize along with 9 other preset banks. u can use it as a stomp box or use the banks which ever u prefer.
Quote by jeryd.sykes
digital sound with analog controls

That is probably the worst advertisement you could make for a multi-effects unit. It's completely the opposite of what most people want in a modeler.

All the tone of solid state, with the weight and convenience of tubes!
^ +1 I second the Line 6 products

Quote by jeryd.sykes
i use the boss ME-70 and its amazing digital sound with analog controls and it has every boss pedal programed into it. it has 9 user banks that u can customize along with 9 other preset banks. u can use it as a stomp box or use the banks which ever u prefer.

Amazing digital sound kids. What more do you need.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 4, 2013,
My personal favorite for live use is a Boss ME50. I own one and a Zoom G3. The zoom is horrible for live use though. Used ME50s go for $100 all day long.

The M9/13 is a sweet lil multifx so I'll +1 that too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
My personal favorite for live use is a Boss ME50. I own one and a Zoom G3. The zoom is horrible for live use though. Used ME50s go for $100 all day long.

The M9/13 is a sweet lil multifx so I'll +1 that too.

The ME50 is good for modulations & delays etc, but it's pretty poor for drives. I had one for several years, I wasn't disappointed with it overall but I was never satisfied with it's ODs & distortions. It's also not the best to use live if you try using the patch function, they don't change instantly.

I also have the G3 on my board - personally I find it OK for live use, but it sits in my amp's loop & only gets used for occasional modulation effects. I have separate drive pedals these days.

Another good unit to look out for is the TC Nova - it's an analogue unit with digital controls (apparently). I tried one briefly & it sounded great, although I can't comment on what it's like to live with.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud