I used to anchor--now i float. I try to as best i can..but fairly often, when i'm playing more difficult pentatonic runs on the higher strings, especially, my hand will brush against the strings and sometimes rest slightly. it isn't the same as when i used to rest the entire heel of my hand on my guitar's bridge, but it's still something and i'm worrying if it's causing friction and impeding my accuracy/speed?
Quote by RyanMW2010
I used to anchor--now i float. I try to as best i can..but fairly often, when i'm playing more difficult pentatonic runs on the higher strings, especially, my hand will brush against the strings and sometimes rest slightly. it isn't the same as when i used to rest the entire heel of my hand on my guitar's bridge, but it's still something and i'm worrying if it's causing friction and impeding my accuracy/speed?

Playing fully floating isn't generally a good idea, most people can't make it work physically and being fully floating makes it much harder to mute properly.

The thing about anchoring is that it isn't just touching the guitar at all. It's touching the guitar in such a way that it causes you extra tension and/or restricts your range of motion. Touching the strings lightly is a good thing because it stops them from sounding when you don't want them to.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have my hand on the strings all the time except to play the lowest two strings, having formerly been used to anchoring on my pinky (I used to press down way too hard if I was playing something fast) I know exactly what excessive tension feels like and lightly resting your hand on the strings isn't really any sort of an issue.
I agree with Zaphod...more importantly your right hand must control the sound coming from the strings. I noticed this as I'm teaching a beginner that we can play the same thing but mine sounds a lot better as I control the strings with my right hand. With distortion you may get major feedback if you do not anchor a bit, though I have a friend who is a great lead player that plays floating...then again he can only play fast because it gets noisy otherwise.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
lay your hand down on the strings gently with no added force, this is very similar to the kind of feeling you should have while playing. If you are pressing against the strings or wrapping your finger around them etc that is anchoring.
it isn't the same as when i used to rest the entire heel of my hand on my guitar's bridge, but it's still something and i'm worrying if it's causing friction and impeding my accuracy/speed?

It's definitely fine to mute unwanted noise and just touch the guitar in general - the problem is if you exert pressure on the guitar to keep your hand fixed.