Alright fellas, I just got me a Macbook Pro yesterday and so far all I've done is dick about on games - I need to start using it practically. So I got a Line 6 UX1 a while back and used to use it as an interface, just plug a Shure PG58 in to mic my amp (I know it's not a great choice, but I nicked it, hahaha).

My question is: Would you recommend that I got a better interface, or do you think the setup's alright as it is if I just get a better mic? My friend's also got Logic 9 that he can give me a copy of, otherwise I'll probably just stick with using Reaper.
The UX1 is a poor interface, the PG58 is a poor mic. If you want high quality recordings, then both could do with being upgraded.

Also, what amp are you micing up? If you have a crappy amp, your money would be best spent on an improvement there. Now matter how good your interface & mic are, if your amp is crap you'll get a crap recording.

Alternatively, forget micing the amp and plug the guitar straight into the interface and using amp sims.

There's a sticky for interfaces, you should read that.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The UX1 is a poor interface, the PG58 is a poor mic. If you want high quality recordings, then both could do with being upgraded.

They're both more than sufficient for recording guitar amps. Nothing special but certainly not as bad as you make out.

A new mic would be of more benefit I reckon, the PG isn't particularly great for cabs. Check out the Blue Encore 100i, Audix i5, Shure SM57 and Prodipe TT1.

As Gary rightly said, none of this matters if the amp you're recording is crap. In recording, the source is 75% of your sound no matter what mics and preamps you're using.
I agree completely, your sound is the most important thing.

other than that, i use a sm57 seinnheiser e609 combo, sounds great IMO.
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by K'Nuckles
Alright fellas, I just got me a Macbook Pro yesterday and so far all I've done is dick about on games - I need to start using it practically. So I got a Line 6 UX1 a while back and used to use it as an interface, just plug a Shure PG58 in to mic my amp (I know it's not a great choice, but I nicked it, hahaha).

My question is: Would you recommend that I got a better interface, or do you think the setup's alright as it is if I just get a better mic? My friend's also got Logic 9 that he can give me a copy of, otherwise I'll probably just stick with using Reaper.

If you get Logic 9, you'll probably be good with the "Guitar Amp Pro" sim until you'll update to better microphone and interface.

If you really want to mic up an amp, your best bet is probably a set of a 414-like condenser (like an sE4400a or sE2200a II) and an SM57.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Line 6 interfaces have terrible preamps IMO, but the DI inputs are quite good. That being said, doesn't mean you can't get good sounds out of a mic with it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by kyle62
They're both more than sufficient for recording guitar amps. Nothing special but certainly not as bad as you make out.

Sufficient? Yeah, probably.

Certainly not good though. I'm judging the UX1 by reputation rather than experience, but I have the PG58 and the SM58 and when you compare them, the PG58 definitely ranks as very poor. If you compared the PG58 to other cheap SM copies it would probably hold it's own though.

TS - we still need to know which amp you're using for the definitive recommendation for the best upgrade.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Sep 5, 2013,
Quote by K'Nuckles
Alright fellas, I just got me a Macbook Pro yesterday

My friend's also got Logic 9 that he can give me a copy of

First piece of advice, if you can afford a MacBook pro (I can't), then you should not accept anyone "giving you a copy" of software to run on it.

Or just keep using Reaper as you suggested you might. It's a perfectly good package.

Ultimately, the quality of your recordings will not come down to you using Reaper or Logic and will not come down to you using a MacBook Pro. It will come down to what is called the "front end" of your setup - the mics and the preamps.

THAT is where you want to spend your money.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Cheers for all the responses! I've been out today so I haven't had time to reply. I'm running through a Randall RG50TC, was going to upgrade to a 6505+ 112, but I spent the money on this Mac instead. I've done it in the past and it doesn't sound bad by any means, but I think the mic was definitely the worst factor in the sound.