Startup Project! Basically a website to help musicians find bandmates.

Hello, fellow musicians! I have a favor to ask you guys, I am taking an entrepreneurial journalism class which requires me to do my own startup project. I felt this would be a good time to start a website meant to help aspiring musicians find band mates in their area. I have not started development yet but will very soon. I have a survey, only seven questions and shouldn't take too much of your time. You guys would really be doing me a favor if you filled it out. People like you are my target demographic and your help with this will give me some ideas on decisions to make for this exiting project! Thank you guys in advance! The link is below. Now I have never done this kind of thing before, so if you have any questions, comments, or even suggestions, I am all ears!

[forbidden link]
Well, I just came up with the idea about a week ago or so for my class. What I have in mind is essentially a matching system based on your taste in music, skills, etc. So if you are a punk rock guitarist looking for a drummer, it will send you the profile of a drummer who best suits your criteria. I mean yes there are sites where you CAN find band mates but I am trying to think of a way to have a site that is primarily for finding band mates. I know it is an idea that has potential I still need to figure out a few things, obviously.
Quote by Musicforyou17
I think you are looking for ultimate-musician.com

That is a good way to put it.
Quote by MrSir4
Well, I just came up with the idea about a week ago or so for my class. What I have in mind is essentially a matching system based on your taste in music, skills, etc. So if you are a punk rock guitarist looking for a drummer, it will send you the profile of a drummer who best suits your criteria. I mean yes there are sites where you CAN find band mates but I am trying to think of a way to have a site that is primarily for finding band mates. I know it is an idea that has potential I still need to figure out a few things, obviously.

so basically craigslist
Since the link is forbidden, I can't take your survey. But I do have advice I would like to dispense

There are plenty of sites like that out there. BandMix is a good example. Its a decent place, but it has one major pitfall in my opinion: in order to send messages to other users, you have to upgrade to a paid membership. I can understand withholding certain features from users with free memberships, such as removing ads or uploading music files or videos, but not letting people message other users (aka potential band mates) defeats the whole purpose. Some of us are too poor (or in my case, cheap) to shell out $20 a month when we could just go out into the real world and do almost the same thing sans internet for free.

So yeah, don't charge for stupid stuff. That's all I got. Good luck dude.
There's loads of sites that already do this (we found our singer on one, a few years back) so you've got a lot of competition to beat - if you're serious about it, you need to make sure it stands out from the crowd, does things the others don't, and does the things the others do but better and more user-friendly. It would also need to be marketed and promoted correctly and heavily enough to generate a large and active userbase...

Good luck
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I found my current band here: http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud