First off sorry if this is in the wrong thread ive looked through the forum and this one seems the right place to ask...maybe.What sort of techniques do i need to be looking at to start learning the way he plays and then being able to improvise my own stuff? Obviously its not quite as easy as pulling up an oasis tab so any help i could get on this would be much appreciated! Im aware of smithsonguitar.net ive learnt a couple of tunes of there like some girls are bigger than others,this charming man but am still clueless as to the technique! Thanks!
I've found it's a lot easier to just start learn the songs by a musician and break them down piece by piece to find the techniques you need. To improvise in his style is simply the same process.
We're all alright!
I saw a great article somewhere a couple years back (when he was playing with Modest Mouse) that had some great info on his techniques but I can't seem to find it now. One thing I know for sure is that he plays with his guitar tuned either a 1/2 step or whole step up... get ready for some broken strings!
Cheers.Yeah i learnt the hard way in regards to tuning.Open D and a capo is a lot safer!
correct me if i'm wrong, but at times he seems to pick out the individual notes of the chords he plays.

i actually had a similar question, so i'll be looking forward to hearing what people say...
Technique wise I can't give you advice as I don't know enough about him as a player, although I think he is quite an avid user of arpeggios.

However a good tip I can give you is when you want to learn the style of a player, learn their songs/licks etc by using your EAR.

It's a lot tougher but the benefits you get from it far outweigh the benefits you get from tabs. You will pick out little stylistic nuances in their playing that you wouldn't get from reading tabs, and you will remember them better due to the fact that using your ear (in the beginning) can be quite tedious due to the constant listening and repetition involved.
There's riddles in the shadows
They're thrown the way that i'd expect
And people never seem to know
What they least suspect is coming next
thanks for all the replies! I've taken them all on board! using my ear as opposed to tablature seems to be the best and most rewarding way!
Quote by askwenger
First off sorry if this is in the wrong thread ive looked through the forum and this one seems the right place to ask...maybe.What sort of techniques do i need to be looking at to start learning the way he plays and then being able to improvise my own stuff? Obviously its not quite as easy as pulling up an oasis tab so any help i could get on this would be much appreciated! Im aware of smithsonguitar.net ive learnt a couple of tunes of there like some girls are bigger than others,this charming man but am still clueless as to the technique! Thanks!

He does alot of picking and strumming, and switching chords n stuff.