I go to a lot of forums and websites about playing guitar. But it seems like hardly anyone talks about how to play in a band... you know....

• how to play with other people

• each instruments role in the music

• in general "ensemble playing"

Where do people talk and learn about that?
I imagine a large part of it is learning through mistakes + "common sense", if such a thing exists. I don't know of any thread dedicated to, say, general tips for being in a band, but the Bandleading forum is rife with little niggles and problems people have. Check there.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Quote by CaptainCanti
Because only noobs play with other people.
I remember seeing an album made by this composer who had written and recorded an entire orchestral piece all by himself. I couldn't help but imagine how bad he must have been with other musicians

I'm terrible with bands though. i prefer collabs and jam bands and stuff
ha-haaa
Probably because it isn't something you can really teach. It's all trial and error with no 'correct way' of doing it.

Especially the "how to play with other people"/"ensemble playing" questions. I really can't answer that even with countless years of playing with other people.

Trial + error and common sense really.

Each instruments role in a band...Eh...It's pretty easy to find that out for yourself to be quite honest. There isn't a set answer to it and it does differ from genres and the band itself to what some instruments have what role but overall, you could google this or even just guess, it's a hard one to get wrong.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Because so few people here have any experience with it...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Ive never been in a band but ive performed with others its easy as 123
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Because this is the pit, where we discuss dicks and butts. And sometimes feminism
Sail upon the open skies
Apart from how to book a gig, gear, and sound engineering, is it really rocket science?

EDIT: I mean, if everybody in a band can play along to CDs, they can play along with each other.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Last edited by guitarist41 at Sep 5, 2013,
Rule one of playing in a band:
There are no rules
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Quote by RealGuitarHero
Rule one of playing in a band:
There are no rules

That is self-contradictory.

C unt.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Okay, so here's what you do.

First guitar goes "squiddly wahhhh squiddly wah squiddly wah wah squiddly wah"
Then the drums come in like "doogah BAHgah doogah BAHgah doogah BAHdidiloogah BAHgah"
Then the bass is all like "duhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh buhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh"
All while the rhythm guitar is going "beaERnerBahhhhhhhh dunnunnun BAHHHHHH"

Then singer's like "THROWING LOOKS RIGHT FROM THE START, AND I ALWAYS KNEW YOU'D PLAY THE PART"

and there you go.
Quote by blake1221

Then the drums come in like "doogah BAHgah doogah BAHgah doogah BAHdidiloogah BAHgah"
Then the bass is all like "duhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh buhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh nuhnuh"

Then singer's like "THROWING LOOKS RIGHT FROM THE START, AND I ALWAYS KNEW YOU'D PLAY THE PART"

and there you go.

can this be the UG motto please
ha-haaa
Quote by blake1221

and there you go.

No seriously, watch Instrument by Fugazi. This is 100% serious advice, I honestly implore you to watch that and have your band watch that.
Quote by HoneyboyHart
I'm trying to put a band together now and it is SO hard trying to find people who really get how to play together. It sure doesn't seem easy to me.
I once teamed up with some college mates to play some thrash

the other guitarist wanted generic classic rock tinged metallica

the bass wouldn't stop noodling

the vocalist refused to sing or even write until he had a demo made and just stood there

the drummer just didn't say anything and did what he was told without any creative input

i wanted to mix it with mathcore

Did not end well at all.
ha-haaa
Quote by progdude93
Watch Blues Brothers with your band. That will solve the problems.

I think "The Commitments" would be a better movie to watch.

Or "Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll" with Keith Richards and Chuck Berry... now that's a classic.
Last edited by HoneyboyHart at Sep 5, 2013,
Quote by Banjocal
I once teamed up with some college mates to play some thrash

the other guitarist wanted generic classic rock tinged metallica

the bass wouldn't stop noodling

the vocalist refused to sing or even write until he had a demo made and just stood there

the drummer just didn't say anything and did what he was told without any creative input

i wanted to mix it with mathcore

Did not end well at all.

That sucks because you finally found the perfect drummer
Quote by HoneyboyHart
I think "The Commitments" would be a better movie to watch.

Or "Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll" with Keith Richards and Chuck Berry... now that's a classic.

No seriously, watch Instrument by Fugazi. This is 100% serious advice, I honestly implore you to watch that and have your band watch that.
It's not about hardcore, it's about music in general. You don't have to be a fan to get their message.
Quote by progdude93
I presume it's basically recordings of live shows and interviews, right?

Yeah. That span past the topic of Fugazi. Just fast forward through the live parts and don't throw a hissy fit like shit.